binding digital caliper fixed

  • Rick Sparber
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 31, 2013

      I have been putting up with a Harbor Freight digital caliper that has variable drag between body and slider. Near zero, it moved a little stiff but at about 4” it was noticeably stiffer.

      Took it apart, cleaned all surfaces and played with the tension on the side spring. No joy. Then I loosened the screws holding on the back plate just a little and all moved nicely. So apparently the copper shims that contact the face of the body were pressing too hard and causing a breaking action. The caliper works great now. I may go back and put in a weak Loctite on those screws.

      Rick

    • Sam Rod

        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 31, 2013

          Sam,

          It did cross my mind to document this minor discovery but it would have been a very short article ;-)

          Happy New Year!

          Rick

          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 31, 2013
            What country was it made in !

            Sent from Samsung tablet
          • Kevin Gibson

              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 31, 2013

                Kevin,

                Yup, bad luck. I own about 12 of these caliper that I have hacked up for various projects. This is the only one that has given me trouble. I have found that the newest ones from HF do benefit from a stoning of the body. Before doing this, there was noticeable drag.

                Rick

                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 31, 2013
                  I'll add I have many set of these cut up hacked up or just lying around.
                  2 out of 3 need a good Honing/lapping then they are smooth as peanut butter.
                  Ill save the "Smooth as butter for the starrett's"

                  This is one of the tools that HF sells thats a GREAT deal imho 9.99 for a DRO? cant beat tthat.

                  Happy !-N-Y-! to all! :0

                    Message 9 of 14 , Dec 31, 2013

                      John,

                      I’m afraid you trimmed off too much of the previous message. Not sure what you are asking or exclaiming.

                      Rick

                      Message 10 of 14 , Dec 31, 2013

                        Amen on all counts J

                        Rick

                        Message 11 of 14 , Dec 31, 2013

                          Sam,

                          Yes, those digital calipers are right up there with the 4-1/2” angle grinder for $16. Who doesn’t own two of those?

                          Rick

                          Message 12 of 14 , Dec 31, 2013
                            Actually there are two classes of the angle grinders. One draws about twice as much current and has about 3 times as much power. I have a couple of each, but won't be replacing the low amp models if they ever die. It is amazing how long even the cheapies last with their very generous gear lash and high rpm. But if you go up the line to the lowest price high amp model you will never go back. HF doesn't list the current in their ads but you can download the manuals. The hi amp ones I've got are Clark brand but I'm sure HF carries both.

                            Regards

                            cww

                              Message 14 of 14 , Jan 1, 2014
                                The HF grinders, as long as they have been mentioned, are too fat and short.... hard to hold.  You are just holding the motor case, whatever size it turned out to be.  Other brands have actual handles, so people whose hands are not huge paws can actually both hold the thing and operate the trigger conveniently.

                                There is usually a reason why certain items are a few dollars cheaper.  I got a very acceptable unit with an actual handle, for about $10 more than the cheapest HF....

                                This lesson goes for other things, including measuring tools..... I generally don't like a "caliper kit".... although I do own an HF type "digital" caliper, and it works fine, is accurate enough etc, even if it must be manually turned off. I think I paid $3 for it.

                                JT