Tap & die sets

  • Jim Irwin
    Message 1 of 21 , Oct 4, 2013
      Tap & die sets Traffic sure seems to have slowed a bunch. What’s up?

      I have an odd collection of metric & SAE T&Ds and would like to compete it or upgrade and replace the hodge-podge.

      Trouble is I can’t find them! Harbor Freight stuff does not impress, except by low price.
      Lowes has a big set of their brand online, but it’s around $450!!!
      So anyone got suggestions?
      Good quality at reasonable price.

      Thanks

      Jim Irwin
    • Guenther Paul
      Message 2 of 21 , Oct 4, 2013
        Jim
        Conntact David he has good prizes   tukapo@...

        GP

        Message 3 of 21 , Oct 4, 2013
          Jim,
          Enco has a free shipping code still active through October 8th.
          Minimum order of $49.00 gets free UPS Ground.
          Enter the Promotion Code "SEPUPS" at checkout and shipping is free.

          I just used it last week for ordering Vactra No.2 ($18/gal) and Velocite No.6 spindle oils and several other items.
          Makes it a little better deal when you take out the shipping charges.

          They have a few different brands and pretty good selection of T&D sets and individual pieces as well.
          I buy taps several times per year and am happy with them. They have a few different brands, including Irwin-Hanson, Interstate, etc.
          Lowe's better (USA MADE) tools are made by JH Williams/ Danaher/ SnapOn which helps explain the higher cost.

          You might want to check out ZORO Tools online, too.
          They usually have free shipping on orders over $50

          Good luck,
          -Dan

          Message 4 of 21 , Oct 4, 2013
            Tap & die sets
            Generally, the "sets" are poor quality, unless you pay quite a lot.   And, the vast majority of the sizes you will never need, even in the home shop doing repair work as well as model building etc.   Often they are "solid" non-adjustable dies, too.

            If you really MUST buy a set, get a reasonably cheap one that has a better selection of sizes.  Not the cheapest, not in the top price range.   The idea is that you will "have them" if really needed, and if you find you need to use them much, you can replace with decent ones.

            Otherwise it is a bunch of expense for the sake of "completeness", and really doesn't help much.

            Myself, I buy any oddballs I find at tag sales, etc, and so I have a good collection of quality industrial stuff, at penny prices.  Not all have that option.   I don't end up using some of the real oddballs, but it's one of those "you never know" things....  If I DID need one, it might be worth the cost of all of what I have bought to have it available.

            Oh, yeah, IGNORE the folks who say how horrible and useless "carbon steel" taps and dies are..... They cut fine if sharp, like any tap/die, their only problem is really with being a bit more brittle, and also being harder to re-sharpen if that is needed.

            JT

            Message 5 of 21 , Oct 4, 2013
              "eBay Member: tapsntools" <esblue_mzsu4705odt@...>

              Try this eBay vendor.

              He has thousands of taps and is searching for some odd ones for me.

              Make a list of what you need and send it to him.
              Prices are negotiable; items are US made.

              lance
              ++++
              On Oct 4, 2013, at 8:48 PM, Jim Irwin wrote:

              So anyone got suggestions?
              Good quality at reasonable price.

            • Carl Hollopeter
              Message 6 of 21 , Oct 5, 2013
                Jim,
                   Take a look here, pretty good selection of sets and prices. Should find something here to fit your budget and needs to get you going. Later when you find a couple sizes that you use all the time then spend your money on them. The set should handle all your “once in a while” needs.

                Carl H

                Message 7 of 21 , Oct 7, 2013
                  In a message dated 10/4/13 10:08:20 PM Eastern Daylight Time, jerdal@... writes:

                  Oh, yeah, IGNORE the folks who say how horrible and useless "carbon steel" taps and dies are..... They cut fine if sharp, like any tap/die, their only problem is really with being a bit more brittle, and also being harder to re-sharpen if that is needed.

                  JT

                  Absolutely so, and sometimes even the brittleness is a plus.

                  Have a horizontal mill in which someone had broken off the tightening screw in the double overarm support.  It was way down deep.  Tried a drill, which didn't want to cut.  Hmmm,  maybe it's not a screw.  Nope, it's a tap.  Can't drill it.  Maybe it's a carbon steel tap.  A couple of hits on a long pin punch and it shattered, and it fell out in pieces.  A HSS tap would have been in there until I found someone with an EDM setup.

                  They are harder to sharpen only if one waits so long that they are really dull and need a lot of metal ground off.  Until then, using a slipstone or a few light passes on the wheel, they are easier.

                  A tap is one tool that will cut even when quite dull.  And that's a mistake, because you have to use extra force and that's when it snaps.

                  John
                • Doc
                  Message 8 of 21 , Oct 7, 2013
                    learned  50  yrs  ago to use  carbon steel  taps  for 6X48 screws mounting target  scope  blocks & sights ......in  the  event  that  one  snapped  , it COULD BE  REMOVED ....dont know  when  EDM was  around , but i never  heard of it  then
                    FWIW ...heating to hardening state &  quenching  n mercury  (& the  fumes  WERE bad  news) ,made carbon taps GLASS hard  & near as  brittle...spot  annealiing generally  took care  of  case  hardening

                    little  off topic , but  for  those  not  familiar  w/ removing hardened items  that  are  frozen  in  place , it  may be  of  value...
                         the  M head  on  the  throwaway (literally ) bridge port  mill had the  head  PINNED w/ a  dowel in the  vertical  position ...troublel  was  it  WASNT  vertical...ground off flush , ....no threads  to  draw  out &..blind  hole.....gave  up  trying  to  move it  w/ a  chisel  biting the  circumference & took the  oxy /actylene to  it heating  to a cherry  red, planning on drilling it out since  i assumed it was carbon steel &  wud  anneal ....started  drilling & it spun  right  out ...i had totally  fortgotten  how  i  removed  the  remains  of  a rear  axle  bearing  in the  axle  housing years  before......just  heat it  up to  red  heat or buxx box  a  bead  on it ...& it MUST expand , so it  does in the only  direction it can  ...as it cools it shrinks in  size EVERYWHERE (  cirecumference & length ...& they  drop  out ..
                     best  wishes
                    doc

                          Message 12 of 21 , Oct 7, 2013
                            The difficulty of sharpening is mostly from needing to make sure you do not overheat it in the process. It's easy to do that with glass-hard carbon steel, even if you do not "soften" it, it may be locally less than "glass-hard" afterwards.

                            Glass-hard" may not be always great, but if it starts that way, it should stay that way.     Drawn to "straw" color, which is still reasonably hard, and considerably tougher, will wear faster.

                            JT

                            This was another "poisoned message", that would not properly add the message when replied to.... everything appeared except the reply...   Apparently w5acab... is not the only one whose replies are "poisoned" so that regular email cannot use them.

                              Message 14 of 21 , Oct 8, 2013
                                Thanks for the update & enlightenment on the matter, James.
                                -Dan

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Oct 8, 2013
                                    When i invest or buy tooling i buy the brand that i know is a good product that does not include Lowe's or Home depot or any chain stores
                                    Buy good tools and they last buy cheap and you buy over and over and spend a lot more money for junk

                                    GP

                                    Message 17 of 21 , Oct 8, 2013
                                      On 10/8/2013 Guenther Paul wrote:

                                      > When i invest or buy tooling i buy the brand that i know is a good
                                      > product that does not include Lowe's or Home depot or any chain stores
                                      > Buy good tools and they last buy cheap and you buy over and over
                                      > and spend a lot more money for junk

                                      > GP

                                      Here is a place we totally agree

                                      There are 2 exceptions I've made to this:

                                      1)I'm away from home, need to buy a tool, and I can't GET a good one ASAP (ever try and buy a good tap on Sunday morning, out in rural America? You take what the local hardware store has, and hope it is a good one)

                                      2)Give aways for kids. I mentor a bunch of kids building robots. The CHRONIC shortage is tape measures. Not long ones, but most of the work is done to +- 1/16, if not 1/8, and is less than 3 ft long. Probably the most common use is similar to "Go get a piece of 1" tube, and cut, deburr and prep a piece 28 1/4" long". Some of these kids have no access to tools, and a few (very few, but they are there) dont have the MONEY for any tools (they are lucky to have money for lunch - a few we politely don't ask to kick in, as we know they can't - we kick in their share). Last year, I bought 50 8ft tape measures (Horrid Freight specials - on sale, 99 cents), and gave EVERY kid on the team their own

                                      Between graduation (told the kids 'keep them, they are YOURS') and loss/breakage, we're down to 25 or so. Guess what? I'll buy another 25 to hand out. Am I buying top of the line tapes? Nope! And when I'm working with them, I deliberately using the same tapes, to show what can be done

                                      Trying to figure out what tool/tools I'm going to add to the shop this year. I added 1/2 dozen files, file cards, a few boxes of hardware, scribes, etc last year as well as the give aways, probably spent about $500 or so on 'gifts' for the shop

                                      Charlie
                                      www.baysidephoto.com
                                      www.thegallos.com
                                    • Clem Wixted
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Oct 8, 2013
                                        Good for you Charlie. You are true American. It's people like you that have made our country great. Thank you.

                                        Clem

                                        On Tue, Oct 8, 2013 at 9:09 AM, Charlie Gallo <Charlie@...> wrote:

                                        On 10/8/2013 Guenther Paul wrote:

                                        > When i invest or buy tooling i buy the brand that i know is a good
                                        > product that does not include Lowe's or Home depot or any chain stores
                                        > Buy good tools and they last buy cheap and you buy over and over
                                        > and spend a lot more money for junk

                                        > GP

                                        Here is a place we totally agree

                                        There are 2 exceptions I've made to this:

                                        1)I'm away from home, need to buy a tool, and I can't GET a good one ASAP (ever try and buy a good tap on Sunday morning, out in rural America? You take what the local hardware store has, and hope it is a good one)

                                        2)Give aways for kids. I mentor a bunch of kids building robots. The CHRONIC shortage is tape measures. Not long ones, but most of the work is done to +- 1/16, if not 1/8, and is less than 3 ft long. Probably the most common use is similar to "Go get a piece of 1" tube, and cut, deburr and prep a piece 28 1/4" long". Some of these kids have no access to tools, and a few (very few, but they are there) dont have the MONEY for any tools (they are lucky to have money for lunch - a few we politely don't ask to kick in, as we know they can't - we kick in their share). Last year, I bought 50 8ft tape measures (Horrid Freight specials - on sale, 99 cents), and gave EVERY kid on the team their own

                                        Between graduation (told the kids 'keep them, they are YOURS') and loss/breakage, we're down to 25 or so. Guess what? I'll buy another 25 to hand out. Am I buying top of the line tapes? Nope! And when I'm working with them, I deliberately using the same tapes, to show what can be done

                                        Trying to figure out what tool/tools I'm going to add to the shop this year. I added 1/2 dozen files, file cards, a few boxes of hardware, scribes, etc last year as well as the give aways, probably spent about $500 or so on 'gifts' for the shop

                                        Charlie
                                        www.baysidephoto.com
                                        www.thegallos.com

                                      • EdwinB
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Oct 9, 2013
                                          If you live in a city of any size, check to see if you have a Fastenal distributor. I've bought a number of taps & bits from them and have been quite pleased with the quality.

                                          Regards,
                                          Ed

                                          --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, Guenther Paul <paulguenter@...> wrote:

                                          > When i invest or buy tooling i buy the brand that i know is a good product that does not include Lowe's or Home depot or any chain stores
                                          > Buy good tools and they last buy cheap and you buy over and over and spend a lot more money for junk
                                          >
                                          > GP

                                        • Charles Gallo
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Oct 9, 2013
                                            As travers tool is about two miles from home....

                                            > On Oct 9, 2013, at 10:38 AM, "EdwinB" <n5kzw@...> wrote:
                                            >
                                            > If you live in a city of any size, check to see if you have a Fastenal distributor. I've bought a number of taps & bits from them and have been quite pleased with the quality.
                                            >
                                            > Regards,
                                            > Ed
                                            >
                                            > --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, Guenther Paul <paulguenter@...> wrote:
                                            >>
                                            >> When i invest or buy tooling i buy the brand that i know is a good product that does not include Lowe's or Home depot or any chain stores
                                            >> Buy good tools and they last buy cheap and you buy over and over and spend a lot more money for junk
                                            >>
                                            >> GP

                                            > The Atlas-Craftsman Wiki is at http://pico-systems.com/cgi-bin/Atlas-wiki/Atlas.cgi
                                            > Please submit things you think will be useful to Jon Elson at mailto://elson@...! Groups Links

                                          • oldstudentmsgt
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Oct 9, 2013
                                              I bought the cheap (less than $10) chinese sets of metric & SAE, carbon steel dies. (Said so, right there on the package!!! REALLY!) and have been replacing them as I destroy them with Vermont American taps and dies. The case and organizer fittings are good quality, anyway. I did not expect to use the original taps more than once, just got them to have a place to put the VA stuff as I got it, on a when needed/as needed basis.

                                              A local distributor, Steve's Wholesale Tools, carries the VA taps and dies individually, and in sets. I think I've got about $60 invested in good taps and dies, and $20 in the cases (with about half the original cheap taps and dies still in there). The larger taps and dies seem to work fine as seldom as I use them. The smaller ones were generally the crap everyone seems to think they would be.

                                              My workshop area has always been long on stuff, and short on stuff to keep stuff organized. After 17 years here, I'm trying to remedy that situation.

                                              Bill in OKC