[atlas_craftsman] Re: Another Atlas Lathe in the house!

  • Ronald Thibault
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 30, 1999
      At 03:19 PM 7/30/99 -0500, you wrote:
      >Hey Ron,
      >This is just a suggestion from a novice machinest, I'm talkin brand new.
      >What about just milling the ways enought to true them up and putting the
      >brass inserts in the carriage. Less brass, easier to change, even wear
      >where if you put them in the ways,they will wear very quickly where the
      >carriage moves most. Also, it seems to me that the height loss of the
      >carriage would be easily compensated for by raising the tool post. You
      >wouldn't need to worry about brass inserts at all. Just a thought.
      >Skip

      Skip;
      I did intend to mill the carriage and use the brass inserts in the
      carriage. I guess my post was not clear on this. At the moment though
      after finding that the spindle bearings are shot, I plan to use parts from
      this lathe on my present one, and store the rest for the future. So I will
      not be doing the milling for quite some time!

      Ronald Thibault
      North Augusta, SC USA

      Builder Miinie #2
      Captain R/C Combat Ship USS Arizona