Off to the races

  • bucko_62
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 1, 2002
      Hello everyone,

      Today I will be picking up the plywood for my
      mount. Got the plans all laid out,so its time to get this show on the
      road, so to speak.
      I am a carpenter so i do not foresee to much problem with the
      mount,but then again even the best laid plans can go astray.

      I want to make a nine point floatation cell, but am curious about the
      metal triagles,how thick a material should they be?. do they really
      just sit there on the pivot points?.
      Would it be wise to use plywood for the base of the cell?. my mirror
      is a piece of 7/8th glass,10 inch diameter.

      I will try not to pester you all to much over the next few days, but
      I will have a few questions alone the way.

      Take care all Rick.
    • Doug Tanaka
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 1, 2002
        Hi Rick,

        With your piece of glass I'd think 1/8" thick would be fine. I'd advise
        against using a ferrous metal if you plan on using RTV adhesive to hold the
        mirror. I did that on our club's mirror and it slid off about a month
        later. We thought perhaps the metal needed roughing up to hold the
        adhesive so we tried again and it still came loose in a couple of
        months. It seems that the RTV adhesive accelerated oxidation. Aluminum or
        stainless is much better. I actually used 1/2" Plexiglas triangles. We
        also used 3/4" plywood for the mirror cell base, with T-nuts for the
        adjusters, and it works fine. Good luck.

        Doug Tanaka