Collets for 12"

  • Skip Evans
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 2, 2001
      I would like to find some collets to fit my 12" Craftsman lathe. All I ever
      see in the catalogs are 5c collets. In a previous post someone mentioned mt2
      collets. Where can I get some?

      skip_evans@...
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 2, 2001
        --- In atlas_craftsman@y..., "Skip Evans" <skip_evans@h...> wrote:
        > I would like to find some collets to fit my 12" Craftsman lathe.
        All I ever
        > see in the catalogs are 5c collets. In a previous post someone
        mentioned mt2
        > collets. Where can I get some?

        I believe that the 12" Craftsman used 3AT collets, generally used
        with a collet holder and drawbar. I don't know if Clausing still
        sells the latter but the 3AT collets are available from MSC and other
        tool distributors. The collets run around $30 each, I think, and the
        holder/drawbar combo seem to fetch around $200 or more on eBay.

        Another option would be to get the Bison collet chuck, which takes 5C
        collets. The chuck is something like $350.
      • Randy
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 2, 2001
          Skip:

          I found them in the tool suppliers catalogs like MSC I just looked under
          collets and they listed MT type. But man are they expensive!! I think I will
          try to find something else. You can find them a little cheaper at Bestwood
          Tools try this link
          http://www.store.yahoo.com/bestwoodtools/colsysfor2mo.html they also have
          some spindle protectors. I am not very knowledgeable about metal turning so
          can someone tell me why we need cast iron back plates for our chucks. I
          never see anything mentioned about building back plates out of aluminum.

          Randy
          > I would like to find some collets to fit my 12" Craftsman lathe. All I
          ever
          > see in the catalogs are 5c collets. In a previous post someone mentioned
          mt2
          > collets. Where can I get some?
          >

          > skip_evans@...

        • Wayne
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 2, 2001
            Skip, My A/C takes a #3M in the head stock and a #2M in the tail stock. I have a collet adapter and a couple of collets that fit it but no draw bar. I am going to try and make one , but I have never cut internal threads ,which is what is needed to fit my collets. What does a #3at collet look like?Anybody? I also bought some 1 1/2"x 8 threaded pieces to fit the head stock, they were $2.00 and I took all four they had. Need one?
            Wayne(rice)Burner
            A/C 12x42
            A/C 12x36

          • Jude Miller
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 2, 2001
              Randy wrote:

              > ... I am not very knowledgeable about metal turning so
              > can someone tell me why we need cast iron back plates for our chucks. I
              > never see anything mentioned about building back plates out of aluminum.

              Cast iron is almost twice as stiff as aluminum. That is, a given force will
              deflect an aluminum part almost twice as much as an iron one. Given that Atlas
              lathes are none too rigid to start with, this is probably not a good thing.
              Also, the register and threads of an aluminum back plate will probably wear
              quickly.

              I'm not too knowledgeable either, but I was really happy with the back plate I
              made for my Bison 4-jaw. It's the best looking thing I've made on my lathe and
              certainly the most precise. This project really stretched my lathe skills and
              was a lot of fun.

              Best,

              Jude Miller
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 3, 2001
                Skip Evans wrote:

                > I would like to find some collets to fit my 12" Craftsman lathe. All I ever
                > see in the catalogs are 5c collets. In a previous post someone mentioned mt2
                > collets. Where can I get some?

                I think you want an MT-3 for the headstock of the 12" Atlas (or the 10" for
                that matter.