drillbits , dirt cheap + tips

  • Doc
    Message 1 of 32 , Sep 29, 2013
      FWIW ...harbor frt has coupons for 29 bit set w/ index box , coated , for 9.99 .....originally abt $30 ...PROBLEM is more than 1/2 are unusabe due to negative relief/ unequal lips .....( unbelievabley bad grinds )
      .... since i hand sharpen ,abt 20 min later they are usable .....compared to $ 50 + /set , i am quite happy w/ circa $80 /hr for sharpening ....pleased snuf to get 3 more sets , even thou i have 2 others at different machines.......have had no noticeable problems on 1018 & drill rod....BUT since i hand grind , a dull bit is usable in less than 10seconds....& in home shop . i dont have to get 100 holes / grind ..........
      fwiw #2 ,....when hand sharpening OR if you want a hole closer to nominal on any bit , pre drill a size under ...then the point doesent guide the final bit & any unequal lips are mitigated to the point of not a problem .......almost like reaming ......holes will be nominal to a couple thou over ,depending
      fwiw #3 ....slight rounding of the lips where they join the shank of the drill & you have a pretty fair reamer cutting on size, all else true
      FWIW #4 the closer to abt 5 thou undrsize of final hole size , the truer the reamer size will be even thou specs say 15 thou for MACHINE reamers ...for the penultimate in accuracy, a few metric bits are in order for staying around 5 thou under on commonly used holes
      FWIW #5.,,,,in an emergency , a milling cutter makes a good counter bore , OR A drill bit GROUND FLAT ON END W/ LIP RELIEF ..center up on the hole first w/ a drill bit , then change to the endmil or flat drill
      best wishes
      doc
    • Richard Hughson
      Message 32 of 32 , Oct 1, 2013
        It's a bit late for a quick death, but it would be a welcome one. Then too, I don't really have to read it, do I? Choices, choices...

        Rick H

        On Tue, Oct 1, 2013 at 10:53 AM, David Weaver <abigalesdad@...> wrote:

        Maybe I’m not alone in requesting this thread die a quick death.