RE: [atm_free] Re: Need help with figuring

  • Madhukar Bhatia
    Message 1 of 139 , Feb 1 2:34 AM
      Hi Waldo,

      I was doing completely random movements till very recently without counting rounds and set increments. It was mainly based on time and/or total number of strokes. So it was either 10 minutes of large-W strokes or 20 sets of 5 to 6 large W strokes in one position.

      But some of the recipes that I read were in terms of number of rounds around the barrel. For example, if it is TOT, then I suppose the Mirror is fixed on the barrel. You will polish a bit in one position and then walk to a different position around the barrel and so on. You would probably walk a fixed number of steps (give or take one) around the barrel. In my case (of having no barrel to walk around) this will translate to "polish a bit, rotate the mirror a bit" such that 10-13 rotations will bring the mirror back to starting orientation.

      If I need to stop counting the increments and rounds, then how do I interpret the steps provided by Jerry and others? Probably just convert it in to number of strokes or time from number of rounds?

      I have one more question. It appeared to me as if you and others having three motions involved here. After every 4-5 strokes in one configuration, you
      - Move around the barrel
      - Rotate the mirror in one direction
      - Rotate the tool in the other direction.

      But that does not make sense to me because in the end you are re-orienting only two items. Whether I do it by just moving those two items directly or by a combination of 10 factors, should not make any difference.

      Am I missing something? Is there any advantage of doing these three things? If so, I will need to figure out a way to translate to my case where I work on a large table and cannot move around it.

      Regards,

      Madhukar Bhatia
      nFactorial Software
      Cell: +91-98225-98638
      www.nFactorial-Software.com

      Message 139 of 139 , Feb 23 1:09 PM
        Vladimir, I don't know the answer to that question but the admonishment read many times on the Zambuto group rings true.  Select a glass that is worthy of one's efforts.

        Personally, if the glass is sufficiently thick, I don't believe a few millimeters of eccentricity over a mirror of that diameter will prevent Madhukar from completing a usable mirror.

        Perhaps if I compare a few hundred more star tests against OF results I'll change my tune, but it appears that OF residual astigmatism is often more pessimistic than what appears at the eyepiece.  I suspect that is because of the many variables and difficulties of trying to measure a fraction of a wavelength taken from a igram generated by a webcam, surplus glass, cheap laser, fabricated by an ATM who is all thumbs in a dusty garage.

        Still, it is remarkable that we can do this at all.

        Mark