Slow Speed Adapter

  • Mark Wolfe
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 21 11:22 PM
      I've got a Craftsman 101.24810 15" benchtop drill press. From
      everything I've found it was originally mfg'd by Atlas. I am
      understanding at one point a "slow speed adapter" that fit into the top
      post was available for this. Does anyone have any information on this?
      Is anyone making one available still? Drawings/pictures?

      The press uses 3L 3 step pulleys.

      Thanks,
      Mark
    • Dan Buchanan
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 22 2:05 PM
        Mark.

        The adapters are available occasionally on eBay and are found on some drill presses that came with them as an option or add-on.
        The last one I saw sold for $400.00 supposedly new. I have also seen them sell for $30.00 as an unknown part, but few and far between at that.

        Look on Page 8 of the Atlas Drill Press Catalog, No. D50  for the "Hi-Lo Speed Attachment".
        There were several versions, dependent upon which drill press you had.
        Check your column size and try to cross-reference the Craftsman Model # to the Atlas.
        It will help you determine exactly which Atlas version your Craftsman model corresponds to.

        Check your column size and other features on Page 5 to match the Craftsman Model # features to the Atlas.
        I believe the most common Craftsman benchtop drill presses made by Atlas were the 1010 & 1020.

        I have one of the W-122 attachments on my own Atlas 1010 circa.1950-60, and also have other files and photos that are pertinent, if you need them.

        I have tried to upload a .pdf copy of the above catalog to the Atlas-Craftsman Projects list FILES Section.
        But the file is 10MB in size and uploads are limited to 5120K.

        You should be able to download it from the Vintage Machinery site.

        -Dan

        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 22 5:52 PM
          it is  simply  a duplicate  of the original drive  pulley ,eccentrically  swivel  mounted  on an adapter  that  fits  into the  tube ..the eccentric mounting alloows it  to move  to allow proper  tension  on the  two  belts...i purchased  mine  form sears abt 50 yrs  ago ....speeds  from circa 200to 10 thou........imay still have  the  original sheet  that  came  w/ it  but no drawings ..i think there  was  an article  on constructing  one in popular sciece./popular mechanics/ mrchanix  illustrated .way  back .......
           am reminded that  the  bearing is  noisy  in  mine  needing  attention ....
           best  wishes
          doc
          I've got a Craftsman 101.24810 15" benchtop drill press. From
          everything I've found it was originally mfg'd by Atlas. I am
          understanding at one point a "slow speed adapter" that fit into the top
          post was available for this. Does anyone have any information on this?
          Is anyone making one available still? Drawings/pictures?

          The press uses 3L 3 step pulleys.

          Thanks,
          Mark
        • Jonathan H Bateman

            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 24 1:53 PM

              Mark,

              If you are looking for the adapter from a tool enthusiast point of view , then well understood .

              However if what you are looking for is slow speed for some reason , then a VFD controlled motor would be another (easier?) option ,

              Regards,

              Carvel

              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 25 2:58 AM
                By crazy coincidence, I was searching yesterday for information about just such a device to add to my Craftsman 15".

                At the web site owwm.org or vintagemachinery.org (can't remember which) there is a posting by a member who made his own slow speed adapter for a Craftsman 103.23130.
                (I apologize that I didn't put direct links. I can not access either web site this morning. Perhaps the sites are down for maintenance.)

                It's an intermediate pulley system that mounts to the top of the column. The member's directions and photos are very well done, so it's worth the hunt.

                The 103.23130 is a very similar drill press to yours, so it may work as-shown. (But the headstock is not nearly as cool looking as the Atlas.)

                Also at vintagemachiery.org, there two or three manuals for Craftsman's versions of slow speed adapters. Each has helpful exploded views, too. I'll be darned if I can figure out how to add the pdfs to this posting. If I succeed, I'll let you know.

                Craftsman also offered something called "Vari-Slo" which was spiffed up version that had a shifting lever mounted to the top of the headstock. I don't know if that would fit your Atlas because yours has the tall badge. If nothing else, the Vari-Slo looks really nifty.

                I didn't study the publications too well yet, but a quick glance looks like the pulley's pitch is actually varied to make the driven-to-drive ratio different.

                Finally, on the 103.23130, the manual talks about moving the pulley up & down to change the step combinations. It claims you can have 11 speeds with the existing pulleys. Maybe your Atlas does that, too. I have not figured out how to move the pulley(s) just yet. (Recently got the drill press & have not started bringing it into operating condition.)

                Hope some of this is helpful. It'll be interesting to know how it all turns out for you!

                Enjoy Today,
                Paul

                --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, Mark Wolfe <markw@...> wrote:

                > I've got a Craftsman 101.24810 15" benchtop drill press. From
                > everything I've found it was originally mfg'd by Atlas. I am
                > understanding at one point a "slow speed adapter" that fit into the top
                > post was available for this. Does anyone have any information on this?
                > Is anyone making one available still? Drawings/pictures?
                >
                > The press uses 3L 3 step pulleys.
                >
                > Thanks,
                > Mark

              • Mark Wolfe
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 26 11:10 AM
                  On 09/25/2013 02:58 AM, Paul wrote:

                  > By crazy coincidence, I was searching yesterday for information about
                  > just such a device to add to my Craftsman 15".
                  >
                  > At the web site owwm.org or vintagemachinery.org (can't remember which)
                  > there is a posting by a member who made his own slow speed adapter for a
                  > Craftsman 103.23130.
                  > (I apologize that I didn't put direct links. I can not access either web
                  > site this morning. Perhaps the sites are down for maintenance.)
                  >
                  > It's an intermediate pulley system that mounts to the top of the column.
                  > The member's directions and photos are very well done, so it's worth the
                  > hunt.
                  >
                  > The 103.23130 is a very similar drill press to yours, so it may work
                  > as-shown. (But the headstock is not nearly as cool looking as the Atlas.)
                  >
                  > Also at vintagemachiery.org, there two or three manuals for Craftsman's
                  > versions of slow speed adapters. Each has helpful exploded views, too.
                  > I'll be darned if I can figure out how to add the pdfs to this posting.
                  > If I succeed, I'll let you know.
                  >
                  > Craftsman also offered something called "Vari-Slo" which was spiffed up
                  > version that had a shifting lever mounted to the top of the headstock. I
                  > don't know if that would fit your Atlas because yours has the tall
                  > badge. If nothing else, the Vari-Slo looks really nifty.
                  >
                  > I didn't study the publications too well yet, but a quick glance looks
                  > like the pulley's pitch is actually varied to make the driven-to-drive
                  > ratio different.
                  >
                  > Finally, on the 103.23130, the manual talks about moving the pulley up &
                  > down to change the step combinations. It claims you can have 11 speeds
                  > with the existing pulleys. Maybe your Atlas does that, too. I have not
                  > figured out how to move the pulley(s) just yet. (Recently got the drill
                  > press & have not started bringing it into operating condition.)
                  >
                  > Hope some of this is helpful. It'll be interesting to know how it all
                  > turns out for you!
                  >
                  > Enjoy Today,
                  > Paul

                  I went back out and looked at the drill press, I know my dad or
                  grandfather replaced the motor at one time, the motor pulley is a 3
                  groove while the spindle pulley is 4 groove. I've gotten ahold of an
                  old dunlap 1/3 HP motor which is what was originally on this press.
                  My coworker just told me this morning that his 150 has the slow speed
                  adapter and he can go down to 72rpm. He's going to pull it and we'll
                  make a copy of it. It can't be too hard to make. The bearings for the
                  pulley will probably be the complicated part. My neighbor has an old
                  atlas/craftsman lathe that I can use to turn the pieces.

                  Thanks,
                  Mark
                • Jonathan H Bateman
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 28 7:52 AM
                    speaking of crazy coincidences,I bought , at obscene cost, the set of pulleys you need- no use to me- I have more than $50.00 in them. I will send them to you on approval. Please send details of shipment to: Jonathan Bateman, 25 Ivy Drive, Apt. 41, Keene, NH 03431 or to above email.
                               thanks, BLJHB.

                  • ksierens
                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 29 5:31 AM

                      Mark,

                      I made one for my 1952 Delta DP-200, but is should be about the same for yours. Finding a pulley with the bearing in it may be the hardest part, though you could also try with just a bronze bushing.

                      Here are some pictures:

                      http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u169/ksierens/Shop/IMG_0670.jpg

                      http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u169/ksierens/Shop/IMG_0671.jpg

                      http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u169/ksierens/Shop/IMG_0673.jpg

                      Message 10 of 10 , Dec 31, 2014
                        Hi, realize it has been quite awhile but I am currently in search of motor drive pulley for an Atlas Mk2 lathe. The pulley and belt are very narrow like 6mm or 1/4 inch drive. If you still have these please contact me 925-487-7895 e/mail clearsky@..., thanks, Douglas