Re: O/T: Does anyone have any preliminary "Top Ten Of 2004" lists yet?

  • whozza_bunyip2
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 1, 2004
      Elbow's Cast of Thousands is great.

      --- In augiemarch@yahoogroups.com, "alilley" <alilley@y...> wrote:
      > * Devendra Banhart - Rejoicing in the Hands (that or Nino Rojo,
      which
      > I haven't bought yet)
      > * Sufjan Stevens - Seven Swans
      > * Iron & Wine - Our Endless Numbered Days
      > * Ryan Adams - Love Is Hell
      > * Modest Mouse - Good News For People Who Love Bad News
      > * Franz Ferdinand - Franz Ferdinand
      > * Elbow - Cast of Thousands
      > * Talvin Singh & Sangat - Songs For The Inner World : Live At La
      > Basilique, Saint Denis
      > * Sivert Hoyem, & The Opposition - Ladies & Gentlemen Of The
      > Opposition
      > * Bjork - Medulla
      >
      > yet to be released:
      > * Joseph Arthur - Our Shadows Will Remain
      > * Elliott Smith - From a Basement on the Hill
      >
      > I think this is the first year i have so many Americans on my
      list.

      > Devendra will be touring in Australia in November, btw. They are
      still
      > in the process of booking, but keep your eyes peeled on this page:
      > http://www.younggodrecords.com/ArtistNews/NewsDeta
      > il.asp?ArticleID=864&ArtistID=14
      >
      > Angela
    • wes ryan
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 1, 2004
        Talking top ten's....oh it's good to be alive.

        The top 3 shuffle day to day

        1. Youth Group-Skeleton Jar
        2. Snow Patrol-Final Straw
        3. The Music-Welcome to the North
        4. Interpol-Antics
        5. The Devoted Few-Billboard Noises
        6. Dallas Crane-Dallas Crane
        7. Deloris-Fake Our Deaths
        8. Speedstar-Forget The Sun, Just Hold On
        9. Wilco- a Ghost Is Born
        10.Art of Fighting-Second Storey

        11.Powderfinger live/Darran Hanlon/Grinspoon

        nb Deloris is slowly working it's way up the list and attention should be paid to the fact that Youth Group hav been fighting off the challengers all year.

        fakeplasticspivey <fakeplasticspivey@...> wrote:
        Nothing final, obviously. But if you were to choose what you feel is
        the top ten albums of 2004, what would they be? This can include
        reissues, singles, EPs or new full lengths. Please keep it to only
        ten.  I'm interested to see how it differs from country to country.

        In no particular order, mine would be as follows:

        The Bees - Free The Bees
        Augie March - Strange Bird (US release)
        Iron & Wine - Our Endless Numbered Days
        The Magnetic Fields - i
        Of Montreal - Satanic Panic In The Attic
        Sondre Lerche - Two Way Monologue
        TV On The Radio - Desperate Youth, Blood Thirsty Babes
        Franz Ferdinand - Franz Ferdinand
        Gomez - Split The Difference
        AC Newman - The Slow Wonder

        Please do not open an attatchment unless you know exactly what it is. If in doubt, email the sender.

        Post message: augiemarch@yahoogroups.com
        Subscribe:  augiemarch-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
        Augie March offical site: www.augie-march.com

      • Andrew Weaver
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 1, 2004

          …emerging from my lurkage due to the excitement generated by the news that Cam Bruce and Moon Rivers have both signed 3-year deals with the Dees

          New warriors:
          Hope of the States – The Lost Riots

          Kanye West – The College Dropout

          Polly Paulusma – Scissors in My Pocket

          The Sand Pebbles – Ghost Transmissions

          Centipede – Save Your Cool Soul

          Shannon Wright – Over the Sun

          Horse Stories – One Hundred Waves

          Tamas Wells – A Mark on the Pane

          The Dillinger Escape Plan – Miss Machine

          The Dissociatives – The Dissociatives

          Returning heroes:
          Eskimo Joe – A Song is a City

          Burning Brides – Leave No Ashes

          Blonde Redhead – Misery is a Butterfly

          Kasey Chambers – Wayward Angel

          Interpol – Antics

          The Libertines – The Libertines

          The Vines – Winning Days

          Art of Fighting – Second Storey

          Betchadupa – Aiming For Your Head

          The Devoted Few – Billboard Noises

          Old farts:

          Bob Dylan –The Bootleg Series Vol. 6: Concert at Philharmonic Hall

          Björk – Medúlla

          Wilco – a ghost is born

          modest mouse – Good News For People Who Love Bad News

          Patti Smith – Trampin’

          Jim White – Drill a Hole...

          Mark Lanegan Band – Bubblegum

          Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds – Abattoir Blues/Lyre of Orpheus

          Morrissey – You Are the Quarry

          Loretta Lynn – Van Lear Rose

          Björk is prolly my overall fave for the year, followed by HOTS and Wilco, not including the Dylan re-release.

          Plus I’ve heard the debut Dappled Cities Fly, the new 78 Saab, the new Jimmy Eat World, the last Elliott Smith and the new …And You Will Know Us By the Trail of Dead, and they’re all excellent.  Haven’t had a chance to really delve into the new Ed Harcourt yet, and did I see someone mentioning a newie by Joseph Arthur?  God I wish he’d tour.

          I’m hanging out for this new English band called the Departure – another nü-rock Gang of Four type thing, but I love the single.  Yet to hear the Faint or the Fiery Furnaces, and I’m looking forward to both.  And the Mansun boxset release of their fourth album should be out soon.  The Travis Morrison solo album should be out soon too.  I can’t believe it, but I’m actually really looking forward to the new U2.  I was with the most recent one, and I thought it shit apart from “Elevation”.  Hope the newie’s better.  Six by Seven’s “04” is out in the UK now I think, and I doubt it’ll get an oz release, so I’ll probably import it.

          When’s that wilco book thing out?  That should be good too.  I think the year started poorly, but has really picked up in the last few months.  Or perhaps that’s just bcoz I’ve managed to get my grubby wee hands all over a bunch of Ryan Adams bootlegs.

          a.

          -----

          The Electric Newspaper

          http://www.theelectricnewspaper.com