Big Meadows

  • Rhonda
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 8, 2009
      Hey Dana, i remember reading something you wrote about the Big Meadows area of Sequoia National Monument, been meaning to check it out, and i finally made it up there. We stayed in the Big Meadows campground, unit 5, a sweet little spot right on Big Meadows creek. No drinking water, so bring your own, but it's free! And like you said, there are lots of places up that road and also up Quail flat road, for primitive camping. Some of those spots have picnic tables and most have fire rings. We're planning to do that soon.
      We saw lots of wildlife~ a bear, plenty of deer, marmots, squirrels, hawks, quail, etc. I'm glad i took my winter gear because it snowed. Yes, snow in June! There are several hiking trails up there, and a pack station if you want to go horseback riding. A great spot, and not many people. Thanks for the tip!
      Photos here
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/25319266@N04/sets/72157619450479374/

      Happy trails,
      Rhonda
    • Mark
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 17, 2009
        ---Hi Rhonda,
        Those pictures look excellent.Sounds like a pretty good place to camp.
        Does that campground have bathrooms, or do you have to go "self contained? Is this campground likely to fill up quickly this summer?
        I was looking for a place to go in mid July.
        Mark
      • Rhonda
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 21, 2009
          Mark, there are three campgrounds on Big Meadows Road. None of them have drinking water (we brought a container and filled it at the Stony Creek campground on the way there). All three have pit toilets.
          I would guess that if you are going on a weekend, the campgrounds might be full, but during the week there is room to spare.
          And you could always opt for the primitive campsites. All along Big Meadows road and Quail Flat road, there are little side roads with camp sites. The ones we scoped out had fire rings, some of them picnic tables, none of them have bathrooms or drinking water. A lot were near Boulder creek, which seemed more like a river due to snow melt and rain.
          The nice thing about the primitive campsites, is that you are alone, and don't have to deal with a reeking pit toilet that your drunken neighbors peed on in the middle of the night while they were howling at the moon. Remember if you do opt for the primitive campsite, you need to get a campfire permit (you don't need a permit for fires in the campground).
          http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sequoia/passespermits/campfire_permit/campfire-index.html