RE: [atm_free] Re: should I build a telescope?

  • Jim Jefferis
    Message 1 of 32 , Dec 1, 2007

      Thanks for the reply!  Since I posted my question I have decided that I WILL build a scope.  Once I started fantasizing about building my own, the thought of buying something off the shelf just seemed boring!  I’ll end up spending more, but I know I will understand the equipment much better and it will really be my own.  Who knows, maybe I can even make a better scope than I could buy from Orion et al.

      I’m looking at the standard dobsonian plans from the San Fransisco Sidewalk Astronomers, though I want to compare them to other plans that may be out there.  (Any suggestions?)

      Also, does anyone know how primary mirrors from Coulter Optical (http://www.e-scopes.cc/) or Anttlers (http://www.geckooptical.com/anttlers_optics/telescope_acc_atm.html) compare to the quality of the off-the-shelf Chinese scopes?  I’m trying to decide if I would be satisfied with one of these less expensive mirrors or if I should wait until I can afford more of a premium mirror.  I’ve also had the thought that maybe I should just go with a 12 inch mirror, but I don’t want to get carried away by aperture fever!

      Jim Jefferis

      Rochester, NY

      Message 32 of 32 , Dec 13, 2007
        --- In atm_free@yahoogroups.com, David Adams <elrey314159265359@...>
        wrote:

        > The Krieg and Berry book will lay out all the pros and cons to
        that decision. So it might be helpful to at least borrow a copy.

        > David

        The niceest thing about the Krieg and Berry book to me when I read it
        is they really go into the thought of the telescope. Not just, how
        big and how much it will cost, etc, but

        how big are you willing to go and still use it OFTEN? where will you
        put it, how will you move it around, do you like ladders or no, do
        you want to have a grab and go, or something with more aperature, who
        will be using the scope, and where, will you need to fit it in a car,
        if its too big you wont use it so you have to do some soul searching
        on how big you want to go there, etc.

        Mitch