Re: [atlas_craftsman] "HOME" shops... was "an experimental measuring system"

  • Frank
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 25, 2013
      Rick,

      Way off topic, but how about an SI570 Direct Synthesizer with band switching info using an Arduino for you next project.

      Frank - W4NHJ

      -
      On 9/25/13 11:55 AM, Rick Sparber wrote:

      Phil,

      Thanks for the encouraging words. My insanity is solidly intact and I have no intensions of ending my quest to “till at windmills”. I firmly believe that if one of my ideas out of 100 is really great, then it was worth the effort. To me, failure is giving up. My primary goal on the measuring system was to learn to program the Arduino and handle the hardware. It has been a roaring success. Now I’m itching to find my next application of this technology!

      Rick

      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 25, 2013

        Lance,

        Something is very wrong with either the igaging DROs or the way they are mounted. If it was me, I would start by trying to understand the root cause of these problems. Just connecting these DROs to a processor won’t get you better results. For example, how could a computer know what to do during that first 0.25” of movement when the display doesn’t move at all?

        I took out many books from the library on programming Arduinos. The best of the bunch was the one by Simon Monk. It also helps A LOT to find someone you can contact when you get stumped. I’m very lucky to have a student that knows a lot about Arduinos and the related support systems. The docs range from excellent to awful so it is very difficult to do it all by yourself.

        If you want a low cost way to get started learning about the Arduino, I suggest the sparkfun.com product called the Pro Micro. It costs $20 + s/h. Connect up a USB cable and you are ready to go. All software is free. The Arduino software development system works well. I wrote over 8K of program with it.

        Those “shields” do let you avoid getting into electronics but they sure can be expensive. Given my background, I’m happier adding my own circuits to the Arduino.

        Peace,

        Rick

        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 25, 2013

          Frank,

          I had to look up the SI570 Direct Synthesizer with band switching. My playground is closer to DC.  I do think that you are right to think about marrying this synthesizer with an Arduino. Are you so sure it hasn’t already been done?

            Message 5 of 19 , Sep 26, 2013
              True.

              One big benefit of it though, is that you can get a reasonable processor, on a PWA, much cheaper than it would be to develop your own PWB and have it made.  Nothing whatever says you must use the "Arduino" software in any way whatsoever. Many people use the board as a cheap way to getting hardware, and bag the "intended" software entirely.

              JT

                Message 7 of 19 , Sep 26, 2013
                  Frank, Google K5BCQ. He has an Si570 DDS kit he sells at cost.

                  73,
                  Ed - N5KZW

                  --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, Frank <w4nhj@...> wrote:

                  > Rick,
                  >
                  > Way off topic, but how about an SI570 Direct Synthesizer with band
                  > switching info using an Arduinofor you next project.
                  >
                  > Frank - W4NHJ
                  >
                  > -
                  > On 9/25/13 11:55 AM, Rick Sparber wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Phil,
                  > >
                  > > Thanks for the encouraging words. My insanity is solidly intact and I
                  > > have no intensions of ending my quest to “till at windmills”. I firmly
                  > > believe that if one of my ideas out of 100 is really great, then it
                  > > was worth the effort. To me, failure is giving up. My primary goal on
                  > > the measuring system was to learn to program the Arduino and handle
                  > > the hardware. It has been a roaring success. Now I’m itching to find
                  > > my next application of this technology!
                  > >
                  > > Rick

                • Gary Patterson
                  Message 8 of 19 , Sep 26, 2013
                    On Sep 26, 2013 10:28 AM, "EdwinB" <n5kzw@...> wrote:

                    Frank, Google K5BCQ. He has an Si570 DDS kit he sells at cost.

                    73,
                    Ed - N5KZW

                    --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, Frank <w4nhj@...> wrote:

                    > Rick,
                    >
                    > Way off topic, but how about an SI570 Direct Synthesizer with band
                    > switching info using an Arduinofor you next project.
                    >
                    > Frank - W4NHJ
                    >
                    > -
                    > On 9/25/13 11:55 AM, Rick Sparber wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Phil,
                    > >
                    > > Thanks for the encouraging words. My insanity is solidly intact and I
                    > > have no intensions of ending my quest to “till at windmills†. I firmly
                    > > believe that if one of my ideas out of 100 is really great, then it
                    > > was worth the effort. To me, failure is giving up. My primary goal on
                    > > the measuring system was to learn to program the Arduino and handle
                    > > the hardware. It has been a roaring success. Now I’m itching to find
                    > > my next application of this technology!
                    > >
                    > > Rick

                  • Curt Wuollet
                    Message 9 of 19 , Sep 26, 2013
                      I write in C, but the arduino method is fairly efficient as it's a fairly thin layer on top of C. And it gets people programming without the host of fussy details you need to know to write C for a small processor without an OS. It isn't that spendy making your own boards these days either. I can get three boards for $5/sq.in. and I use PCB on linux so that's free. But i've seen freeduino blanks for $3 which is hard to beat. I like the serial versions which aren't in favor anymore, because USB isn't good for any distance. But yes, even though I can design and make my own boards it's a lot easier to ride the arduino shirttails.
                      I did design and build a DRO shield, but abandoned it because it would cost more than the iGauging stuff.
                      Regards

                      cww

                      Message 10 of 19 , Sep 26, 2013

                        CWW,

                        I came to the same conclusion about using an Arduino as just a DRO. Beyond the fact that it costs more than an iGauge, it is nothing new. IMHO, the fun is just beginning when you can pull the caliper data into a processor. Why stop at that point?

                        Rick