RE: [atlas_craftsman] Not your average bench lathe...

  • Alan Sadler
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 1 3:53 AM
      Just in case you find one of these big ones, I have a Starrett inside
      micrometer that'll measure to 36' (feet). It takes at least 2 people to
      carry it.

      Alan Sadler
      inDirect Solutions
      1510 West Glenlake Avenue
      Chicago, Illinois
      60660-1826
      Ph: 312-656-5969
      Fax: 773-761-7973
      e-mail: sadler@...
    • Tom Staley
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 1 10:06 AM
        >No, no. That's not inches but FEET! Sounds like something for a marine
        >application. The biggest land use lathes that I have known of are for
        >railroad usage when the railroads had to turn wheels up to about 7 feet in
        >diameter although they did other stuff up to about 10' in diameter. The
        >only other thing that I can think of for big lathes is for power plant stuff
        >and some of the turbines need lathes that big.
        >Bob May
        >My new web space address is http://webu.wigloo.com/bobmay/ or
        >http://nav.to/bobmay
        >and my new email address is bobmay@...
        >Bob May
        >

        >TO UNSUBSCRIBE FROM THE LIST:
        >You do this yourself by sending a message to:

        There's a company in Eugene, Oregon that make rock crushers that had
        a vertical lathe of the proportions described in this thread of
        messages. Also, a company in neighboring Springfield, Oregon that
        repairs the rolls for paper mills has an equally long bed length.
        Interesting stuff!

        Tom Staley
      • ikimjing@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 1 3:07 PM
          --- In atlas_craftsman@y..., mark usik <mark.usik@s...> wrote:
          > I thought that I should pass on a request that came in today for a
          lathe
          > ( should be educational for some of our new members)
          >
          > Specs: swing over bed........ 120" dia (minimum)
          > distance between centers.... 420" (minimum) ... that's
          35
          > FEET
          > weight capacity ........ 160,000 lbs
          >

          > Hi all.I run a large lathe at work.It will swing84" over bed,76"
          over slide and 35 feet between centers.It has 2 carriges and is rated
          at 60 ton.Most of the large pcs. are for hydrolic presses and turbine
          and fan shafts.Did a fan shaft that was56,000 lbs.Never got to see
          the fan though.Thought you would be intrested.Take care. Jim
        • Jim Irwin
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 1 3:40 PM
            During my senior year in college (Texas A&M) I worked for a large aluminum door
            & window company there (Alenco). Designed extrusion dies and various workplace
            special tools. The small extrusion press had a 6ft dia ram and operated at 3000+
            psi! Take a 6in. diameter billet of aluminum up to near melting temp and then
            squeeze it at that pressure (432,000 psi!) and it flows like toothpaste!

            Somebody had to bore that cylinder, and turn and finish that ram on some big-ass
            machinery! Later, after I was gone, they got a BIG press. 9ft bore for 9 inch
            billets.

            Manly machinery, to be sure!

            Best regards,

            Jim Irwin