Re: powder coating

  • Greg
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1, 2009
      Greg, I bought a cheap powder coat sytem to fool around and see what
      it's like. I am very pleased with the results so far. The finish is
      very durable. I took a piece I had powder coated and hit it with
      a hammer a number of times to see how durable the coating was. I
      dented the piece before I damaged the coating. But there are a few
      things to consider.

      1. A powder coat finish is thicker than paint (at least mine are) so
      parts that need to fit into each other must be masked off.

      2. A usual cure time is around 400 degrees F for 10 minutes. This
      means the object must stay in the oven unitl in reaches 400 plus
      another 10 minutes. So whatever is powdercoated must be able to
      withstand those temps for those periods.

      3. Not all powders are the same. Since I've been powdercoating stuff
      that is to be outside I've used a powder that is made specifically
      for that.

      4. You need an oven to bake the object, therefore you are limited to
      the size of your oven. I'm using an old electric range therefore my
      parts have to be small.

      I've had larger items powder coated at a local place I found. They
      did a good job and were reasonbly priced. Check around and I'm sure
      that you'll find someone in your area who can do the job for you.

      Hope this helps.

      --- In atm_free@yahoogroups.com, "fijisoldier" <fijisoldier@...>