a question for glenn

  • jesuit_assassin
    Message 1 of 24 , Jun 2, 2008
      g'day glenn,

      just thought to ask, if strange bird was a beast from st kilda & moo
      was mainly born of east melbourne, could you say where the new one
      will hail from?

      really looking forward to hearing it, as i'm sure we all are.

      hope all is well.

      courteney x
    • J. B.
      Message 2 of 24 , Jun 2, 2008
        Jamaica mon

        To: augiemarch@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 24 , Jun 2, 2008
          i was about to say i'm happy to take bets.

          i'm going with geelong.

          --- In augiemarch@yahoogroups.com, "J. B." <dreambr0ther@...> wrote:

          > Jamaica mon
          >
          > To: augiemarch@yahoogroups.com
          > From: jesuit_assassin@...
          > Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2008 08:43:37 +0000
          > Subject: [augiemarch] a question for glenn

          > g'day glenn,
          >

          > just thought to ask, if strange bird was a beast from st kilda & moo
          >
          > was mainly born of east melbourne, could you say where the new one
          >
          > will hail from?

          > Discover the new Windows Vista
          > http://search.msn.com/results.aspx?q=windows+vista&mkt=en-US&form=QBRE

        • Daniel Riley
          Message 4 of 24 , Jun 2, 2008
            > just thought to ask, if strange bird was a beast from st kilda & moo
            > was mainly born of east melbourne, could you say where the new one
            > will hail from?

            Frankston North (or has that box been ticked with 'Lazy Pines'?) or Brotown
          • brokenspringbird
            Message 5 of 24 , Jun 4, 2008
              Hi there, seems every time I post here I need to apologise for not doing what I said I was
              going to last time, so sorry. To answer your question Courteney, I'd have to say a fair bit
              of it came from long walks by the Yarra as it gets out of town. I didn't have much of a
              chance to travel so it's another Melbourne job. There are a couple of Tassie songs from
              last year and I did start writing while we were in the US so there's a whiff of the long road
              about it, but a classic Autumn in the home town really gave this one legs. We're first night
              in Roundhead as I write this, getting sounds after a few days rehearsal at the Finn joint. I
              love it here, it's a beautiful studio and I think it would hard to make a bad sounding record
              in this environment. Finished a bodgy vid for the site today and will upload after
              everyone's had a go at it. I fear it may only be entertaining to us but you'll get a look at
              what we've been doing. Kiernan's writing one of his blog pieces, I anticipate it'll be the
              kind that makes us sound like knobs and and him sound like a self-deprecating but in the
              end endearing fop. Pretty much on the money then. Given a cooperative hand at Augie
              central both should be up soon.

              Adieu

              --- In augiemarch@yahoogroups.com, "jesuit_assassin" <jesuit_assassin@...> wrote:

              > g'day glenn,
              >
              > just thought to ask, if strange bird was a beast from st kilda & moo
              > was mainly born of east melbourne, could you say where the new one
              > will hail from?
              >
              > really looking forward to hearing it, as i'm sure we all are.
              >
              > hope all is well.
              >
              > courteney x

            • Jamie Campbell
              Message 6 of 24 , Jun 4, 2008

                Thanks for the update Glenn, I’ll assure you that there will be plenty of us looking forward to both the video and Kiernan’s blog with much anticipation. The new album more so.

                Thanks again J

                Hi there, seems every time I post here I need to apologise for not doing what I said I was
                going to last time, so sorry. To answer your question Courteney, I'd have to say a fair bit
                of it came from long walks by the Yarra as it gets out of town. I didn't have much of a
                chance to travel so it's another
                Melbourne job. There are a couple of Tassie songs from
                last year and I did start writing while we were in the US so there's a whiff of the long road
                about it, but a classic Autumn in the home town really gave this one legs. We're first night
                in Roundhead as I write this, getting sounds after a few days rehearsal at the Finn joint. I
                love it here, it's a beautiful studio and I think it would hard to make a bad sounding record
                in this environment. Finished a bodgy vid for the site today and will upload after
                everyone's had a go at it. I fear it may only be entertaining to us but you'll get a look at
                what we've been doing. Kiernan's writing one of his blog pieces, I anticipate it'll be the
                kind that makes us sound like knobs and and him sound like a self-deprecating but in the
                end endearing fop. Pretty much on the money then. Given a cooperative hand at Augie
                central both should be up soon.

                Adieu

                --- In augiemarch@yahoogro ups.com, "jesuit_assassin" <jesuit_assassin@ ...> wrote:

                > g'day glenn,
                >
                > just thought to ask, if strange bird was a beast from st kilda & moo
                > was mainly born of east melbourne, could you say where the new one
                > will hail from?
                >
                > really looking forward to hearing it, as i'm sure we all are.
                >
                > hope all is well.
                >
                > courteney x

              • jesuit_assassin
                Message 7 of 24 , Jun 4, 2008
                  beauty - autumn in melbourne sounds grand indeed. thanks glenn.

                  --- In augiemarch@yahoogroups.com, "brokenspringbird" <augiehot@...>
                  wrote:

                  > Hi there, seems every time I post here I need to apologise for not
                  doing what I said I was
                  > going to last time, so sorry. To answer your question Courteney,
                  I'd have to say a fair bit
                  > of it came from long walks by the Yarra as it gets out of town. I
                  didn't have much of a
                  > chance to travel so it's another Melbourne job. There are a couple
                  of Tassie songs from
                  > last year and I did start writing while we were in the US so
                  there's a whiff of the long road
                  > about it, but a classic Autumn in the home town really gave this one
                  legs. We're first night
                  > in Roundhead as I write this, getting sounds after a few days
                  rehearsal at the Finn joint. I
                  > love it here, it's a beautiful studio and I think it would hard to
                  make a bad sounding record
                  > in this environment. Finished a bodgy vid for the site today and
                  will upload after
                  > everyone's had a go at it. I fear it may only be entertaining to us
                  but you'll get a look at
                  > what we've been doing. Kiernan's writing one of his blog pieces, I
                  anticipate it'll be the
                  > kind that makes us sound like knobs and and him sound like a
                  self-deprecating but in the
                  > end endearing fop. Pretty much on the money then. Given a
                  cooperative hand at Augie
                  > central both should be up soon.
                  >
                  > Adieu
                  >
                  > --- In augiemarch@yahoogroups.com, "jesuit_assassin"
                  <jesuit_assassin@> wrote:

                  > > g'day glenn,
                  > >
                  > > just thought to ask, if strange bird was a beast from st kilda & moo
                  > > was mainly born of east melbourne, could you say where the new one
                  > > will hail from?
                  > >
                  > > really looking forward to hearing it, as i'm sure we all are.
                  > >
                  > > hope all is well.
                  > >
                  > > courteney x

                • agomezhodgson
                  Message 8 of 24 , Jun 5, 2008
                    Thanks for the update. I am really looking forward to the new album
                    and also to a few concerts.

                    wrote:

                    > Hi there, seems every time I post here I need to apologise for not
                    doing what I said I was
                    > going to last time, so sorry. To answer your question Courteney,
                    I'd have to say a fair bit
                    > of it came from long walks by the Yarra as it gets out of town. I
                    didn't have much of a
                    > chance to travel so it's another Melbourne job. There are a couple
                    of Tassie songs from
                    > last year and I did start writing while we were in the US so
                    there's a whiff of the long road
                    > about it, but a classic Autumn in the home town really gave this
                    one legs. We're first night
                    > in Roundhead as I write this, getting sounds after a few days
                    rehearsal at the Finn joint. I
                    > love it here, it's a beautiful studio and I think it would hard to
                    make a bad sounding record
                    > in this environment. Finished a bodgy vid for the site today and
                    will upload after
                    > everyone's had a go at it. I fear it may only be entertaining to
                    us but you'll get a look at
                    > what we've been doing. Kiernan's writing one of his blog pieces,
                    I anticipate it'll be the
                    > kind that makes us sound like knobs and and him sound like a self-
                    deprecating but in the
                    > end endearing fop. Pretty much on the money then. Given a
                    cooperative hand at Augie
                    > central both should be up soon.
                    >
                    > Adieu
                    >
                    > --- In augiemarch@yahoogroups.com, "jesuit_assassin"
                    <jesuit_assassin@> wrote:

                    > > g'day glenn,
                    > >
                    > > just thought to ask, if strange bird was a beast from st kilda &
                    moo
                    > > was mainly born of east melbourne, could you say where the new one
                    > > will hail from?
                    > >
                    > > really looking forward to hearing it, as i'm sure we all are.
                    > >
                    > > hope all is well.
                    > >
                    > > courteney x

                  • Lisa Lee
                    Message 9 of 24 , Jun 5, 2008
                      Thank you, Glenn.

                      I am really looking forward to hearing the new release in due course,
                      and even more so given the below update.

                      wrote:

                      > Hi there, seems every time I post here I need to apologise for not
                      doing what I said I was
                      > going to last time, so sorry. To answer your question Courteney,
                      I'd have to say a fair bit
                      > of it came from long walks by the Yarra as it gets out of town. I
                      didn't have much of a
                      > chance to travel so it's another Melbourne job. There are a couple
                      of Tassie songs from
                      > last year and I did start writing while we were in the US so
                      there's a whiff of the long road
                      > about it, but a classic Autumn in the home town really gave this
                      one legs. We're first night
                      > in Roundhead as I write this, getting sounds after a few days
                      rehearsal at the Finn joint. I
                      > love it here, it's a beautiful studio and I think it would hard to
                      make a bad sounding record
                      > in this environment. Finished a bodgy vid for the site today and
                      will upload after
                      > everyone's had a go at it. I fear it may only be entertaining to
                      us but you'll get a look at
                      > what we've been doing. Kiernan's writing one of his blog pieces,
                      I anticipate it'll be the
                      > kind that makes us sound like knobs and and him sound like a self-
                      deprecating but in the
                      > end endearing fop. Pretty much on the money then. Given a
                      cooperative hand at Augie
                      > central both should be up soon.
                      >
                      > Adieu
                      >
                      > --- In augiemarch@yahoogroups.com, "jesuit_assassin"
                      <jesuit_assassin@> wrote:

                      > > g'day glenn,
                      > >
                      > > just thought to ask, if strange bird was a beast from st kilda &
                      moo
                      > > was mainly born of east melbourne, could you say where the new one
                      > > will hail from?
                      > >
                      > > really looking forward to hearing it, as i'm sure we all are.
                      > >
                      > > hope all is well.
                      > >
                      > > courteney x

                    • Rebecca Barton
                      Message 10 of 24 , Jun 7, 2008

                        Hi Glenn, thanks for the update.  It inspires another question.
                        Some time ago, think it was in ’06, you said you had 14 songs written for the new album, yet here it kind of sounds like most of what you’re recording was written more recently than that.  Are those 14 songs still in contention?  If not, what happens to them?  Do songs get ditched because they’re not considered current anymore, or do you just pick the best ones from any time?

                        “Kiernan's writing one of his blog pieces, I anticipate it'll be the kind that makes us sound like knobs and him sound like a self-deprecating but in the end endearing fop. Pretty much on the money then.”
                        I love the way you just ended up doing exactly that.

                        Caio

                        Message 11 of 24 , Jun 7, 2008

                          Hold on.  Aren’t the “best ones” the songs Glenn isn’t sick of yet?

                          Hi Glenn, thanks for the update.  It inspires another question.
                          Some time ago, think it was in ’06, you said you had 14 songs written for the new album, yet here it kind of sounds like most of what you’re recording was written more recently than that.  Are those 14 songs still in contention?  If not, what happens to them?  Do songs get ditched because they’re not considered current anymore, or do you just pick the best ones from any time?

                        • Richard Gavin
                          Message 12 of 24 , Jun 8, 2008

                            Full on. Tough question...very much looking forward to the genuis thinking behind this :P

                            Message 13 of 24 , Jun 8, 2008

                              Liz wrote:
                              Hold on.  Aren’t the “best ones” the songs Glenn isn’t sick of yet?
                              Well yeah, there’s the quandary.  Is Glenn or the rest of the band really qualified to be making that sort of judgement?  I propose they put all demos up online and let us decide which ones get to continue on in the world.  Who’s with me?

                            • matthigh
                              Message 14 of 24 , Jun 8, 2008

                                I would suggest perhaps that yes, glenn is actually the best person to be making those sort of judgements!!

                                Message 15 of 24 , Jun 8, 2008

                                  Oh, you’re no fun.

                                  ;-)

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Jun 8, 2008

                                    You should see my after a few too many shandies and a good game of scrabble

                                    I would suggest perhaps that yes, glenn is actually the best person to be making those sort of judgements!!

                                  • Mad Cat Lady
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Jun 10, 2008
                                      --- In augiemarch@yahoogroups.com, "matthigh" <matthigh@...> wrote:

                                      > You should see my after a few too many shandies and a good game of
                                      scrabble

                                      > _____

                                      I thought you got that photograph back?
                                      (what is a shandy? - no ... ignore me - I will google)
                                    • matthigh
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Jun 10, 2008
                                        mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

                                        Message 19 of 24 , Jun 10, 2008
                                          Shandy = OMG!!! you do this to BEER TOO!!!!
                                          that is so disgusting
                                          is no alcohol safe from violation?

                                          wiki also mentioned 'diesel shandy' - cola and beer - I thought this
                                          was just something Ben Lee made up cause he needed a quirky rhyme
                                        • Mad Cat Lady
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Jun 10, 2008
                                            sorry
                                            that was probably an over reaction on my part
                                            my parents only ever gave us straight beer or wine when we were kids

                                            i don't think it ever occurred to anybody to cut it with lemonade
                                          • Rebecca Barton
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Jun 10, 2008

                                              Sam wrote:

                                              my parents only ever gave us straight beer or wine when we were kids

                                              That does explain a lot.

                                            • Mad Cat Lady
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Jun 10, 2008
                                                GR said: "Kiernan's writing one of his blog pieces, I anticipate it'll
                                                be the kind that makes us sound like knobs and him sound like a self-
                                                deprecating but in the end endearing fop. Pretty much on the money
                                                then."

                                                Bec said: I love the way you just ended up doing exactly that.

                                                MCL says: Ms BeckleFreckle! I can't believe you just agreed that
                                                Glenn sounds like a knob! I am shocked! Shocked I tell you!
                                              • Rebecca Barton
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Jun 10, 2008

                                                  You’re an exceptionally nasty piece of work, Sam.
                                                  Good to have you back.

                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Jun 17, 2008
                                                    --- In augiemarch@yahoogroups.com, "Mad Cat Lady" <samantha.brown@...> wrote:

                                                    > Shandy = OMG!!! you do this to BEER TOO!!!!
                                                    > that is so disgusting
                                                    > is no alcohol safe from violation?
                                                    >
                                                    > wiki also mentioned 'diesel shandy' - cola and beer - I thought this
                                                    > was just something Ben Lee made up cause he needed a quirky rhyme

                                                    Can't believe you didn't know what a Shandy is, it must be a sheltered life coming from
                                                    Queensland.

                                                    Glenn has to write more than the album's worth, how else will he have b-sides for the
                                                    numerous singles that will be released??