Re: Adventure Passes

  • lttlbddy
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 6, 2002
      Paolo, I just noticed that you are in Santa Barbara.

      The Los Padres NF has an Adopt A Trail program as well. I suggest
      that you contact one of the Ranger Stations and get some current
      info on their program.

      It has been a while since I have been to one of their meetings.

      Steve G

      PS There is also a National Forest "Volunteer" program. The Adopt
      A Trail program has "volunteers". The Volunteer program is
      different but works well together with the AAT program. You may be
      interested in this as well.
    • dana_mite_
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 6, 2002
        You guys can check out the Los Padres National Forest page on
        Total Escape. It has all the rangers phone numbers & tons of
        great imagery, links & campground.
        http://totalescape.com/active/campstuff/NF/lospadres.html

        Dana Williams
        webmaster@...
        Total Escape - http://totalescape.com
        California - Off the Beaten Path

        --- In atotalescape@y..., lttlbddy <no_reply@y...> wrote:
        > Paolo, I just noticed that you are in Santa Barbara.
        >
        > The Los Padres NF has an Adopt A Trail program as well. I
        suggest
        > that you contact one of the Ranger Stations and get some
        current
        > info on their program.
        >
        > It has been a while since I have been to one of their meetings.
        >
        > Steve G
        >
        > PS There is also a National Forest "Volunteer" program. The
        Adopt
        > A Trail program has "volunteers". The Volunteer program is
        > different but works well together with the AAT program. You
        may be
        > interested in this as well.
      • paolo
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 7, 2002
          --- In atotalescape@y..., lttlbddy <no_reply@y...> wrote:
          > The Los Padres NF has an Adopt A Trail program as well. I suggest
          > that you contact one of the Ranger Stations and get some current
          > info on their program.
          > PS There is also a National Forest "Volunteer" program. The Adopt
          > A Trail program has "volunteers". The Volunteer program is
          > different but works well together with the AAT program. You may be
          > interested in this as well.

          Thanks Steve, and thanks Dana for the web page. I know about a
          volunteer program but it's mostly for hikers only... I'll inquire!

          Cheers,
        • paolo
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 9, 2002
            --- In atotalescape@y..., lttlbddy <no_reply@y...> wrote:
            > I have been told that the Forest Service will extend the Adventure
            > Passes for a comparable amount of time to compensate for the
            > closures. What I mean is that if the closure is for two months and
            > your Adventure pass was supposed to run out in July, it will now be
            > good till September.

            This is what I've received:

            Date: November 8, 2002 San
            Bernardino National Forest
            1824 S. Commercenter Circle
            FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE San Bernardino, CA
            92408
            CONTACT: Tricia Abbas
            (909) 866-3437 ext. 3610

            Partial Lifting of Forest Closure

            Due to the arrival of much needed rainfall in the San Bernardino
            Mountains, Forest Supervisor Gene Zimmerman is partially lifting the
            Forest closure north of the I-10 freeway. The closure of remote
            areas has been in effect since October 3. As of noon on Friday,
            November 8, citizens are once again allowed to use this portion of
            the Forest. The San Jacinto Ranger District will remain closed.

            The Blue Cut and Louisiana fire areas near Lytle Creek will remain
            closed in order to protect the severely burned areas from further
            damage.

            "I am pleased to be opening a portion of the Forest again," said
            Zimmerman. "I hope the rain continues. Our Forest is clearly in
            need of moisture, but Forest visitors need to remember that the
            Forest has been in a drought for 4 years. The vegetation is unlikely
            to recover with just one good storm. The danger of fire still exists
            in the Forest. Enjoy the Forest, but be careful out there."

            The weather forecast for next week is predicting warm, sunny days,
            and possibly Santa Ana winds. Forest managers may be forced to
            re-close remote areas of the Forest, if the weather returns to a warm
            and dry cycle. In the meantime, Forest users are encouraged to enjoy
            the weekend and use the Forest responsibly.

            Fire restrictions will still be in place. All campfires are banned.
            For further information about fire restrictions, including chainsaw
            operations, call your local Ranger Station.

            Woodcutting will be available in open areas of the Forest.
            Woodcutting permits that expired during the Forest closure may be
            redeemed. Citizens are asked to take the expired permit to their
            local Ranger Station or the Big Bear Discovery Center for extension
            of permit. New woodcutting permits will also be available at local
            Ranger Stations and the Big Bear Discovery Center.

            Many recreation visitors have bought annual Adventure Passes in
            support of their National Forests here in southern California. These
            visitors, particularly the hunters, have been most highly impacted by
            the reduced use of their annual passes. Forest Supervisor Zimmerman
            has announced that all annual Adventure Passes are automatically
            extended for 3 additional months if they were valid after September
            1, 2002. A special "Annual Pass Exchange" program has been announced
            for hunters, covering hunt zones affected by the closures. The
            exchange program will be implemented within two weeks, and will
            provide hunters affected by the closures a new Adventure Pass valid
            through December 2003. Hunters who believe they qualify for the
            Annual Pass exchange program should call Project Headquarters at
            909-884-6634, ext 3120.

            The vast majority of National Forest visitors have bought their
            Adventure Passes because they want to see their National Forests
            taken care of and protected. Southern California National Forests
            use Adventure Pass funds for Forest improvements and protection, and
            are needed now that part of the closures and restrictions are lifted.
            Forest Supervisor Zimmerman asks that the public continue their
            support of the National Forests by renewing their Annual Adventure
            Passes during this difficult time. The support will help to keep
            their National Forests safe, clean, and protected.

            For information concerning the status of National Forest closures and
            restrictions on the Angeles National Forest, please call 626-574-5208
            and Cleveland National Forest, call 858-674-2901.

            For more information, contact the San Bernardino National Forest offices:
            Big Bear Discovery Center-909.866.3437
            Lytle Creek Ranger Station (including information about the Louisiana
            and Blue Cut areas)-909.887.2576
            Mill Creek Ranger Station-909.794.1123
            Sky Forest Ranger Station-909.337.2444
            Supervisor's Office-909.383.577
          • dcstory91765
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 9, 2002
              Great news!! I heard on the news that the forests were opening all
              but the badly burnred areaas. Nice to know that they are extending
              our Adventure Pass for three extra months. Happy Wheeling

              DON