Re: [atlas_craftsman] North Texas hobby machinist club

  • David Hair
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 10 6:17 AM
      Re: [atlas_craftsman] North Texas hobby machinist club
      anyone know of a machinist group or club in the Northwesr GA or Chattanooga TN area.

      Thanks
      D.Hair
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 10 9:09 AM
        Not sure if this helps, but have you checked out "Makerspaces" or "HackerSpaces"? These are basically workshops that folks can get a membership to and come in and use the equipment and be around other people who are interested in making things. The one near me includes a wide range of tools (metalworking (Bridgeport mills, lathe, cutoff saw), woodworking (lathe, planer/jointer, tablesaw, etc), electronics (oscilloscope, soldering station), 3D printers, laser cutters, etc)

        Because of the wide range of tools it winds up attracting folks with a wide range of interests. If you're looking for someplace that might get you access to tools you don't have yourself, and perhaps another person who has similar interests these might be an option. If you're looking for regular meetings focused on machining and metalworking, probably not so much. (Although they'd probably be glad to let you start having meetings with that focus to share knowledge and build the expertise)

        I found a few doing a web search, not sure where they are at with regards to tools available or how close they are to you:

        Chat*Lab in Chattanooga:

        BuildLabAlpha in Alpharetta, GA:
            Meetup.com: http://www.meetup.com/Alpharetta-makerspace-brainstorm/

        Makercities, Rome, GA:
            Meetup.com: http://www.meetup.com/Maker-Cities-Northwest-GA/

        Atlanta Makers, Atlanta, GA:
            Meetup.com: http://www.meetup.com/Atlanta-Makers/

        Aaron

        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 10 4:26 PM
          That's only if you show up.
          You haven't been this far down south in a long time now, but with the price of gas I can see why.
          Jack Sims
          Carrollton, Texas