Craftsman 6 inch lathe 109 21270

  • kdspriggs
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 13, 2013
    I recently purchased one of these. After cleaning and checking it over I discovered that the set screw (SP 728 1/4-20x1/4) was missing. This would lock the stepped pulley to the headstock spindle.  I put one in, but  it bottomed out before it reached the shaft. Closer examination revealed that the hole was not tapped all the way to the shaft. The total depth of the hole was 1.150inches and the threaded portion only extended .555 deep. The remain part of the hole was .185 diameter. I can easily do a fix on it by inserting a .180 diameter brass or steel rod in before I put the set screw in or turn the end of a set screw down to .180 diameter. I am always lerry of doing a modification to something that should work without it....Tell me what you think.
  • Frank
    Message 2 of 8 , Sep 14, 2013
      That is not a set screw to lock the pulley to the spindle; it is an oil hole to oil the spindle.  Do not screw it down and lock the spindle.

      Frank - W4NHJ

      -
      On 9/14/13 1:39 AM, kdspriggs@... wrote:

      I recently purchased one of these. After cleaning and checking it over I discovered that the set screw (SP 728 1/4-20x1/4) was missing. This would lock the stepped pulley to the headstock spindle.  I put one in, but  it bottomed out before it reached the shaft. Closer examination revealed that the hole was not tapped all the way to the shaft. The total depth of the hole was 1.150inches and the threaded portion only extended .555 deep. The remain part of the hole was .185 diameter. I can easily do a fix on it by inserting a .180 diameter brass or steel rod in before I put the set screw in or turn the end of a set screw down to .180 diameter. I am always lerry of doing a modification to something that should work without it....Tell me what you think.

    • Carvel Webb
      Message 3 of 8 , Sep 14, 2013

        And I guess this is not the last time this will be written either – maybe we need a “New Owners guide to your Atlas / Craftsman lathe” ?

        By way of explanation – the pulley must be free to rotate on the spindle when back gear is engaged ,

        Regards,

        Carvel

          Message 5 of 8 , Sep 14, 2013
            KD,

            As Frank and Carvel have already written, the set screw for the tapped hole in the spindle step pulley is an oil plug.  It should be removed and several squirts of SAE 20 injected periodically and every time before you use the back gears.  We see one or two machines a year here where some PO has tapped the hole through and scarred the spindle.  It doesn't do any serious damage (except to one spot) until you put the machine in back gear where the step pulley is now turning faster than the spindle.  Then it scars the spindle all the way around.  Later, if you disassemble the headstock, the scars damage bushings as you pull the spindle out.

            Unfortunately, an email reflector as to most people we have here does not lend itself to having a few critical warnings that stay at the top of the threads list so that everyone sees them anytime they look at the list.  It is fortunate that you asked before you got out the tap set!

            Robert Downs - Houston

            In a message dated 09/14/2013 00:40:19 AM Central Daylight Time, kdspriggs@... writes:
            <*>[Attachment(s) from kdspriggs@... included below]

            I recently purchased one of these. After cleaning and checking it over I discovered that the set screw (SP 728 1/4-20x1/4) was missing. This would lock the stepped pulley to the headstock spindle.&nbsp; I put one in, but&nbsp; it bottomed out before it reached the shaft. Closer examination revealed that the hole was not tapped all the way to the shaft. The total depth of the hole was 1.150inches and the threaded portion only extended .555 deep. The remain part of the hole was .185 diameter. I can easily do a fix on it by inserting a .180 diameter brass or steel rod in before I put the set screw in or turn the end of a set screw down to .180 diameter. I am always leary of doing a modification to something that should work without it....Tell me what you think.

          • anthrhodes
            Message 6 of 8 , Sep 14, 2013
              Frank,

              He's talking about an AA model 109-21279 6" lathe, not an Atlas-built lathe. I think the pulley may be fastened directly to the spindle unless it's one of the units which has an epicyclic back gear.

              kdspriggs (please use a real name), pull the set screw you installed and see if there is another inside it which just wasn't screwed all the way in, a common problem. I'm probably wrong on this but it's quite well known that there are often two set screws in the hole, one for keying to the shaft and another on top of the first to act as a lock screw, same as a lock nut.

              Anthony
              Berkeley, Calif.
              In a message dated Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:03 am (PDT), redcatradio1000 writes:
              That is not a set screw to lock the pulley to the spindle; it is an oil
              hole to oil the spindle. Do not screw it down and lock the spindle.
            • David Hair
              Message 7 of 8 , Sep 14, 2013
                If he is talking about a 109 you sure don't want to lock that set screw.

                D.Hair

                Message 8 of 8 , Sep 14, 2013
                  Anthony,

                  In his original post (unfortunately not copied into this partial thread) he specifically gives the thread depth and the total hole depth, which are quite a bit different.  Therefore the set screw was intended to be an oil plug.  Unless someone assembled the thing with the wrong pulley.

                  Robert D.