TH54 spindle disassembly

  • PY1NB - Felipe Ceglia
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 22, 2013
      Hello gurus, please some advice!

      I dont know how to properly disassemble the spindle for the TH54:

      http://picpaste.com/spindle.png (link to its exploded view)

      The end collars should be threaded, but they have no faces to which a wrench could grip to. I could try a pipe wrench, but it would be terrible. (sorry my imprecise english)

      I have made some progress cleaning the parts. You can check some pictures here:
      https://plus.google.com/photos/111512966454328879960/albums/5925726231078502961

      Thanks,

      Felipe Ceglia - PY1NB
      PR1T team member /// Rio DX Group member /// Araucaria DX Group member
      http://dxwatch.com /// http://reversebeacon.net /// http://riodxgroup.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 23, 2013
        Felipe,

        If you haven't already done so, you should go to the Atlas_Craftsman_Projects Group and download the Atlas Technical Bulletin on the 10" headstock.  It is under Repairs and Maintenance/Tech Bulletins.

        However, it doesn't tell you how to get the one threaded collar loose.  Only the collar on the left end of the spindle is threaded.  The inboard one has two set screws.  If you cannot get the threaded one loose without using a pipe wrench, you need to find a Pin Spanner that fits the collar diameter, drill out or press out the pin, and replace it with a 1/4"-20 cap screw (bolt).  Remove the set screw from the collar and attach the spanner to the collar with the screw (make sure that the screw does not touch the brass plug in the bottom of the collar's tapped hole).  Slack the spindle belt, put it on the largest pulley groove and lock the spindle by squeezing the belt.  If you have already cut the belt off, use the cut belt (wrapped around the pulley.

        If you cannot find a proper size pin spanner to modify, use a piece of flat bar 1/2" thick and wide enough to bore a hole in that will just slip over the collar.  Drill a 1/4" hole for the screw through the side of the bar into the large hole.  Use the bar as a wrench.

        But do not use a pin spanner with a pin small enough to fit in the tapped hole in the collar or you will ruin the threads in the collar.

        Once you have the collar off, follow the instructions in the Bulletin.  Note that a better way to pull the spindle through the headstock is with a threaded rod through the spindle , a receiver tube over the right end of the spindle, and necessary nuts and washers.  But the method in the Bulletin will work.

        Robert Downs - Houston

        In a message dated 09/22/2013 11:10:25 AM Central Daylight Time, felipeceglia2@... writes:
        Hello gurus, please some advice!

        I dont know how to properly disassemble the spindle for the TH54:

        http://picpaste.com/spindle.png (link to its exploded view)

        The end collars should be threaded, but they have no faces to which a wrench could grip to. I could try a pipe wrench, but it would be terrible. (sorry my imprecise english)

        I have made some progress cleaning the parts. You can check some pictures here:
        https://plus.google.com/photos/111512966454328879960/albums/5925726231078502961

        Thanks,

        Felipe Ceglia - PY1NB

        Robert & Susan Downs - Houston