Re: [atlas_craftsman] 30 sec metric conversion

  • Ron Mattson
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 18, 2013
      I'll check it again, but the thread seemed to measure 2mm. It must be something simple, or I measured wrong.

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Sep 18, 2013, at 11:20 AM, "Carvel Webb" <carvelw@...> wrote:

      Ron ,

      With the 52T gear away from the headstock , then the imperial ranges remain the same except for the coarsest threads , so your 16 tpi on the box should still be 16 tpi .

      The Metric ranges for 1mm/1.25mm/1.5mm will then be 60 / 48 / 40 on the box , so you should be getting 1mm on the 60 tpi setting ?

      The 30 / 24 / 20 settings would give you 2mm / 2.5mm / 3 mm pitches ,

      Regards,

      Carvel

      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 19, 2013
        dlclark66 (???),

        I downloaded the files out of curiosity. I don't have a 3D-printer nor a larger Atlas lathe so they aren't of any use to me but I'm curious about several things.

        You appear to have a 20 without keyways but no 20 with keyways.
        You have 24 tooth 20 PA, for what?
        You have another 24, what PA and with or without keyways?
        You have two 46s and two 48s, the significance of which I haven't sorted out.
        You have no 54.
        You do have 32, 36, 40, 44, 50, 52, 56, 60, and 64.

        There are other gears which would be useful, 21, 63, 37, and 47 are useful for inch-metric conversion, as is 34 combined with 36. 38 is useful for 19 TPI. Depending on how difficult it is to generate the files, it might be useful to include all numbers from 20 through 72 (80, 100, and 127 might be a stretch).

        How did you generate these files? Are they true involutes or circular approximations? How difficult would it be to do the same for 24 DP gears as used for the Atlas 6" lathe? Can you do gears with altered pitch diameters?

        I'm CCing a copy of this message directly to you, I'd be interested in some discussion off group.

        Anthony
        Berkeley, Calif.
        In a message dated Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:58 am (PDT), dlclark66 writes:
        I was missing a few change gears for my Atlas 10" Pic O Matic lathe so I decided to try to draw them out and print them with my 3D printer. I used Taulman3D.com 618 nylon for the material since it is kind of self lubricating and stronger than PLA for a gear application. It turned out so well that I created STL files for all of the change gears and printed them. I've placed these STL files on Thingiverse for anyone who might want to print their own gears. The Pic O Matic uses most of the standard 10" Atlas gears so there may be one there that you need.
        I hope someone finds them useful.
        You can find them here
        http://www.thingive rse.com/thing: 143893
      • Ronald Mattson
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 20, 2013
          Carvel,
          Thanks for straightening me out.

          It turns out I was set on 30TPI with the 52 tooth gear away from the headstock & got 2mm threads. I'll try with the 52 next to the headstock to see the difference.

          I have a cute little falling block action, all engraved, but also all metric, that's missing some parts & screws. Some of the threads are going to be less than 1mm, so that's my metric project.
          Regards, Ron

          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 20, 2013

            Ron,

            Glad we got that sorted .

            With the 52T next to the headstock , the sliding gear will engage the 44T and the 16T , which should give you 1mm on the 30tpi setting .

            I normally revert to taps and dies for anything smaller than 1mm which is why I didn’t explore it further .

            0.5mm and 0.75mm are available easily enough , but 0.8 and 0.9 you would probably have to revert to the Atlas threading charts J

            Regards,

            Carvel

            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 20, 2013

              dlclark66

              I'd also like to know which 3D printer you are using.

              And any comments you might have as to why this printer as opposed to the many others out there.

              I became curious after reading the newsstand Make book on 3D printing, but so far have not taken the plunge. (Another slippery slope.)

              I suspect a bit of discussion on 3D printing is not out of bounds for this group, as besides gears, the possibility exists of making some other parts for our Atlas machines -- as well as for our projects made largely on Atlas machines.

              regards

              Steve in Thunder Bay, Ontario

              --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, <atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

[...]

            • Doc
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 20, 2013
                46 T is the  "stndrd" gear  for 11-1/2 tpi pipe  thrds  on many older loose change  lathes ...used  for  IIRC 11/2 in &  other pipe  thrds....although  i  cut a  23 gear to  use  w/ comounding  since  i did not  have  a 4in disc  of cast iron ......why  two ?   dunno ....
                 best  wishes
                doc
                You have two 46s