Carrying The ATLAS Torch

  • unitykiller2002
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 10, 2004
      Hi y'all!
      Sorry I've been away so long, I was without a computer for a few
      months and just got back online a few weeks ago. Anyway, I've been
      busy trying to complete my collection of ATLAS titles so been doing
      the ebay thing and it seems that the most economic way to get what I
      want is to buy the lots that show up from time to time. Essentially
      this means the doubles (and in some cases triples) are starting to
      pile up so I'm wondering if anyone is up for some trades? I'll be
      taking all my doubles in to be graded professionally so there'll be
      no discrepancies and all titles will be bagged and boarded. If
      anybody shows any interest, I'll pop back in a bit with my list of
      what I have for trade and also what I'm after. Hey, if it gets me
      even one comic closer to completing my collection, it'll be worth it!
      I also wanted to mention that there's a pretty cool site that is
      essentially a referance center for comic book super heroes from all
      over the world (no Marvel or DC though.) Naturally, there's a section
      on the ATLAS characters but there's a lot of missing info. I've
      already submitted some info and it was up the next day. The guy doing
      this site has a huge task ahead of him and he'll appreciate any help
      you can give him pertaining to the ATLAS line. The URL is:
      http://www.internationalhero.co.uk/nonus.htm
      Cheers!
      Grant
    • Dean
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 13, 2004
        --- In atlasseaboardcomicssociety@yahoogroups.com, "unitykiller2002"
        <kamenwriter@h...> wrote:
        > Hi y'all!
        > Sorry I've been away so long, I was without a computer for a few
        > months and just got back online a few weeks ago. Anyway, I've been
        > busy trying to complete my collection of ATLAS titles so been doing
        > the ebay thing and it seems that the most economic way to get what
        > want is to buy the lots that show up from time to time. Essentially
        > this means the doubles (and in some cases triples) are starting to
        > pile up so I'm wondering if anyone is up for some trades? I'll be
        > taking all my doubles in to be graded professionally so there'll be
        > no discrepancies and all titles will be bagged and boarded.

        I'm surprised to hear you're going to the expense of having the
        issues professionally graded. I wouldn't think any of the Atlas
        titles (with the exception of Gothic Romances) would be expensive
        enough to warrant this kind of treatment. I still find them for a few
        bucks at most.

        > anybody shows any interest, I'll pop back in a bit with my list of
        > what I have for trade and also what I'm after. Hey, if it gets me
        > even one comic closer to completing my collection, it'll be worth
        it!
        > I also wanted to mention that there's a pretty cool site that is
        > essentially a referance center for comic book super heroes from all
        > over the world (no Marvel or DC though.) Naturally, there's a
        section
        > on the ATLAS characters but there's a lot of missing info. I've
        > already submitted some info and it was up the next day. The guy
        doing
        > this site has a huge task ahead of him and he'll appreciate any
        help
        > you can give him pertaining to the ATLAS line. The URL is:
        > http://www.internationalhero.co.uk/nonus.htm

        I found this site a month or so ago. It is a fun one. Thanks for the
        link.

        Dean
      • Phil Latter
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 13, 2004
          Dean,

          Nice to hear from you. I just got back from vacation with my lady Tosca to New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, and Cape Breton, including the famous Cabot Trail. We rented a 2004 metallic red Mustang convertible for the trip so that was lots of fun. I would be very interested in a trade. I have lots of comics (duplicates) available for a trade, and I would love to get some 1975 circa Atlas Comics from you in trade. Here is what I still need:

          Devilina # 1
          Fright...(featuring Son of Dracula) # 1
          Gothic Romances # 1
          Movie Monsters # 1,2,3.
          Police Action (featuring Lomax) # 2.
          Targitt # 3. (I have this one but am looking for a higher grade in it.)
          Weird Suspense # 3.
          Vicky # 2,4.

          This is all I need for Atlas Comics. I have everything else. Care to send me an Atlas (and other comics you need) Want List-?

          Best Wishes,

          Phil Latter
          Halifax, Nova Scotia
          Canada

          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 13, 2004
            Dean -

            Having some Atlas titles graded can prove very profitable.

            Here some recent eBay sales -

            Blazing Battle Tales 1 CGC 9.6 112.50
            Demon-Hunter 1 CGC 9.4 80.99
            Planet of Vampires 1 CGC 9.6 76.64
            Police Action 1 CGC 9.6 46.66
            Scorpion 2 CGC 9.6 78.00
            Scorpion 3 CGC 9.6 58.99
            Targitt 3 CGC 9.6 78.00
            Tiger-man 1 CGC 9.6 96.01
            Tiger-man 2 CGC 9.8 126.00
            Tiger-man 3 CGC 9.6 84.01
            Wulf the Barbarian 1 CGC 9.6 112.50
            Wulf the Barbarian 3 CGC 9.6 112.50
            Wulf the Barbarian 4 CGC 9.6 112.50

            A complete ungraded set (61 comics and 11 magazines) went for
            $760.00.

            True, the bulk of these books are easy to come by, but getting them
            in NM/M condition is another story.

            You are correct about Gothic Romances. Every copy I've seen on eBay
            recently has been in the $350.00 range.

            Best,

            Phil

            --- In atlasseaboardcomicssociety@yahoogroups.com, "Dean"

          • Dean
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 15, 2004
              I had no idea Atlas books commanded such prices. They were hard to
              find years ago, but I've noticed in recent years that they are
              turning up more and more, but always for pocket change. I just passed
              on a whole batch of Tiger-Man books, all for a buck each.

              Maybe that idea I had way back when Atlas first hit the stands to buy
              double issues (the only time I've ever done this by the way and I'm
              ashamed to even this once having operated like a speculator) has at
              long last borne fruit. I think I actually bought three copies of
              Destructor #1 at the time.

              If I sold them all, I might have enough to get that missing Gothic
              Romances. Go figure!

              Dean