RE: [augiemarch] Asleep in Perfection on Sunset Studies

  • Scott Herbert
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 2000
      From a recording artist perspective, it'd be nice to come anywhere close to
      breaking even on recording costs, artwork, pressing the discs etc.

      The amount of cash I've invested in recordings over the last 6 years (not
      including the amounts put up by record labels) would give me a nice European
      holiday. I'm still paying off a personal loan (plus the 13% or so interest)
      I took out 4 years ago to record my first band's EP. Available for $10 in
      the stores, I saw the money return in such dribs and drabs it was usually
      only enough to buy a beer or two after a gig.

      Anyone who brings forward the argument that CDs aren't worth it (caveat to
      follow) hasn't bought the right CDs, or hasn't wasted their money on $40
      designer drugs or a $35 carton of beer or a $40 dinner at a
      restaurant.....The only excuse for this argument is when the record company
      has a ridiculous profit margin, but I wouldn't know about that, every
      release I've been involved in has been funded off of the back of someone I
      personally know, if it wasn't myself.

      Oh yeah, back to work.

      Skot.

      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 1, 2000
        yeah good call liz- of course i'd prefer to have a new song on the
        album but if AIP is going to help augie fund their adelaide tour, i
        can deal with it! :)

        also people, dont forget to vote for HIYR on jjj superrequest and net
        50- have YOU voted for them this week?? :) cos it all helps in
        getting the music out there and getting the cash rolling towards AM
        rather than some shite punk band who wouldnt know originality if it
        slapped them in the face with a trout! or something (apologies for
        the in-joke).
        have a lovely day, jayne :)