Re: [atlas_craftsman] Re: Introduction and help...

  • Lew Tousignant
    Message 1 of 45 , Sep 8, 2013
      I had a similar problem on my Kalamazoo 7AW saw.  There was no provision for a top bearing to keep the blade from riding up, away from the workpiece while cutting.  Tensioning the blade helped, but the tension required to keep the teeth of the blade away from the gap between the bearings put a lot of strain on the pulley bearings.

      Solution was flanged bearings on the blade guides, one on either side of the workpiece.

      On Sun, Sep 8, 2013 at 4:27 PM, Charles <xlch58@...> wrote:

      Normal ball bearings tilt, it is the result of the internal clearances between the inner and outer race and the rolling element.   Often the engineer wants to allow for a certain axial misalignment.  If you are trying to control axial tilt tightly, a ten percent increase in width is not likely the answer, particular in a bandsaw guide where the outer race is not compressed, and where it will expand more than the internal race due to its use.   If they are trying to constrain the axial tilt, then the answer is a double row deep groove bearing or two bearings that allow them to add preload.  If you look at a variety of  ball bearing band saw blade guides you will find that the majority do not include a bevel and they appear to work well supporting the blade.  In fact, the old Atlas is the only one of that I know.  Many precision bandsaws  incorporate two bearings on each side so that they can preload (including those currently built by Atlas).  The two bearings in the vintage  Atlas are two different widths by the way.  In any event, I do not find the bevel wasteful, as it is quite useful to me, it makes inserting the blade easier.  I also do not believe they went to the extra width to maintain tilt tolerances.  If you actually analyze the Atlas design from an engineering perspective it is quit clever and accomplishes that partly in other ways.  You have to keep in mind that it is a only a portable bandsaw and not a microtome though.

      Charles

      Charles,

      A wider bearing with the front edge tapered might seem wasteful because the tapered section does not provide support for the blade, but the bearing does include a wider hub which helps keep it and its periphery properly aligned.so that the periphery helps maintain true alignment of the blade on those parts on which it does have bearing.

      Anthony
      Berkeley, Calif

      --
      Lew Tousignant (Lucas)
      ltousig@...
      Message 45 of 45 , Sep 9, 2013
        Bearings are on their way from McMaster Carr.  We will see if it provides a quick fix, while I design a better guide to replace the fabbed one that is on there now.