rebuilding a 6" f/15

  • zeldaboy101
    Message 1 of 36 , Jul 31, 2005
      Hi all,

      Im new to ATMing and just got a 6" f/15 jaegers for dirt cheap. Its
      not going to be my main observing scope or anything, just a planetary
      killer and a show piece, plus something fun to work on for a while.

      Its in green PVC pipe so im rebuilding the entire OTA and need to make
      a mount. I dont want to folded, I want a big impressive scope. Im
      going with a simple alt/az mount to hold it and an aluminum tube.

      A few details im still working on, the focuser. I cant sink too much
      into this. The williams optics refractor focuser looks nice but they
      offer one without a mounting base for $50 less, so I figure I could
      just rig up a way to attach it and save $50? I dont think it will have
      a long draw tube though, i'd like around 5-6" of length. I was
      recommend the burgess optical 2" crayford for $89, doesnt rotate but
      its supposed to be good. Anybody know if it is as good as the WO? Are
      there other options for $150 or less?

      The mount and all is also still fairly up in the air. I know I want a
      dob like mount on a tall tripod. I can get a set of big 5-6' long legs
      BUT I think they're too big for my nissan sentra. Im making the tube a
      split tube, 3 sections, that way I can transport it. I can get the big
      legs for dirt cheap too so maybe get them and cut them down a bit? If
      I made a short pier for the mount to go on that could shorten the legs
      a lot. Would maybe 4' tall legs and a 1' tall pier be a good
      combination? The tube is 90" long, I dont mind getting on the ground
      but I dont want the public to be on the ground that much, trying to
      keep it like a 1' to 1 1/2' off the ground at zenith.

      Does anybody have plans for a baffle system like the size increments
      and distance for each one? I'll likely be using a 7" OD tube. I plan
      on rigging up a mount this summer. Im a college student so it wont be
      worked on much during the fall. I'd want the mount to be done in time
      for mars though, then rebuild the OTA that winter probably because of
      finances this summer. If I get lucky I might be able to do it this
      summer though...

      Any thoughts on how to connect the aluminum tubing? I cant thread it
      and its not perfectly round. Its coming from hastings pipe company.

      thanks,
      Jeremy
    • zeldaboy101
      Message 36 of 36 , Aug 16, 2005
        Im going with 2 joints, so it'll break down to 3 pieces. I cant get a
        big tube in my nissan sentra, so this works out real well.

        Jeremy