24258Re: [atm_free] Re: Coaters [1 Attachment]

  • paul valleli
    Nov 18, 2013
      For Joe:
      The whitish area after the silvering process is fairly common and is likely from trace contamination.
      The most common is a trace of salt in one of the solutions. It has no effect on optical testing of
      the surface figure. I have had it on occasion, despite trying very hard to maintain purity.
      The problem gets worse as the solution concentrates age, even when refrigerated.
      Working solutions are only good for 12 to 24 hours.
      Starman Paul

      On Sun, Nov 17, 2013 at 2:05 PM, Aldo Moraga <aldo.moraga@...> wrote:

      [Attachment(s) from Aldo Moraga included below]

      No, this was not the case. A few days later I made a new coating and was perfect.

      Later the same mirror was aluminized by a friend of mine (Oscar Saa who passed away a couple of weeks, he was a great person) at Cerro Tololo Observatory. The photo below shows the same mirror when I came from there.

      Espejo Aluminizadp

      Saludos
      Aldo Moraga Byers
      http://sites.google.com/site/aldomoraga/

      El 17/11/2013 15:03, Joe escribió:
      Are you sure the edge was polished all the way?  That white haze looks exactly like my first mirror I ever made and sent to clausing for coating. It came back coated with a note saying not fully polished to the edge and it looked exactly like that.

    • Show all 49 messages in this topic