Cleaning mirror before testing polish?

  • Mitchell
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 3, 2006
      I have a question (hence the message :p). I have polished now for
      7.5 hours (after having to go back to grinding) and the polish is
      approaching completion. After polishing this evening though, i cleaned
      the mirror with a clean dry cloth and pointed the laser on the mirr
      (45 degree angle, or about) and it almost passed completely through.
      Then i wiped it again with a differen't cloth to make sure there was
      no cerium reside or anything and the laser was still quite dim, but
      noticably brighter. I have seen this "phenomina" quite a bit as i've
      been polishing. So what the best, hopefully surefire way of cleaning
      the glass so i can use the laser test. (turpentine? Water? soap would
      leave a residue)

      Mitch
    • Mitchell

          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 5, 2006
            Hi Mitchell,
            if you go on polishing you'll find easier to wash your mirror with simple neutral soap (better if it's not added with creamy components) and then common water; one or two paper napkins of a good quality brand (please don't ask me to put advertisements here) will allow you to dry the mirror without danger. Little risk to scratch it, if one doesn't use brutal force. Be always gentle (pay attention, don't let your mirror drop down when your hands are soaped, feel sure and conscious of your fingers' pressure while you hold it).
            I admit I have a good water here, containing a very small quantity of salts.
            Best Regards
            Salvatore
            37°03'N
            14°15'E

            Mitchell <Funnybone101@...> ha scritto:
                 I have a question (hence the message :p). I have polished now for
            7.5 hours (after having to go back to grinding) and the polish is
            approaching completion. After polishing this evening though, i cleaned
            the mirror with a clean dry cloth and pointed the laser on the mirr
            (45 degree angle, or about) and it almost passed completely through.
            Then i wiped it again with a differen't cloth to make sure there was
            no cerium reside or anything and the laser was still quite dim, but
            noticably brighter. I have seen this "phenomina" quite a bit as i've
            been polishing. So what the best, hopefully surefire way of cleaning
            the glass so i can use the laser test. (turpentine? Water? soap would
            leave a residue)

            Mitch

          • starzkey
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 8, 2006
              I use a wet, synthetic chamois cloth for this purpose. It gets most
              of the CEO residue, doesn't scratch the glass ( i would worry about a
              dry cloth doing this), and takes up most of the water used so the
              surface drys quickly. Any small residue left can then be easily
              removed with a windex wipe, followed by an acetone wipe (a lint free,
              oil free tissue like Chem-dry or lens tissue works best here).

              The synthetic Chamois cloths were a great find, are resuable many
              times, and available cheap in the auto parts section at Walmart, or on-
              line at Mcmaster Carr supply.

              Scott Milligan