Re: [atlas_craftsman] "HOME" shops... was "an experimental measuring system"

  • jtiers
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 25, 2013
      Jim:

      I have seldom seen such a nasty post. And I mean that in a good way.

      If that's what you really think, well there's not much to be done for you.
      You have to do it for yourself.

      I resent it when people start down the path of "this is what a home shop
      is, and precision has no part in it." It isn't fair to at least half the
      folks I know who have shops. I've met a number of them around my area, and
      they do work that is way better than some of what I get back from local
      commercial shops. And they do it on new imported machines, in most cases,
      but sometimes on ancient stuff I'd almost rather scrap than fix.

      If you can do hand work on tiny 4 cylinder engines that run and are so small
      they can sit on your thumb, complete with valves, spark plugs, and 3 piston
      rings per piston, you are better than me... those folks used machines.

      I've been here for 12 years or so, from way way back that I don't even
      recall. Aside from my own parts (I refurbish old machinery as a hobby) I
      am, for purposes of this discussion, the model shop machinist for the place
      I work, making one-offs for our prototypes and test rigs. (It isn't my
      regular job, but I do it anyway, particularly for parts I design and want to
      get samples of fast).

      Anonymity? You seem to know my name.....

      Now, I think Mr Sparber is fooling himself with the precision adapter for
      the $12 calipers.... I won't say he shouldn't try, though. And he asked
      for the assessment, twice, and I provided it, twice.

      I surely don't know it all.... neither do you.... everyone knows things
      others don't. Everyone is good at some things and not at others. NONE of
      us were born knowing anything... we all learned whatever we know. So nobody
      has any "corner" on knowledge.

      Calm down and we'll get along fine in the future. Just please quit
      assuming that home shops are no place for precision..... There are all
      kinds.

      JT

      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 25, 2013

        Phil,

        Thanks for the encouraging words. My insanity is solidly intact and I have no intensions of ending my quest to “till at windmills”. I firmly believe that if one of my ideas out of 100 is really great, then it was worth the effort. To me, failure is giving up. My primary goal on the measuring system was to learn to program the Arduino and handle the hardware. It has been a roaring success. Now I’m itching to find my next application of this technology!

        Rick

        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 25, 2013
          Rick,

          Someone mentioned it before, but I will repeat.

          Here's a project I would like help with and your Ardunino
          project may be the solution.

          I have two igaging digital DRO units.
          I have made adapters to mount them longitudinally and
          cross wise on my 16" SBL.

          However, in use, the digital counter does not start to move until
          the cross slide has moved 0.25" and the reading drifts.
          They are unusable as is.

          Might your averaging system apply to make this useable?
          More info off-line if needed.

          Also, I'd love to learn how to use the Arduino, am esp interested in the
          AC power shield and motor controller.

          lance
          ++++

          On Sep 25, 2013, at 11:55 AM, Rick Sparber wrote:

          Thanks for the encouraging words. My insanity is solidly intact and I have no intensions of ending my quest to “till at windmills”. I firmly believe that if one of my ideas out of 100 is really great, then it was worth the effort. To me, failure is giving up. My primary goal on the measuring system was to learn to program the Arduino and handle the hardware. It has been a roaring success. Now I’m itching to find my next application of this technology!

        • Frank
          Message 4 of 19 , Sep 25, 2013
            Rick,

            Way off topic, but how about an SI570 Direct Synthesizer with band switching info using an Arduino for you next project.

            Frank - W4NHJ

            -

            Message 5 of 19 , Sep 25, 2013

              Lance,

              Something is very wrong with either the igaging DROs or the way they are mounted. If it was me, I would start by trying to understand the root cause of these problems. Just connecting these DROs to a processor won’t get you better results. For example, how could a computer know what to do during that first 0.25” of movement when the display doesn’t move at all?

              I took out many books from the library on programming Arduinos. The best of the bunch was the one by Simon Monk. It also helps A LOT to find someone you can contact when you get stumped. I’m very lucky to have a student that knows a lot about Arduinos and the related support systems. The docs range from excellent to awful so it is very difficult to do it all by yourself.

              If you want a low cost way to get started learning about the Arduino, I suggest the sparkfun.com product called the Pro Micro. It costs $20 + s/h. Connect up a USB cable and you are ready to go. All software is free. The Arduino software development system works well. I wrote over 8K of program with it.

              Those “shields” do let you avoid getting into electronics but they sure can be expensive. Given my background, I’m happier adding my own circuits to the Arduino.

              Peace,

              Message 6 of 19 , Sep 25, 2013

                Frank,

                I had to look up the SI570 Direct Synthesizer with band switching. My playground is closer to DC.  I do think that you are right to think about marrying this synthesizer with an Arduino. Are you so sure it hasn’t already been done?

                  Message 8 of 19 , Sep 26, 2013
                    True.

                    One big benefit of it though, is that you can get a reasonable processor, on a PWA, much cheaper than it would be to develop your own PWB and have it made.  Nothing whatever says you must use the "Arduino" software in any way whatsoever. Many people use the board as a cheap way to getting hardware, and bag the "intended" software entirely.

                    JT

                      Message 10 of 19 , Sep 26, 2013
                        Frank, Google K5BCQ. He has an Si570 DDS kit he sells at cost.

                        73,
                        Ed - N5KZW

                        --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, Frank <w4nhj@...> wrote:

                        > Rick,
                        >
                        > Way off topic, but how about an SI570 Direct Synthesizer with band
                        > switching info using an Arduinofor you next project.
                        >
                        > Frank - W4NHJ
                        >
                        > -
                        > On 9/25/13 11:55 AM, Rick Sparber wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Phil,
                        > >
                        > > Thanks for the encouraging words. My insanity is solidly intact and I
                        > > have no intensions of ending my quest to “till at windmills”. I firmly
                        > > believe that if one of my ideas out of 100 is really great, then it
                        > > was worth the effort. To me, failure is giving up. My primary goal on
                        > > the measuring system was to learn to program the Arduino and handle
                        > > the hardware. It has been a roaring success. Now I’m itching to find
                        > > my next application of this technology!
                        > >
                        > > Rick

                      • Gary Patterson
                        Message 11 of 19 , Sep 26, 2013
                          On Sep 26, 2013 10:28 AM, "EdwinB" <n5kzw@...> wrote:

                          Frank, Google K5BCQ. He has an Si570 DDS kit he sells at cost.

                          73,
                          Ed - N5KZW

                          --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, Frank <w4nhj@...> wrote:

                          > Rick,
                          >
                          > Way off topic, but how about an SI570 Direct Synthesizer with band
                          > switching info using an Arduinofor you next project.
                          >
                          > Frank - W4NHJ
                          >
                          > -
                          > On 9/25/13 11:55 AM, Rick Sparber wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Phil,
                          > >
                          > > Thanks for the encouraging words. My insanity is solidly intact and I
                          > > have no intensions of ending my quest to “till at windmills†. I firmly
                          > > believe that if one of my ideas out of 100 is really great, then it
                          > > was worth the effort. To me, failure is giving up. My primary goal on
                          > > the measuring system was to learn to program the Arduino and handle
                          > > the hardware. It has been a roaring success. Now I’m itching to find
                          > > my next application of this technology!
                          > >
                          > > Rick

                        • Curt Wuollet
                          Message 12 of 19 , Sep 26, 2013
                            I write in C, but the arduino method is fairly efficient as it's a fairly thin layer on top of C. And it gets people programming without the host of fussy details you need to know to write C for a small processor without an OS. It isn't that spendy making your own boards these days either. I can get three boards for $5/sq.in. and I use PCB on linux so that's free. But i've seen freeduino blanks for $3 which is hard to beat. I like the serial versions which aren't in favor anymore, because USB isn't good for any distance. But yes, even though I can design and make my own boards it's a lot easier to ride the arduino shirttails.
                            I did design and build a DRO shield, but abandoned it because it would cost more than the iGauging stuff.
                            Regards

                            cww

                            Message 13 of 19 , Sep 26, 2013

                              CWW,

                              I came to the same conclusion about using an Arduino as just a DRO. Beyond the fact that it costs more than an iGauge, it is nothing new. IMHO, the fun is just beginning when you can pull the caliper data into a processor. Why stop at that point?

                              Rick