Re: fused ribbed mirrors

  • Roman Toledo
    Message 1 of 60 , Jul 2 2:22 PM
      --- In atm_free@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Janstrom" <t_janstrom@...> wrote:

      > Steer clear of gypsum if you're going to go up to fusing temps as it
      > will out-gas sulphur dioxide, which is murder on the kiln elements.
      >
      > For slumping it might be ok, but it does shrink and is prone to
      > cracking. You can get around that a little by adding either silica (300
      > or so mesh) or alumina (about the same mesh) 1:1 (plaster to silica or
      > alumina) and @5% of grog (crushed insulating fire brick is ok for this)
      > or alumino-silicate bulk fibre or better yet pure alumina bulk fibre to
      > the total mix. Mix everything dry, then in a bucket add your estimated
      > amount of water, then add the dry mix to the water, well if you've made
      > a plaster tool you know the rest.
      >
      > Anything based on calcium carbonate is only good to about 800'C (about
      > 1450'F) where it will turn into CaO and promptly start to dissolve into
      > your glass, not what you want to happen.
      >
      > Cheers, Thomas.

      has anyone in this group considered or knows of a low carbon steel
      plate with walls at 45 degrees welded on as a form to build flat
      blanks or stainless steel instead of low carbon steel?

      any views or opinions are appreciated.
    • mtolb25356@aol.com
      Message 60 of 60 , Jul 7 4:56 PM
        In a message dated 7/6/2006 2:37:20 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, richas@... writes:
        >but at least she does not have horns, pitchfork, tatoo, nose ring or tongue piercing.
        lol my wife dose tho so have a care ;) (not the horns tho but sometimes i wonder)

        >(Those religious Jews do not use birth control; the girl is of one of eleven children in her family.  Is it fair to kids to pack them four or five to a room?)

        eek wow we stopped at 3