Re: [atlas_craftsman] Cutting threads

  • Rick Sparber
    Message 1 of 39 , Sep 7, 2013
      Maybe this will help

      On Sep 7, 2013, at 7:56 AM, John Cibulskis <jacs1954@...> wrote:

      Note;
      Are  you are cutting with your compound?
      Set at 29.5 deg?
      Cutting with only one side of tool?
      The deeper you go to achieve root, lighten up on chip load,

      Always use compound , when threading (feed) and cross for zero ( x) (clearance)

      Jc

      Sent from Samsung tablet
      Message 39 of 39 , Feb 24, 2016
        On 02/24/2016 03:59 PM, c.hinton@... [atlas_craftsman] wrote:

        I have a 1.0 in. round with 1.0 inch of threads. Is it possible to chuck this round up and extend the threads to 2.0 inches?  Can I set up for the 13 threads per inch and engage the carriage feed and slip the round in the chuck so the bit is in the first thread groove? Or is there a better way?

        Put the compound parallel to the main bed way.  Engage the threading gears, and turn the lathe over by hand until the carriage starts to move.  Bring the threading tool toward the existing thread using the cross feed until it is close to the major diameter, then adjust the compound until the point is centered in the thread.  Advance the cross feed a bit, and adjust until the tool is all the way down into the thread.  This will allow you to pick up and continue the thread with minimal error.