Re: general question about older stuff

  • Niki
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 1, 2007
      while we're on important issues which have to be answered on a case by
      case basis, how many consecutive Augie shows can one fan go to before
      the band starts to feel that things are getting a bit creepy?

      (I pass this question along for the benefit of others who would like
      to know (not mine - I am not financially capable of this... uh. yet))

      --- In augiemarch@yahoogroups.com, "nettlej" <jami.nettles@...> wrote:

      > This question is for Glenn, but if you all know the answer then
      > please jump in or point me to the appropriate post. I'll probably
      > get ripped anyway.
      >
      > Glenn, you have made it clear how you feel about a lot of your older
      > material. As a fan I really want to hear it but I don't want to piss
      > you off or trample on your rights to your own art. I did not hear
      > you until 04, am just now acquiring anything other than the LPs,
      > never saw a live performance until this year, never heard an
      > unreleased song tried out on an intimate audience or all of those
      > other things your Australian fans have experienced through time. I
      > want to catch up and hear it all and know what you were saying and
      > assimilate it - to understand you all as band and what you are trying
      > to convey in your music.
      >
      > The question: From your point of view, where does our interest in
      > things you no longer play or never published turn offensive? Is it
      > that we listen to bootlegs at all or is it the demand it creates -
      > the offering of body parts to play them live, the stalking for
      > lyrics, etc., after you have moved on? I doubt you want US audiences
      > full of people who only know a couple of songs, but I feel somehow
      > guilty now going back and listening to and loving these earlier
      > things that you dismiss and quite frankly, I didn't pay for and don't
      > really have a right to.

    • Ada Lam
      Message 2 of 17 , Nov 1, 2007
        Not sure about that question... but I /can/ tell you the answer to the
        question:

        'how many times can one fan tell Glenn that he and his girlfriend have
        made sweet, sweet lurve to an Augie March song before things get a bit
        creepy?'

        The answer is: none.

        Ahhh... good times, good times.

        Niki wrote:

        > while we're on important issues which have to be answered on a case by
        > case basis, how many consecutive Augie shows can one fan go to before
        > the band starts to feel that things are getting a bit creepy?
        >
        > (I pass this question along for the benefit of others who would like
        > to know (not mine - I am not financially capable of this... uh. yet))
        >
        > --- In augiemarch@yahoogroups.com
        > <mailto:augiemarch%40yahoogroups.com>, "nettlej" <jami.nettles@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > This question is for Glenn, but if you all know the answer then
        > > please jump in or point me to the appropriate post. I'll probably
        > > get ripped anyway.
        > >
        > > Glenn, you have made it clear how you feel about a lot of your older
        > > material. As a fan I really want to hear it but I don't want to piss
        > > you off or trample on your rights to your own art. I did not hear
        > > you until 04, am just now acquiring anything other than the LPs,
        > > never saw a live performance until this year, never heard an
        > > unreleased song tried out on an intimate audience or all of those
        > > other things your Australian fans have experienced through time. I
        > > want to catch up and hear it all and know what you were saying and
        > > assimilate it - to understand you all as band and what you are trying
        > > to convey in your music.
        > >
        > > The question: From your point of view, where does our interest in
        > > things you no longer play or never published turn offensive? Is it
        > > that we listen to bootlegs at all or is it the demand it creates -
        > > the offering of body parts to play them live, the stalking for
        > > lyrics, etc., after you have moved on? I doubt you want US audiences
        > > full of people who only know a couple of songs, but I feel somehow
        > > guilty now going back and listening to and loving these earlier
        > > things that you dismiss and quite frankly, I didn't pay for and don't
        > > really have a right to.

      • J. B.
        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 1, 2007
          I found it was around the 15-20 mark. it's when you heckle them guitar
          tunings that the restraining order kicks in

          >From: "Niki" <stickwriter@...>
          >To: augiemarch@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: [augiemarch] Re: general question about older stuff
          >Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2007 08:07:59 -0000
          >
          >while we're on important issues which have to be answered on a case by
          >case basis, how many consecutive Augie shows can one fan go to before
          >the band starts to feel that things are getting a bit creepy?

        • kristin
          Message 4 of 17 , Nov 1, 2007
            hmmmm.... i don't feel the least bit guilty for downloading the
            older stuff (or care if i piss Glenn off). i would never download
            anything that was available for purchase. and if they put all this
            stuff on a nifty little cd, i'd buy it. (i'd prefer that
            actually.) but this is the only way i can hear most of those
            songs. and, well... i'm selfish. :)

            i'm pretty sure Dally offered to take it all down if the band or
            management didn't want it up there. so i'm assuming they didn't
            object. and if they did object.... well, i might not spread it
            around. but i wouldn't go deleting it off my hard drive either.
            (told you... selfish.)

            jumping off on "the how many shows until it's creepy" theme... i
            almost never talk to the bands i go see. (i could count the times on
            one hand. even if there were fingers missing.) and i've often
            wondered... does that make it even creepier?!

            not that i'll change my behavior. i'm just curious.
          • Bec Barton
            Message 5 of 17 , Nov 1, 2007

              Ha! Yeah :-)

              Message 6 of 17 , Nov 1, 2007
                To reply to the early question, however pertinent Ada's question is, it's isn't offensive at all
                Jami (how are you by the way?) it's just that none of those songs got a chance before they
                went bad on me and for that reason it makes me a little bit angry that they didn't when the
                question pops up. It's not irritation at the person interested, it's probably directed at
                myself that I didn't manage the stupid cycle of writing and recording in a major label/
                touring band system better. I think it's enough that they're out there in whatever mangled
                form and you can interpret them anyway. They were never complete in any case so if
                someone grabbed them on mp3 at a show then they basically belong to anybody who
                wants them. I'm sure you can also understand the desire to go forward - I just rehearsed
                for a few hours and not one of the songs played was written after 2004. It's a bit of a drag
                sometimes.

                --- In augiemarch@yahoogroups.com, Ada Lam <adahylam@...> wrote:

                > Not sure about that question... but I /can/ tell you the answer to the
                > question:
                >
                > 'how many times can one fan tell Glenn that he and his girlfriend have
                > made sweet, sweet lurve to an Augie March song before things get a bit
                > creepy?'
                >
                > The answer is: none.
                >
                > Ahhh... good times, good times.
                >
                > Niki wrote:
                > >
                > > while we're on important issues which have to be answered on a case by
                > > case basis, how many consecutive Augie shows can one fan go to before
                > > the band starts to feel that things are getting a bit creepy?
                > >
                > > (I pass this question along for the benefit of others who would like
                > > to know (not mine - I am not financially capable of this... uh. yet))
                > >
                > > --- In augiemarch@yahoogroups.com
                > > <mailto:augiemarch%40yahoogroups.com>, "nettlej" <jami.nettles@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > This question is for Glenn, but if you all know the answer then
                > > > please jump in or point me to the appropriate post. I'll probably
                > > > get ripped anyway.
                > > >
                > > > Glenn, you have made it clear how you feel about a lot of your older
                > > > material. As a fan I really want to hear it but I don't want to piss
                > > > you off or trample on your rights to your own art. I did not hear
                > > > you until 04, am just now acquiring anything other than the LPs,
                > > > never saw a live performance until this year, never heard an
                > > > unreleased song tried out on an intimate audience or all of those
                > > > other things your Australian fans have experienced through time. I
                > > > want to catch up and hear it all and know what you were saying and
                > > > assimilate it - to understand you all as band and what you are trying
                > > > to convey in your music.
                > > >
                > > > The question: From your point of view, where does our interest in
                > > > things you no longer play or never published turn offensive? Is it
                > > > that we listen to bootlegs at all or is it the demand it creates -
                > > > the offering of body parts to play them live, the stalking for
                > > > lyrics, etc., after you have moved on? I doubt you want US audiences
                > > > full of people who only know a couple of songs, but I feel somehow
                > > > guilty now going back and listening to and loving these earlier
                > > > things that you dismiss and quite frankly, I didn't pay for and don't
                > > > really have a right to.

              • Ada Lam
                Message 7 of 17 , Nov 1, 2007
                  Is this to some extent (and for once I'm not being flippant) you not
                  being happy with the person you were five or ten years ago? I don't mean
                  that to be rude... just wondering whether it's a wish that you could go
                  back to your younger self and talk about all the things you wish you
                  knew back then.

                  brokenspringbird wrote:

                  > To reply to the early question, however pertinent Ada's question is,
                  > it's isn't offensive at all
                  > Jami (how are you by the way?) it's just that none of those songs got
                  > a chance before they
                  > went bad on me and for that reason it makes me a little bit angry that
                  > they didn't when the
                  > question pops up. It's not irritation at the person interested, it's
                  > probably directed at
                  > myself that I didn't manage the stupid cycle of writing and recording
                  > in a major label/
                  > touring band system better. I think it's enough that they're out there
                  > in whatever mangled
                  > form and you can interpret them anyway. They were never complete in
                  > any case so if
                  > someone grabbed them on mp3 at a show then they basically belong to
                  > anybody who
                  > wants them. I'm sure you can also understand the desire to go forward
                  > - I just rehearsed
                  > for a few hours and not one of the songs played was written after
                  > 2004. It's a bit of a drag
                  > sometimes.
                  >
                  > --- In augiemarch@yahoogroups.com
                  > <mailto:augiemarch%40yahoogroups.com>, Ada Lam <adahylam@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Not sure about that question... but I /can/ tell you the answer to the
                  > > question:
                  > >
                  > > 'how many times can one fan tell Glenn that he and his girlfriend have
                  > > made sweet, sweet lurve to an Augie March song before things get a bit
                  > > creepy?'
                  > >
                  > > The answer is: none.
                  > >
                  > > Ahhh... good times, good times.
                  > >
                  > > Niki wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > while we're on important issues which have to be answered on a case by
                  > > > case basis, how many consecutive Augie shows can one fan go to before
                  > > > the band starts to feel that things are getting a bit creepy?
                  > > >
                  > > > (I pass this question along for the benefit of others who would like
                  > > > to know (not mine - I am not financially capable of this... uh. yet))

                • nettlej
                  Message 8 of 17 , Nov 2, 2007
                    Thank you for the thoughtful response - it makes sense. I was just
                    blown away by some of this stuff and could not figure out why you
                    had washed your hands of it.

                    --- In augiemarch@yahoogroups.com, "brokenspringbird" <augiehot@...>
                    wrote:

                    > To reply to the early question, however pertinent Ada's question
                    is, it's isn't offensive at all
                    > Jami (how are you by the way?) it's just that none of those songs
                    got a chance before they
                    > went bad on me and for that reason it makes me a little bit angry
                    that they didn't when the
                    > question pops up. It's not irritation at the person interested,
                    it's probably directed at
                    > myself that I didn't manage the stupid cycle of writing and
                    recording in a major label/
                    > touring band system better. I think it's enough that they're out
                    there in whatever mangled
                    > form and you can interpret them anyway. They were never complete
                    in any case so if
                    > someone grabbed them on mp3 at a show then they basically belong
                    to anybody who
                    > wants them. I'm sure you can also understand the desire to go
                    forward - I just rehearsed
                    > for a few hours and not one of the songs played was written after
                    2004. It's a bit of a drag
                    > sometimes.
                    >
                    > --- In augiemarch@yahoogroups.com, Ada Lam <adahylam@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Not sure about that question... but I /can/ tell you the answer
                    to the
                    > > question:
                    > >
                    > > 'how many times can one fan tell Glenn that he and his
                    girlfriend have
                    > > made sweet, sweet lurve to an Augie March song before things get
                    a bit
                    > > creepy?'
                    > >
                    > > The answer is: none.
                    > >
                    > > Ahhh... good times, good times.
                    > >
                    > > Niki wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > while we're on important issues which have to be answered on a
                    case by
                    > > > case basis, how many consecutive Augie shows can one fan go to
                    before
                    > > > the band starts to feel that things are getting a bit creepy?
                    > > >
                    > > > (I pass this question along for the benefit of others who
                    would like
                    > > > to know (not mine - I am not financially capable of this...
                    uh. yet))

                    > > > --- In augiemarch@yahoogroups.com
                    > > > <mailto:augiemarch%40yahoogroups.com>, "nettlej"

                    LPs,

                    Is it

                  • blueswansofwinter
                    Message 9 of 17 , Nov 3, 2007
                      Hmmm, don't know! I find that shyness tends to get in the way.

                      --- In augiemarch@yahoogroups.com, "Bec Barton" <bec@...> wrote:

                      > Ha! Yeah :-)

                    • trinabenina
                      Message 10 of 17 , Nov 3, 2007
                        Tune your G string down! Hahaha

                        Message 11 of 17 , Nov 3, 2007
                          shutup you

                          >From: "trinabenina" <trinabenina@...>
                          >To: augiemarch@yahoogroups.com
                          >Subject: [augiemarch] Re: general question about older stuff
                          >Date: Sun, 04 Nov 2007 04:05:23 -0000
                          >
                          >Tune your G string down! Hahaha
                          >

                          >--- In augiemarch@yahoogroups.com, "J. B." <dreambr0ther@...> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > I found it was around the 15-20 mark. it's when you heckle them guitar
                          > > tunings that the restraining order kicks in
                          > >

                          > > >From: "Niki" <stickwriter@...>
                          > > >To: augiemarch@yahoogroups.com
                          > > >Subject: [augiemarch] Re: general question about older stuff
                          > > >Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2007 08:07:59 -0000
                          > > >
                          > > >while we're on important issues which have to be answered on a case by
                          > > >case basis, how many consecutive Augie shows can one fan go to before
                          > > >the band starts to feel that things are getting a bit creepy?

                          > > Don't just search. Find. Check out the new MSN Search!
                          > > http://search.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200636ave/direct/01/

                        • trinabenina
                          Message 12 of 17 , Nov 3, 2007
                            Ah that was exactly what I expected. Don't worry, I have worse, but
                            I'm never ever ever going to tell you

                            --- In augiemarch@yahoogroups.com, "J. B." <dreambr0ther@...> wrote:

                            > shutup you
                            >

                            > >From: "trinabenina" <trinabenina@...>
                            > >To: augiemarch@yahoogroups.com
                            > >Subject: [augiemarch] Re: general question about older stuff
                            > >Date: Sun, 04 Nov 2007 04:05:23 -0000
                            > >
                            > >Tune your G string down! Hahaha
                            > >

                            > >--- In augiemarch@yahoogroups.com, "J. B." <dreambr0ther@> wrote:
                            > > >
                            > > > I found it was around the 15-20 mark. it's when you heckle them
                            guitar
                            > > > tunings that the restraining order kicks in

                            > > > Don't just search. Find. Check out the new MSN Search!
                            > > > http://search.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200636ave/direct/01/

                            FREE!

                          • J. B.
                            Message 13 of 17 , Nov 3, 2007
                              I accept that challenge. You WILL tell me.

                              >From: "trinabenina" <trinabenina@...>
                              >To: augiemarch@yahoogroups.com
                              >Subject: [augiemarch] Re: general question about older stuff
                              >Date: Sun, 04 Nov 2007 04:31:54 -0000
                              >
                              >Ah that was exactly what I expected. Don't worry, I have worse, but
                              >I'm never ever ever going to tell you
                              >

                              >--- In augiemarch@yahoogroups.com, "J. B." <dreambr0ther@...> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > shutup you
                              > >

                              > > >From: "trinabenina" <trinabenina@...>
                              > > >To: augiemarch@yahoogroups.com
                              > > >Subject: [augiemarch] Re: general question about older stuff
                              > > >Date: Sun, 04 Nov 2007 04:05:23 -0000
                              > > >
                              > > >Tune your G string down! Hahaha

                              >guitar

                              >case by
                              >before

                              > > Express yourself instantly with MSN Messenger! Download today it's
                              >FREE!

                              http://search.msn.com/
                            • trinabenina
                              Message 14 of 17 , Nov 3, 2007