RE: Re: [atlas_craftsman] Lead screw for a 10f 54QC Atlas lathe

  • sapperd06
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 9, 2013

      can you tell us about how much it cost to get the keyway machined

      Thank You

      Don

      ---In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, <atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Hi ,
      I got my stock from Roton Products, Inc. | 660 East Elliott,
      Kirkwood, MO 63122 .
      I had to added extra acme stock to the order to make two new lead screws
      so the
      order came to the 60.00 min. I sold the other lead screw on e bay and
      payed for
      getting the key ways cut in the stock and made a little profit.
      JIM

      On 10/8/2013 6:22 PM, roberthynden@... wrote:

      > I need to find a new lead screw for you 10F X 54QC lathe. If a new
      > screw is not available I have heard that a person can buy some
      > threaded stock with the right pitch and thread type and just mill in
      > the slot for the cross feed. Does anyone here know where Ican find
      > either a new screw of one in really good shape? If not, can anyone
      > tell me where I might be able to buy the proper screw stock and what
      > the thread size is?

    • Robert Hynden
      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 9, 2013
        Thank you very much Jim, I will contact them about this. Do you happen to remember what the thread size was? I think my lead srew is 3/4"  Bob

        On Wednesday, October 9, 2013 10:42 AM, "sapper6@..." <sapper6@...> wrote:

        can you tell us about how much it cost to get the keyway machined

        Thank You
        Don

        ---In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, <atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        Hi ,
        I got my stock from Roton Products, Inc. | 660 East Elliott,
        Kirkwood, MO 63122 .
        I had to added extra acme stock to the order to make two new lead screws
        so the
        order came to the 60.00 min. I sold the other lead screw on e bay and
        payed for
        getting the key ways cut in the stock and made a little profit.
        JIM

        On 10/8/2013 6:22 PM, roberthynden@... wrote:

        > I need to find a new lead screw for you 10F X 54QC lathe. If a new
        > screw is not available I have heard that a person can buy some
        > threaded stock with the right pitch and thread type and just mill in
        > the slot for the cross feed. Does anyone here know where Ican find
        > either a new screw of one in really good shape? If not, can anyone
        > tell me where I might be able to buy the proper screw stock and what
        > the thread size is?

      • jtiers
        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 9, 2013
          Well, that's amusing, I can walk there from work in 10 min.

          What grade did you get? There is standard and "precision", the difference
          being the error per foot.

          JT

          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 9, 2013
            jerdal@... wrote:
            > Well, that's amusing, I can walk there from work in 10 min.
            >

            >> I got my stock from Roton Products, Inc. | 660 East Elliott,
            >> Kirkwood, MO 63122 .

            HUH? You're in Kirkwood, too? I didn't know that!
            If I need something right NOW, I have sometimes gone to KBC all the way out
            in St. Charles County.

            Jon
          • Jim Brewer
            Message 5 of 18 , Oct 10, 2013
              The little shop that I took the ACME threaded rods too charged $65.00 to
              set up and machine the first
              lead screw and $10.00 to do the other one. By the way I used the left
              hand end off the
              old lead screws. I machined the ends to fit together with a light press
              fit and silver
              soldered them. The right end I machined to .500 inch and threaded 20 tpi.
              Jim

              On 10/9/2013 11:42 AM, sapper6@... wrote:

              > can you tell us about how much it cost to get the keyway machined
              >

              > Thank You
              >
              > Don
              >

              > ---In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com,
              > <atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
              >
              > Hi ,
              > I got my stock from Roton Products, Inc. | 660 East Elliott,
              > Kirkwood, MO 63122 .
              > I had to added extra acme stock to the order to make two new lead screws
              > so the
              > order came to the 60.00 min. I sold the other lead screw on e bay and
              > payed for
              > getting the key ways cut in the stock and made a little profit.
              > JIM
              >
              > On 10/8/2013 6:22 PM, roberthynden@... <mailto:roberthynden@...>
              > wrote:
              > >

              > > I need to find a new lead screw for you 10F X 54QC lathe. If a new
              > > screw is not available I have heard that a person can buy some
              > > threaded stock with the right pitch and thread type and just
              > mill in
              > > the slot for the cross feed. Does anyone here know where Ican find
              > > either a new screw of one in really good shape? If not, can anyone
              > > tell me where I might be able to buy the proper screw stock and
              > what
              > > the thread size is?

              > 10/08/13

            • Jim Brewer
              Message 6 of 18 , Oct 10, 2013
                Hi ALL,
                I just ordered the standard ACME screw rod. 3/4 8TPI.
                Jim

                On 10/9/2013 8:10 PM, jerdal@... wrote:
                > Well, that's amusing, I can walk there from work in 10 min.
                >
                > What grade did you get? There is standard and "precision", the difference
                > being the error per foot.
                >
                > JT

              • papagrumpy59
                Message 7 of 18 , Oct 17, 2013

                  I cut a new feed screw for my 12" atlas from a blank of 5/8 8 acme thread.  The screw fit thru the center hole and I cut both ends to the right size and profile on the lathe.  that part was easy.  I have a mill and cut the grove.  this was a little tougher as I could only cut about 18" at a time.  I aligned the grove after each set up by putting a key in the grove and setting it.  I also turned the tailstock end longer so I could add a secondary motor for turning the feed screw at slower speeds.  It wasn't that bad and works great.

                  ---In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, <atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                  10 & 12"  3/4 or 5/8 are 8 tpi, the 618's are 16 tpi.

                  The problem with buying Acme lengths for a 10F or a QC is that you need a key way slot down the length, so price that in or figure to do it your self, if you can, or something. The ends also need turned and turning ends on long lengths is a fair trick unless you are set up for that.

                  About 4 or 5 months ago I had Clausing get me a quote on a new lead screw for a qc54, around $900.00. They just sub that sort of thing out to one of their suppliers, there is no old stock (that Clausing has) lead screw wise.

                  If you can't do it your self I'd get a few prices from shops that can do it. Or most likely pick a seller that I have at least some hope is straight up and buy a good used one --likely the best option.

                  ---In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, <atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                  Assuming yours is a 3/4" diameter screw and not a 5/8".
                  Although I believe they are both 8 TPI.
                  -Dan

                    Thank you very much for showing me this.I will try and get it bought if I can when the time comes.  Bob

                  On Tuesday, October 8, 2013 5:36 PM, Dan Buchanan <db45acp@...> wrote:

                  Robert,
                  Check this one on eBay I came across.
                  Not mine-no interest.