Re: [atlas_craftsman] Re: Slow Speed Adapter

  • Jonathan H Bateman
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 28, 2013
      speaking of crazy coincidences,I bought , at obscene cost, the set of pulleys you need- no use to me- I have more than $50.00 in them. I will send them to you on approval. Please send details of shipment to: Jonathan Bateman, 25 Ivy Drive, Apt. 41, Keene, NH 03431 or to above email.
                 thanks, BLJHB.
      On Sep 26, 2013, at 2:10 PM, Mark Wolfe <markw@...> wrote:

      On 09/25/2013 02:58 AM, Paul wrote:

      > By crazy coincidence, I was searching yesterday for information about
      > just such a device to add to my Craftsman 15".
      >
      > At the web site owwm.org or vintagemachinery.org (can't remember which)
      > there is a posting by a member who made his own slow speed adapter for a
      > Craftsman 103.23130.
      > (I apologize that I didn't put direct links. I can not access either web
      > site this morning. Perhaps the sites are down for maintenance.)
      >
      > It's an intermediate pulley system that mounts to the top of the column.
      > The member's directions and photos are very well done, so it's worth the
      > hunt.
      >
      > The 103.23130 is a very similar drill press to yours, so it may work
      > as-shown. (But the headstock is not nearly as cool looking as the Atlas.)
      >
      > Also at vintagemachiery.org, there two or three manuals for Craftsman's
      > versions of slow speed adapters. Each has helpful exploded views, too.
      > I'll be darned if I can figure out how to add the pdfs to this posting.
      > If I succeed, I'll let you know.
      >
      > Craftsman also offered something called "Vari-Slo" which was spiffed up
      > version that had a shifting lever mounted to the top of the headstock. I
      > don't know if that would fit your Atlas because yours has the tall
      > badge. If nothing else, the Vari-Slo looks really nifty.
      >
      > I didn't study the publications too well yet, but a quick glance looks
      > like the pulley's pitch is actually varied to make the driven-to-drive
      > ratio different.
      >
      > Finally, on the 103.23130, the manual talks about moving the pulley up &
      > down to change the step combinations. It claims you can have 11 speeds
      > with the existing pulleys. Maybe your Atlas does that, too. I have not
      > figured out how to move the pulley(s) just yet. (Recently got the drill
      > press & have not started bringing it into operating condition.)
      >
      > Hope some of this is helpful. It'll be interesting to know how it all
      > turns out for you!
      >
      > Enjoy Today,
      > Paul

      I went back out and looked at the drill press, I know my dad or
      grandfather replaced the motor at one time, the motor pulley is a 3
      groove while the spindle pulley is 4 groove. I've gotten ahold of an
      old dunlap 1/3 HP motor which is what was originally on this press.
      My coworker just told me this morning that his 150 has the slow speed
      adapter and he can go down to 72rpm. He's going to pull it and we'll
      make a copy of it. It can't be too hard to make. The bearings for the
      pulley will probably be the complicated part. My neighbor has an old
      atlas/craftsman lathe that I can use to turn the pieces.

      Thanks,
      Mark

    • definca
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 31 1:37 PM
        Hi, realize it has been quite awhile but I am currently in search of motor drive pulley for an Atlas Mk2 lathe. The pulley and belt are very narrow like 6mm or 1/4 inch drive. If you still have these please contact me 925-487-7895 e/mail clearsky@..., thanks, Douglas