Re: [atlas_craftsman] Rubber Isolators or Lathe Motor Needed

  • Don Smith
    Message 1 of 47 , Mar 31, 2001
      Gabe,
      I took your advice and checked Grainger`s website,
      and I think they have the correct motor mounting
      rings that I need. I measured the dimensions of
      mine and compared it with their dimensions, and
      they seem to be a perfect match...cheap too!

      Thanks,
      Don Smith

      --- S1 <gmdagena@...> wrote:
      > A good place to get motors for lathes or motor
      > accessories is any large
      > industrial supplier like MSC Industrial or Grainger
      > Industrial Supply.
      > They both have a huge selection of motors from 1/6
      > HP to 250 HP with all
      > standard mounts and faces.
      > Look at the following websites:
      >
      > www.grainger.com
      > www.mscindustrial.com.
      >
      > You definitely WILL find a motor for your lathe.
      > They both have brands (like
      > Baldor and GE) that have an established record of
      > being high quality. They
      > have a wide range of accessories for electric
      > motors, and replacement
      > mounting blocks if you choose to use your motor and
      > want to replace the motor
      > mounts. I believe these places are the best to find
      > what you exactly need.
      >
      > -Gabe
      >
      > Don Smith wrote:
      >
      > > Hi all,
      > > My 6" lathe came with an old, fully enclosed
      > > G.E. motor. I removed the rubber isolators
      > > on the ends of the motor because they are
      > > pretty much shot, and now I can`t seem to find
      > > any of these anywhere. My motor is only 1/6 hp,
      > > and I thought maybe I would just replace it with
      > > a 1/4 hp enclosed motor, but I haven`t been able
      > > locate one of these either. Can someone point me
      > in
      > > the direction of either the isolators or a motor?

    • S1
      Message 47 of 47 , Apr 18, 2001
        It isn't very hard at all. Just switch the poles that guide the electricity to
        the wrapping around the armature. I' ll use the colors black, white and red in
        my example. But first check the plat on the motor and if it is dual voltage
        (115/230) then it will look similar to what I'm describing, except that the
        third pin in the middle is used to make the motor 230 instead of 115 volts,
        which is obviously very different.

        However to change direction on a Reversible, single speed 115 volt motor foll
        these steps.

        1) remove cover and look at the wires on the mount. there should be 3 studs
        with wires attached to them. One is the negative coming from the wire coils
        surrounding the armature. The one (generally in the middle) runs off the
        commutator. the third one is the plus on the wire wrappings surrounding the
        armature. your switch or plug is wired as follows:
        The Black wire going to the commutator, (labeled "COM")
        The White wire goes to the negative coming from the wrapping surrounding the
        armature.

        2) remove all the wires from the studs.
        3) swap the position of the RED negative wire (coming from the Wiring coils
        surrounding the armature) to the stud where the black wire was connected, (this
        one leads to the winds and not your switch. was before you removed it.
        4) replace the wires leading to the switch nboard in the exact order they were
        before you removed the cover.
        make sure your bolts or connectors are snug and you will be all set to go. All
        your doing is reversing the way the current charges the armature, causing it to
        go the reverse way.

        If you need further help feel free to e-Mail me.

        -Gabe