RE: [atlas_craftsman] "HOME" shops... was "an experimental measuring system"

  • Rick Sparber
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 24, 2013

      JT,

      I do not know Jim’s motivation but certainly did not take offense.

      Over the years I have seen many times when a retired professional machinist scratches their head over the kinds of crazy things I enjoying studying. Most of what I do is not practical. It is just fun for me to investigate. Once in a while I do hit something practical but that is not my primary goal.

      Thanks for the URL to the museum. In a few months we plan to visit it.

      Rick

      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 24, 2013
        "Offense"....  Maybe not quite....  What is truly offensive is the more usual statements that are common, and amount to: "I can't measure that close, and don't want to, so YOU shouldn't try to do it either, cuz I say so".

        The bit about "Just say'in guys, we are talking about HOME MACHINIST and HOME MADE or very old, well worn and abused equipment in most cases" gets close to that, but falls just short of it.

        As the poster was a machinist, he ought to know that good machinists can get close tolerances out of worn equipment....  It's notoriously true, down to the famous "Bull O The Woods" cartoon about the shims and whatever that fell out of the machine whenever the temporary replacement machinist moved a handle on the machine.

        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 24, 2013
          Jtiers, what the hell is your problem?

          I read earlier today the post you made in response to a post I made on
          this subject. I usually don't let post from jackasses bother me. But for
          some reason, it has nawled on me all day. I went to the store to get out
          of the house for a while and clear my head. In doing so I decided it
          wasn't worth responding to you about what I had said earlier. But low
          and behold I get back home and see you have continued to make additional
          statements about me. Now I'm an old man that really don't kiss anyone's
          ass to get along with them anymore. Found out years ago it doesn't do
          any good.

          To start off with, I wasn't making a statement to you, I was responding
          to Rick whom I have watched now for several years. Many of the ideas he
          has came up with seemed "off the wall" to most people at first glance,
          but I have learned to be patient and see where he is going with his
          idea's. Many of which have proven to be quite valuable and informative
          to me. I have the greatest respect for what he does, the post and
          articles he has made on several of the forums or groups I am a member of.

          Now Jtiers, you on the other hand, seem to be "some kind of know it all"
          that I've seen through out my life. You hide behind the anonymity which
          the Internet provides you and wax eloquent about subjects you probably
          know little about, other than what you have read some where. When
          someone says something you may happen to disagree with you jump on your
          high horse an run your mouth. As far as I can tell you only started
          posting to this site near the first of the year. That post started with
          complaining about your post being deleted. I can find no websites or
          pictures of any thing you have actually done, other than to spout off
          and criticize the work someone else has done, or, is doing.

          Now, first you know absolutely nothing about me, what I have done
          through out my life, what I'm doing now, what I can and cannot do.

          <mailto:jerdal@...?subject=Re%3A%20new%20article%3A%20An%20Experimental%20Measurement%20System>

          This statement just plain pisses me off. "Offense".... Maybe not
          quite.... What is truly offensive is the more usual statements that are
          common, and amount to: "I can't measure that close, and don't want to,
          so YOU shouldn't try to do it either, cuz I say so".

          Who the hell are you to make such a statement about me. Someone you know
          nothing about. How many parts have you made for nuclear subs, or how
          many machines have you built that are used to "set lab quality
          standards" for international trade in the coal industry between the U.S.
          and China. Or for that matter how many students have you spent years
          teaching electronics too. All of which I can say "I Have." So before you
          start running your mouth about someone, maybe, just maybe, you need to
          find out a little about them.

          This statement is just what it is. The bit about "Just say'in guys, we
          are talking about HOME MACHINIST and HOME MADE or very old, well worn
          and abused equipment in most cases" gets close to that, but falls just
          short of it.

          Most people on this forum are new to machining and use there equipment
          for hobby purposes. Most I would venture to say DO NOT have new
          equipment and most have picked up used equipment from various sources
          like estate sales, family members, yard sales or auctions. None of which
          are places you would normally buy precession equipment.
          As the poster was a machinist, he ought to know that good machinists can
          get close tolerances out of worn equipment.... It's notoriously true,
          down to the famous "Bull O The Woods" cartoon about the shims and
          whatever that fell out of the machine whenever the temporary replacement
          machinist moved a handle on the machine.

          Jtiers, Your right with the statement above, about a good machinist can
          use junk machines and produce close tolerances. The fist machine I ever
          ran was converted line-shaft drive shaper. If you don't know what that
          is look it it up.

          But as I read and understand this topic, one of Ricks objectives is to
          make a cheap affordable means for the non-professional to obtain a high
          degree of accuracy with minimal skills. This I whole heartily appalled
          him for. As a matter of fact, Rick, I can see your current device being
          coupled to the DRO system you made for the HF lathe being coupled
          together to provide an outstanding DRO using, say a 1 inch. 7 segment
          display unit. Rather than having to use a magnifying glass to read the
          display on the calipers you are currently using. Just a thought, for
          Practical Application.

          Now someone mentioned the the miniature engines and cars people have
          built. I think if you where to ask most of these guys how they get the
          precision to build these machines you will find MOST if not all these
          machines, are made by hand work, much like the clock makers of old. That
          and the level of skill needed to produce those things are far beyond the
          skill level for even very good machinist. In fact I would put it closer
          to an art than skill. The guy that built the Bentley (I believe it was)
          took 20-30 yrs to build. How many of us on this group have that kind of
          dedication, tensity, and skill to do such a project. Not me. I know my
          limits and I would venture to say the same is true for most others on
          this group.

          Now to all the members of this group I want to apologize for going on
          this rant. It's not something I usually do.

          But to Jtiers, all I can say to you, is to give you an invitation to
          KISS MY ASS.

          Jim Blake in WV

          http://www.craftsmanshipmuseum.com/facility.htm

            Message 5 of 19 , Sep 25, 2013
              Jim:

              I have seldom seen such a nasty post. And I mean that in a good way.

              If that's what you really think, well there's not much to be done for you.
              You have to do it for yourself.

              I resent it when people start down the path of "this is what a home shop
              is, and precision has no part in it." It isn't fair to at least half the
              folks I know who have shops. I've met a number of them around my area, and
              they do work that is way better than some of what I get back from local
              commercial shops. And they do it on new imported machines, in most cases,
              but sometimes on ancient stuff I'd almost rather scrap than fix.

              If you can do hand work on tiny 4 cylinder engines that run and are so small
              they can sit on your thumb, complete with valves, spark plugs, and 3 piston
              rings per piston, you are better than me... those folks used machines.

              I've been here for 12 years or so, from way way back that I don't even
              recall. Aside from my own parts (I refurbish old machinery as a hobby) I
              am, for purposes of this discussion, the model shop machinist for the place
              I work, making one-offs for our prototypes and test rigs. (It isn't my
              regular job, but I do it anyway, particularly for parts I design and want to
              get samples of fast).

              Anonymity? You seem to know my name.....

              Now, I think Mr Sparber is fooling himself with the precision adapter for
              the $12 calipers.... I won't say he shouldn't try, though. And he asked
              for the assessment, twice, and I provided it, twice.

              I surely don't know it all.... neither do you.... everyone knows things
              others don't. Everyone is good at some things and not at others. NONE of
              us were born knowing anything... we all learned whatever we know. So nobody
              has any "corner" on knowledge.

              Calm down and we'll get along fine in the future. Just please quit
              assuming that home shops are no place for precision..... There are all
              kinds.

              JT

              Message 6 of 19 , Sep 25, 2013

                Phil,

                Thanks for the encouraging words. My insanity is solidly intact and I have no intensions of ending my quest to “till at windmills”. I firmly believe that if one of my ideas out of 100 is really great, then it was worth the effort. To me, failure is giving up. My primary goal on the measuring system was to learn to program the Arduino and handle the hardware. It has been a roaring success. Now I’m itching to find my next application of this technology!

                Rick

                Message 7 of 19 , Sep 25, 2013
                  Rick,

                  Someone mentioned it before, but I will repeat.

                  Here's a project I would like help with and your Ardunino
                  project may be the solution.

                  I have two igaging digital DRO units.
                  I have made adapters to mount them longitudinally and
                  cross wise on my 16" SBL.

                  However, in use, the digital counter does not start to move until
                  the cross slide has moved 0.25" and the reading drifts.
                  They are unusable as is.

                  Might your averaging system apply to make this useable?
                  More info off-line if needed.

                  Also, I'd love to learn how to use the Arduino, am esp interested in the
                  AC power shield and motor controller.

                  lance
                  ++++

                  On Sep 25, 2013, at 11:55 AM, Rick Sparber wrote:

                  Thanks for the encouraging words. My insanity is solidly intact and I have no intensions of ending my quest to “till at windmills”. I firmly believe that if one of my ideas out of 100 is really great, then it was worth the effort. To me, failure is giving up. My primary goal on the measuring system was to learn to program the Arduino and handle the hardware. It has been a roaring success. Now I’m itching to find my next application of this technology!

                • Frank
                  Message 8 of 19 , Sep 25, 2013
                    Rick,

                    Way off topic, but how about an SI570 Direct Synthesizer with band switching info using an Arduino for you next project.

                    Frank - W4NHJ

                    -

                    Message 9 of 19 , Sep 25, 2013

                      Lance,

                      Something is very wrong with either the igaging DROs or the way they are mounted. If it was me, I would start by trying to understand the root cause of these problems. Just connecting these DROs to a processor won’t get you better results. For example, how could a computer know what to do during that first 0.25” of movement when the display doesn’t move at all?

                      I took out many books from the library on programming Arduinos. The best of the bunch was the one by Simon Monk. It also helps A LOT to find someone you can contact when you get stumped. I’m very lucky to have a student that knows a lot about Arduinos and the related support systems. The docs range from excellent to awful so it is very difficult to do it all by yourself.

                      If you want a low cost way to get started learning about the Arduino, I suggest the sparkfun.com product called the Pro Micro. It costs $20 + s/h. Connect up a USB cable and you are ready to go. All software is free. The Arduino software development system works well. I wrote over 8K of program with it.

                      Those “shields” do let you avoid getting into electronics but they sure can be expensive. Given my background, I’m happier adding my own circuits to the Arduino.

                      Peace,

                      Message 10 of 19 , Sep 25, 2013

                        Frank,

                        I had to look up the SI570 Direct Synthesizer with band switching. My playground is closer to DC.  I do think that you are right to think about marrying this synthesizer with an Arduino. Are you so sure it hasn’t already been done?

                          Message 12 of 19 , Sep 26, 2013
                            True.

                            One big benefit of it though, is that you can get a reasonable processor, on a PWA, much cheaper than it would be to develop your own PWB and have it made.  Nothing whatever says you must use the "Arduino" software in any way whatsoever. Many people use the board as a cheap way to getting hardware, and bag the "intended" software entirely.

                            JT

                              Message 14 of 19 , Sep 26, 2013
                                Frank, Google K5BCQ. He has an Si570 DDS kit he sells at cost.

                                73,
                                Ed - N5KZW

                                --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, Frank <w4nhj@...> wrote:

                                > Rick,
                                >
                                > Way off topic, but how about an SI570 Direct Synthesizer with band
                                > switching info using an Arduinofor you next project.
                                >
                                > Frank - W4NHJ
                                >
                                > -
                                > On 9/25/13 11:55 AM, Rick Sparber wrote:
                                > >
                                > > Phil,
                                > >
                                > > Thanks for the encouraging words. My insanity is solidly intact and I
                                > > have no intensions of ending my quest to “till at windmills”. I firmly
                                > > believe that if one of my ideas out of 100 is really great, then it
                                > > was worth the effort. To me, failure is giving up. My primary goal on
                                > > the measuring system was to learn to program the Arduino and handle
                                > > the hardware. It has been a roaring success. Now I’m itching to find
                                > > my next application of this technology!
                                > >
                                > > Rick

                              • Gary Patterson
                                Message 15 of 19 , Sep 26, 2013
                                  On Sep 26, 2013 10:28 AM, "EdwinB" <n5kzw@...> wrote:

                                  Frank, Google K5BCQ. He has an Si570 DDS kit he sells at cost.

                                  73,
                                  Ed - N5KZW

                                  --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, Frank <w4nhj@...> wrote:

                                  > Rick,
                                  >
                                  > Way off topic, but how about an SI570 Direct Synthesizer with band
                                  > switching info using an Arduinofor you next project.
                                  >
                                  > Frank - W4NHJ
                                  >
                                  > -
                                  > On 9/25/13 11:55 AM, Rick Sparber wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > Phil,
                                  > >
                                  > > Thanks for the encouraging words. My insanity is solidly intact and I
                                  > > have no intensions of ending my quest to “till at windmills†. I firmly
                                  > > believe that if one of my ideas out of 100 is really great, then it
                                  > > was worth the effort. To me, failure is giving up. My primary goal on
                                  > > the measuring system was to learn to program the Arduino and handle
                                  > > the hardware. It has been a roaring success. Now I’m itching to find
                                  > > my next application of this technology!
                                  > >
                                  > > Rick

                                • Curt Wuollet
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Sep 26, 2013
                                    I write in C, but the arduino method is fairly efficient as it's a fairly thin layer on top of C. And it gets people programming without the host of fussy details you need to know to write C for a small processor without an OS. It isn't that spendy making your own boards these days either. I can get three boards for $5/sq.in. and I use PCB on linux so that's free. But i've seen freeduino blanks for $3 which is hard to beat. I like the serial versions which aren't in favor anymore, because USB isn't good for any distance. But yes, even though I can design and make my own boards it's a lot easier to ride the arduino shirttails.
                                    I did design and build a DRO shield, but abandoned it because it would cost more than the iGauging stuff.
                                    Regards

                                    cww

                                    Message 17 of 19 , Sep 26, 2013

                                      CWW,

                                      I came to the same conclusion about using an Arduino as just a DRO. Beyond the fact that it costs more than an iGauge, it is nothing new. IMHO, the fun is just beginning when you can pull the caliper data into a processor. Why stop at that point?

                                      Rick