Re: DEFINITIVE!!!!!!!!!! rank the songs

  • thegondolaman
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 1, 2004
      I couldn't be bothered doing b-sides as I originally planned, but I
      might as well now.

      1. 300 Nights
      2. Nagambie River Wine Song
      3. Lazy Pines
      4. Difficult Stuff
      5. Strange Visitors

      - ttttom (I forgot this bit last time!)
    • amy ireland
      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 2, 2004
        I can't for the life of me muster the temerity to order & shuffle
        all those brilliant songs but, but... there is one divide I CAN make:
        Number one and forever my favourite Augie March song is Heartbeat &
        Sails.
        If anything ever can make me happy no matter what, it's that song.
        amy
      • elevenpasteleven
        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 5, 2004
          --- In augiemarch@yahoogroups.com, "Matthew High" <matthigh@m...>
          wrote:

          > I couldn't resist...

          and thank you for doing so! it's always good to hear further bits of
          info & other such wonderful nonsense about these songs that we all so
          deeply admire...

          so where are the comments about Strange Bird? please bring them on!
          when you have time of couse... and, i don't want to put you in an
          awkward position, but which album is your favorite - Sunset Studies
          or Strange Bird? i realise it's a pretty pointless question... they
          are both wonderful & we all know that, but if you had to choose... if
          you were forced to choose... if your house caught fire & you could
          only grab one of them (pretend copies don't exist) which one would it
          be?

          for me, i think it would have to be Strange Bird. even though it
          features one of my least favorite augie tracks ('the vineyard') it's
          just got certain songs - brundisium, the night is a blackbird,
          sunstroke house, song in the key of chance, addle brains (i think i
          prefer the demo version though...) etc - & a certain overall feel
          (which i believe is missing from Sunset Studies, perhaps due to the
          fact that it was recorded in so many pieces & stuck together) that
          make it the one for me. the band just sounds so focused on that
          record... like they really knew what they were going to do & how they
          were going to do it so they grabbed the bull by the horns & just went
          for it. it's wild-eyed, where Sunset Studies is perhaps more misty-
          eyed. then again, SS contains some of my all time favorite augie
          tracks - HIYR, sunset studies, tulip, good gardner, heartbeat &
          sails, TINSP, owen's lament.... i could go on.

          now i'm confused. they make fantastic records don't they. anyway,
          just wondering matt what you think. possibly the same as me.

          what direction does everyone think the new album to take... i haven't
          had the pleasure of hearing any live recordings of glenn performing
          new tracks solo, but i'm not sure it matters... once the band takes
          ahold of them they often change into very different beasts.

          cheers

          > 1. Future Seal (so good I named the company after it. Brings back
          vivid
          > memories of being excited as hell and usually drunk when they'd
          start
          > playing it at Punters Club etc)
          > 2. Come With Me (wasn't originally going to be on the CD...was
          recorded
          > by the band after the studio sessions, and had all the homespun
          > character we have come to love about the band)
          > 3. Movie Mondays ("hey look and there goes a wheelchair..." one of
          the
          > very first parts of an augie song that I fell for. Driving around
          Sydney
> [...]
          pile
          > of leaves was actually a dummer?)
          > 5. Sunset Studies ("gundagai..." verse is astonishing. We stopped in
          > Gundagai between Sydney and Melbourne during Waltz touring and
          played on
          > the canons like kids - I think Adam or Dave pretended to be Cher in
          the
          > Turn Back Time video, maybe that was Glenn's inspiration?!)
          > 6. The Good Gardener (boy what a sleeper. I voted against this
          being on
          > the album when it seemed everything wouldn't fit. Thank fuck I have
          no
          > say in things like that).
          > 7. The Offer (The Smiths write a Western theme. Recorded after the
          main
          > sessions for the album, along with TINSP and maybe Tulip? Stands
          alone
          > in the repertoire, because it prefers it that way).
          > 8. Here Comes the Night (used to be if Glenn sang the 2nd verse up
          high
          > then the gig was going to be a good one - this started the set
          pretty
          > often back then.)
          > 9. Men who follow spring the planet 'round (sometimes my poor kids
          get
          > sung this to send them off to sleep)
          > 10. Angels of the Bowling Green (wondered what the fuck they thought
          > they were doing at first, but man this thing is beautiful)
          > 11. Tasman Awakens ("the honeys gone candy in the condiment
          cupboard"
          > how does he think of shit like that)
          > 12. Believe Me
          > 13. Maroondah Resevoir (parts of this are amazing ("the lake.."),
          but
          > the recording didn't quite boil my kettle)
          > 14. Heartbeat and Sails (hearing it 200 times with a horrible
          hangover
          > during the video shoot killed this for me. )
          > 15. Asleep in Perfection (feels a bit out of place on the record,
          which
          > is partly my fault)
          >

          > that'll do for now. Thanks for indulging me.
          >
          > 1. The Keepa
          > 2. This Train will be taking no passengers
          > 3. O Song
          > 4. The Night is a Blackbird
          > 5. O Mi So Li Lon
          > 6. Sunstroke House
          > 7. There's something at the bottom of the blackpool
          > 8. Brundisium
          > 9. The Drowning Dream
          > 10. Song in the Key of Chance
          > 11. Little Wonder
          > 12. Addle Brains
          > 13. The Vineyard
          > 14. Up the Hill and Down
          >
          > And Top 5 B-Sides:
          >
          > 1. 300 Nights
          > 2. Driving on Paradise
          > 3. Nagambie River Wine Song
          > 4. Strange Visitors
          > 5. Sunday Morning Records
          >
          > tim w.
          >

          > Please do not open an attatchment unless you know exactly what it

        • Matthew High
          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 6, 2004
            Well, I couldn't choose between the 2 albums. but if I had to only grab
            one cos my house was on fire, I'd grab Sunset Studies for kinda
            nostalgic reasons I guess.

            I think your comments on SS vs SB are insightful.