Cast iron

  • Frank Evan Perdicaro
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 3, 2001
      > can someone tell me why we need cast iron back plates for our chucks. I
      > never see anything mentioned about building back plates out of aluminum.

      In addition to the stiffness issue mentioned earlier, keep in mind the
      sonic energy issue, probably correctly called "phonon propagation".
      Cast iron eats vibrational energy! The ultimate machine tool would not
      only be infinitly rigid, would be vibrationally dead.

      Cast iron comes much closer to the ideal of "dead" than anything else
      that is easy to machine and cheap.