Re: Craftsman 6 inch lathe 109 21270 [1 Attachment]

  • anthrhodes
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 14, 2013
      Frank,

      He's talking about an AA model 109-21279 6" lathe, not an Atlas-built lathe. I think the pulley may be fastened directly to the spindle unless it's one of the units which has an epicyclic back gear.

      kdspriggs (please use a real name), pull the set screw you installed and see if there is another inside it which just wasn't screwed all the way in, a common problem. I'm probably wrong on this but it's quite well known that there are often two set screws in the hole, one for keying to the shaft and another on top of the first to act as a lock screw, same as a lock nut.

      Anthony
      Berkeley, Calif.
      In a message dated Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:03 am (PDT), redcatradio1000 writes:
      That is not a set screw to lock the pulley to the spindle; it is an oil
      hole to oil the spindle. Do not screw it down and lock the spindle.
    • David Hair
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 14, 2013
        If he is talking about a 109 you sure don't want to lock that set screw.

        D.Hair

        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 14, 2013
          Anthony,

          In his original post (unfortunately not copied into this partial thread) he specifically gives the thread depth and the total hole depth, which are quite a bit different.  Therefore the set screw was intended to be an oil plug.  Unless someone assembled the thing with the wrong pulley.

          Robert D.