Re: Off Topic - I just had to tell somebody

  • Catherine Macneil
    Message 1 of 9 , May 1, 2007
      ask him if *he* thinks the computer can recognise the difference
      between 0 and 1

      (ok, that was a really bad joke)

      --- In augiemarch@yahoogroups.com, "Samantha" <samantha.brown@...>
      wrote:

      > sorry - spam sam again, but I just had to tell somebody.
      >
      > Man at work was having trouble with getting his spreadsheet to add
      > properly and has just asked me if the computer can recognise the
      > difference between the letter 'O' and the number zero.

    • Ada Lam
      Message 2 of 9 , May 1, 2007
        I'll remember that the next time I call up helpdesk and they ask me if
        I've tried getting out of the program and restarting it.

        Samantha wrote:

        > sorry - spam sam again, but I just had to tell somebody.
        >
        > Man at work was having trouble with getting his spreadsheet to add
        > properly and has just asked me if the computer can recognise the
        > difference between the letter 'O' and the number zero.

      • Bec Barton
        Message 3 of 9 , May 1, 2007
          Tenuous Augie connections... This passage was quoted in a book I just read,
          and it seemed that the general message would fit nicely into Good Ship
          Austria. Of course I have only heard said song once and may have completely
          mistaken it's intent. Either way, it's disturbing just how well this can be
          applied to our current society, and to modern western governments in
          general, even though it was written in 1628 about something that occurred
          2000 years earlier still. So I thought I'd share:

          "In those days it was impossible for a man to give good and profitable
          counsel for the commonwealth, and not to incur the displeasure of people.

          "For their opinion was such of their own power, and of the facility of
          achieving whatsoever action they undertook, that such men only swayed the
          assemblies, and were esteemed wise and good commonwealths men, as did put
          them upon the most dangerous and desperate enterprises. Whereas he that
          gave them temperate and discreet advice, was thought a coward, or not to
          understand, or else to malign their power.

          "And no marvel: for much prosperity (to which they had now for many years
          been accustomed) maketh men in love with themselves; and it is hard for any
          man to love counsel that make him love himself the less. And it holdeth
          much more in a multitude, than in one man. For a man that reasoneth with
          himself, will not be ashamed to admit of timorous suggestions in his
          business, that he may the stronglier provide; but in public deliberations
          before a multitude, fear (which for the most part adviseth well, though not
          execute so) is seldom or never admitted.

          "By this means it came to pass amongst the Athenians, who thought they were
          able to do anything, that wicked men and flatterers drave them headlong into
          those actions that were to ruin them; and the good men either durst not
          oppose, or if they did, undid themselves."

          - Thomas Hobbes, on Thucydides' account of the Peloponnesian War, c.400BC
        • Bec Barton
          Message 4 of 9 , May 1, 2007
            Not a bad joke, but the significance of it would probably be lost on him :-)