Orion Telescopes mirrors

  • Laurentiu Alimpie
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 1, 2002
      Hello !
      This is my first time when I post a message on this group. I`m
      planning to
      build a 8 inch telescope and for this reason I intend to purchase a
      mirror,
      besides the fact I have absolutely no practice in grinding one
      myself. Now,
      I have a question for anyone who might answer: how about the 8 in
      mirrors
      that Orion Telescopes sells usually ? I want to know something about
      the
      quality of those mirrors and I am especially interested if anyone did
      some
      tests and which are the results. If someone has a reason to say that
      is any
      other company that sells 8 in mirrors in the same range of prices and
      of
      better quality, please, let me know.

      Thank you very much,

      Laurentiu
    • planetmanwest
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 2, 2002
        Hello,
        A few years ago I bought a 6 inch f/8 mirror from Orion and it
        is a very fine, sharp mirror. It shows straight Ronchi lines to the
        edge, splits Epsilon Lyra cleanly, shows delicate diffraction rings
        in good seeing, and I have used it in excess of 300 power to
        advantage on planets.
        However, as with any commercial producer of optics, quality is
        probably variable. I can only say that the one mirror I bought from
        them is quite good.

        - Jim S.