Re: A great loss to the group has occurred...

  • Donald Clement
    Message 1 of 24 , Jan 1, 2007
      "All-examining Censure, with her hundred eyes and her thousand
      tongues, soon discovers and as speedily divulges in all quarters
      every least crime or foible that is part of their true character.
      This clips the wings of their ambition." Gossip can also, he noted,
      promote virtue, as some people are motivated more by fear of public
      humiliation than they are by inner moral principles. " 'What will the
      world say of me if I act thus?' is often a reflection strong enough
      to enable us to resist the most powerful temptation to vice or folly.
      This preserves the integrity of the wavering, the honesty of the
      covetous, the sanctity of some of the religious, and the chastity of
      all virgins."

      ~Benjamin Franklin

      --- In atm_free@yahoogroups.com, Mark Holm <mdholm@...> wrote:

      > Donald Clement wrote:
      > >

      > > "Gabba Gabba hey!"
      > >
      > > The impetus for this group was to be able to post (even OT posts)
      > > without the censorship of a moderator as is the case in the
      original
      > > atm mail list. That's why it was called ATM-Free. Richard was one
      of
      > > the founders of this list. The idea was that it was assumed every
      > > member had the intelligence to do his/her own
      filtering/censorship.
      > > Then anonymous gdhabas comes along and demands
      moderation/censorship.

      > He wasn't anonymous. He signed his messages, "Greg".
      >
      > > Wonder if gdhabas is really the something akin to Benjamin
      > > Franklin's Silence Dogood?
      >
      > No.
      >
      > > The amazing part is that many of you on this list went along
      calling
      > > for censure of Richard . Shame on you!
      >
      > Here is my take on the gbhabas - Richard exchange.
      >
      > Greg started his group membership with some polite, on topic stuff
      about
      > plywood for Dob's. On an unrelated, but contemporaneous thread,
      Richard
      > let loose an OT, barely coherent, ill-humored, poltical-social
      rant. I
      > and other experienced list members know it is Richard's form of
      humor,
      > and though I don't like it much, I tolerate it. The problem is, it
      is
      > still OT, barely coherent, ill-humored, political-social rant.
      >
      > Then, when Greg questioned whether he had stepped through the wrong
      > door, Richard let him have another unfriendly dose off list. Greg
      > decided he had indeed stepped through the wrong door, turned and
      left.

      > So, which is the worst evil? Judicious moderation or chasing away
      > newcomers that are sincerely interested in atm?
      >
      > I have been a member of the "original" atmlist.net for several
      years,
      > and have seen the moderation at work. In my considered opinion,
      > moderation has worked very well there. A few people that had
      trouble
      > keeping a civil tone have been straightened up, or ushered out. A
      few
      > lengthy OT threads have been extinguished. New members keep
      showing up
      > on the list, the atm discussion is wide ranging. The tone of
      discussion
      > is amazingly polite and friendly. I'd say it is a win-win.
      >
      > --
      > Mark Holm
      > mdholm@...

    • pdebaan
      Message 2 of 24 , Jan 1, 2007
        Bob May is stil in Palomar Hospital in Escondido at least for the next
        two weeks, he is healing up slowly and has no computer contact, but
        possible by the end of the month, he wishes the group a good 2007

        Peter