24255telescope pier advice

  • Gil McFarlane
    Nov 17, 2013
    I'm planning on pouring a reinforced concrete pier for a 12.5" telescope on an EQ mount in my concrete patio.  My plan is to cut a 16" circle out of the 3" patio slab, and dig a hole for a 12" poured concrete pier - 4' underground, 2' above ground.   I will be using (6) 1/2" 20 thread, (18" long bent into Ls), stainless threaded rods in the concrete to secure the cast aluminum platform the mount rests on.   I'll use rebar in the sonotube tube.

    This is an old ATM telescope and mount.

    picture is of the scope with a previous owner in Arizona.

    Gil
    Ventura