the big pitch experiment...

  • waldo kitty
    Message 1 of 4 , May 1, 2013
      i read about this a few years back and then have just seen this article over at
      The Register... thought i'd share it with everyone...

      http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/04/30/viscous_experiment_at_fever_pitch/

      so... who's gonna camp on the webcam feed and be the first to report the drop
      falling? ;)

    • peter de baan
      Message 2 of 4 , May 1, 2013
        Is this real Gugolz pitch? like # 64
        Iam waiting,
        peter

        --- In atm_free@yahoogroups.com, waldo kitty <wkitty42@...> wrote:

        > i read about this a few years back and then have just seen this article over at
        > The Register... thought i'd share it with everyone...
        >
        > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/04/30/viscous_experiment_at_fever_pitch/
        >
        > so... who's gonna camp on the webcam feed and be the first to report the drop
        > falling? ;)
        >
        > --
        > private contact is specifically requested and granted.

      • waldo kitty
        Message 3 of 4 , May 1, 2013
          On 5/1/2013 19:14, peter de baan wrote:
          > Is this real Gugolz pitch? like # 64

          my understanding is that it is plain old (raw?) pitch... not modified stuff like
          gugolz and other commercial pitch products... there's a like to the site in the
          article and they should have all the details there ;)

          > Iam waiting,
          > peter
          >
          > --- In atm_free@yahoogroups.com, waldo kitty<wkitty42@...> wrote:
          >>

          >> i read about this a few years back and then have just seen this article over at
          >> The Register... thought i'd share it with everyone...
          >>
          >> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/04/30/viscous_experiment_at_fever_pitch/
          >>
          >> so... who's gonna camp on the webcam feed and be the first to report the drop
          >> falling? ;)

        • paul valleli
          Message 4 of 4 , May 1, 2013
            There is another part to this demo that is not shown that demonstrates the elasticity of pitch that doesn't need decades to illustrate.
            Make a thick 'string' of pitch, say 1/8th inch diameter by several inches long. Bend it into a circle and let go. The amount it springs back illustrates the temper and elasticity.
            #55, bends with little springback
            #64 springs the most
            #72 springs back but not as much
            #84 and #92 shatter unless it is very warm.

            It is not clear whether Gugolz distills off volatiles to get harder pitch but that is the usual process.
            The other techniques add back turpentine for softening or cherry rosin for hardening.
            If the pitch in the funnel is the original 1927 material, it is now much harder and more viscous.
            Starman Paul