RE: [atlas_craftsman] Re: shaper gear

  • Ronald Thibault
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 3, 2000
      At 02:57 PM 3/1/01 -0800, you wrote:
      >Harry, I think we are talking about the same gear. The outside diameter
      >measures 2.626 inches, which is the exact diameter listed in the Martin
      >Catalogue. The pitch diameter (theoretical meeting of the two gear faces)
      >is 2.500 inches. These two matching gears, with pitch diameters of 2.500
      >inches each, needless to say, have to be 5.000" apart, center to center.
      >Check your shaft distances. 40 teeth divided by the theoretical 2.500
      >inches is what gives us the "16" pitch gear category. (BTW 2-5/8" OD would
      >equal 2.625". It is merely a coincidence that this number is so close to
      >the 2.626 actual face-of-tooth to face-of-tooth diameter)
      >
      >Anyway, if anybody progresses further than I have, let me know. I have not
      >made the part yet because I need to make a boring bar holder for my lathe.
      >
      >As I stated, I plan to attach a slotted disk to the new gear with machine
      >screws. ANY OTHER IDEAS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!!!!
      >
      >Ivan Vegvary

      Ivan;
      What material is the gear and proposed hub.
      Ron Thibault
      North Augusta, SC USA
      Builder Miinie #2
      Captain R/C Combat Ship USS Arizona
      http://pages.prodigy.net/thibaultr/
    • Ronald Thibault
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 7, 2000

        >Ron, the gear I purchased (Martin) is made of steel. They do have cast iron
        >gears but not with 40 teeth. The oroginal gears are some kind of pot-metal.
        >Look really weak.
        >
        >Ivan Vegvary

        Ivan;
        You might be able to silver solder the new hub on. Do this before
        any other machining on the gear bore. You can then bore the hub to match
        the gear.

      • anthrhodes@aol.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 2, 2001
          In a message dated 01-03-02 05:58:17 EST, Harry Graham wrote:

          << Ivan, After re-reading your post and looking at my copy of the Atlas BP, I
          think we're talking about 2 different gears. My "feed gear" is 2-5/8 OD with
          11/16 bore, 16 pitch, 40 teeth, 14-1/2 degree P.A.
          Harry

          --- In atlas_craftsman@y..., "Ivan Vegvary" <ivanveg@h...> wrote:
          > I'm facing the same problem. The gears are 2.5" diameter pitch circle. 40
          teeth, 16 pitch. >>

          Harry,

          I presume your concern is regarding the different diameters. You are quoting
          OD, Ivan was citing PD which is the diameter at which the width of the tooth
          is the same as the width of the space, aproximately at the middle of the
          height of the tooth.

          Knowing the OD, the formula for DP is:
          number of teeth +2 divided by OD in inches = DP
          or (n+2)/OD=DP

          Knowing the pitch diameter (PD) the formula is:
          n/PD=DP

          You are both talking about the same size gears, 40 tooth 16 DP.

          Anthony
          Berkeley, Calif.
        • Ivan Vegvary