Re: [atlas_craftsman] Re: Looking for a "Projects in Metal" article

  • Rick Sparber
    Message 1 of 27 , Sep 5 10:30 PM
      Robert,

      I wish you would not violate the copyright. It is stealing to make copies and give them out.

      Rick

      On Sep 5, 2013, at 10:26 PM, "Ken Harrington" <dreamcrafters@...> wrote:

      > Robert, I would all so be interested in that article as well. I have been trying to figure out a way to do just that on my 6" lathe. would be much appreciated, thanks, Ken
      >
      > --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Payne" <pioneer@...> wrote:
      >>
      >> I have it...!
      >>
      >> In fact,.. I have every issue of Home Shop Machinist & Projects in
      >> Metal/Machinist Work Shop from issue # 1 in 1982, through today. I still
      >> subscribe to both magazines.
      >>
      >> This weekend I will copy the article & email it to you. Sometimes the fact
      >> that the pages are bound can make copying a little difficult, but it is
      >> better than nothing.
      >>
      >> Robert Payne
      >> pioneer@...

    • Paul
      Message 2 of 27 , Sep 6 4:42 AM
        Rick and All - Since you could consider this group educational, and the "article" is not the complete publication (I would assume less than 10% of it) you might be able to justify passing it on as "fair use" as long as it's not posted on the web. Another way might be to request it from the publisher:
        http://www.homeshopmachinist.net/home

        Or from a Library:
        http://www.craftsmanshipmuseum.com/library.htm

        Paul H.

        Message 3 of 27 , Sep 6 4:50 AM
          Paul,

          If you are talking about 10% of the article, then maybe it is fair use but not 10% of the magazine.

          I would much prefer a discussion on this BBS on how one could design an automatic release.

          Rick

          Message 4 of 27 , Sep 6 5:15 AM
            Rick - As you say a discussion would be preferable. Although, the current practice is an article or 10% of the publication. Our Resource Sharing Department (here at the library I work in) copies or more frequently scans complete articles or chapters of publications for electronic distribution to patrons from both inside and outside the University. There are exceptions depending on the actual copyright. For example materials from the British National Library cannot be distributed electronically.

            Message 5 of 27 , Sep 6 5:59 AM
              Paul,

              If Village Press, publisher of the magazine, explicitly said it was
              acceptable to distribute free copies of their articles, that would be fine
              with me. You could even contact George Bulliss, Editor, directly if you
              like (gbulliss@...).

              There is a reason that Village Press SELLS back issues.

              Rick

              Message 6 of 27 , Sep 6 9:32 AM
                Paul wrote:
                > Rick and All - Since you could consider this group educational, and the "article" is not the complete publication (I would assume less than 10% of it) you might be able to justify passing it on as "fair use" as long as it's not posted on the web. Another way might be to request it from the publisher:
                > http://www.homeshopmachinist.net/home

                Also, if the magazine has no more reprints to sell, then you are not
                denying them the
                chance to make money selling what they do not have. (I have no idea if they
                still have reprints of this article.)

                Jon
              • Rexarino
                Message 7 of 27 , Sep 6 10:40 AM
                  The entire magazine issue in question is available from Village Press
                  for the very small price of $5.75 in the USA. The wonderful lady I
                  talked to was knowledgeable, friendly and saw some humor in the
                  situation, which is MUCH better than this discussion is likely to
                  devolve into if the subject of copyright is pursued! Please buy one
                  of the 12 remaining issues from Village Press, which will encourage
                  them to continue publishing a valuable resource for our community,
                  otherwise, I suggest no one post a public request for theft.

                  I propose that if you are not willing to spend $5.75 in pursuit of
                  this device, you will never build it and will never really use the
                  information from the article. It's the "buy-in" (whether dollars or
                  the spark of interest or dedication) that motivates us to actually get
                  off our computer and go to the shop and build a project, or invent a
                  derivative.

                  If you "just want to see .........", then the search [ "automatic shut
                  off" lathe ] will yield 2.8 million results, so there's no reason to
                  limit your curiosity to a questionable request for a copyrighted
                  article.

                  I'm personally in the middle of the road on these situations. The
                  original request seemed valid to me, because someone had a direct
                  interest in a specific old article that some degree of research had
                  led him to, hence, the implication he was seriously pursuing that
                  device. The other requests give me a bad feeling..., especially as
                  they were posted to a public forum, with the implied message that it's
                  OK to ask for multiple copies of questionable content.

                  A very good friend and his wife make a living as musicians in a niche
                  field. They sometimes lose money on tours, so their CD's and online
                  sales are pretty much their ENTIRE income. When the songs on a CD
                  start getting copied all over the web, the remaining stock of CD's
                  become a loss of investment, essentially wasted money that could have
                  paid for food.

                  Let's not do the same thing with old articles from Village Press,
                  please. If they dump all those old magazines because we are
                  publishing copies, I, for one, will lose a very valuable resource!

                  Wishing all of you the best, with no personal attacks intended,
                  Rex

                  Rex Bosse
                  Portland, Oregon

                  > I wish you would not violate the copyright. It is stealing to make copies and give them out.
                  >
                  > Rick
                • Rick Sparber
                  Message 8 of 27 , Sep 6 11:29 AM
                    I don't think "out of print" means the copyright is void. What if they printed more and could not sell them because it was on the web for free?

                    Rick

                    Message 9 of 27 , Sep 6 3:45 PM
                      Does anyone who has a legit copy happen to know whether the method used in the article for the 6" would be relatively applicable to the late 12"?  If so, what's the phone number for Village Press?  And what was the month and year of the issue involved?

                      Robert D.

                      In a message dated 09/06/2013 12:40:33 PM Central Daylight Time, rexarino@... writes:
                      The entire magazine issue in question is available from Village Press
                      for the very small price of $5.75 in the USA.  The wonderful lady I
                      talked to was knowledgeable, friendly and saw some humor in the
                      situation, which is MUCH better than this discussion is likely to
                      devolve into if the subject of copyright is pursued!  Please buy one
                      of the 12 remaining issues from Village Press, which will encourage
                      them to continue publishing a valuable resource for our community,
                      otherwise, I suggest no one post a public request for theft.

                      I propose that if you are not willing to spend $5.75 in pursuit of
                      this device, you will never build it and will never really use the
                      information from the article.  It's the "buy-in" (whether dollars or
                      the spark of interest or dedication) that motivates us to actually get
                      off our computer and go to the shop and build a project, or invent a
                      derivative.

                      If you "just want to see .........", then the search [ "automatic shut
                      off" lathe ] will yield 2.8 million results, so there's no reason to
                      limit your curiosity to a questionable request for a copyrighted
                      article.

                      I'm personally in the middle of the road on these situations.  The
                      original request seemed valid to me, because someone had a direct
                      interest in a specific old article that some degree of research had
                      led him to, hence, the implication he was seriously pursuing that
                      device.  The other requests give me a bad feeling..., especially as
                      they were posted to a public forum, with the implied message that it's
                      OK to ask for multiple copies of questionable content.

                      A very good friend and his wife make a living as musicians in a niche
                      field.  They sometimes lose money on tours, so their CD's and online
                      sales are pretty much their ENTIRE income.  When the songs on a CD
                      start getting copied all over the web, the remaining stock of CD's
                      become a loss of investment, essentially wasted money that could have
                      paid for food.

                      Let's not do the same thing with old articles from Village Press,
                      please.  If they dump all those old magazines because we are
                      publishing copies, I, for one, will lose a very valuable resource!

                      Wishing all of you the best, with no personal attacks intended,
                      Rex

                      Rex Bosse
                      Portland, Oregon

                      >I wish you would not violate the copyright. It is stealing to make copies and give them out.
                      >
                      >Rick

                      Robert & Susan Downs - Houston
                    • Guenther Paul
                      Message 10 of 27 , Sep 6 3:59 PM
                        Robert
                        I will contact George Bullis and get you his e-mail. I think he likes to be contacted by mail

                        GP

                        Does anyone who has a legit copy happen to know whether the method used in the article for the 6" would be relatively applicable to the late 12"?  If so, what's the phone number for Village Press?  And what was the month and year of the issue involved?

                        Robert D.

                        In a message dated 09/06/2013 12:40:33 PM Central Daylight Time, rexarino@... writes:
                        The entire magazine issue in question is available from Village Press
                        for the very small price of $5.75 in the USA.  The wonderful lady I
                        talked to was knowledgeable, friendly and saw some humor in the
                        situation, which is MUCH better than this discussion is likely to
                        devolve into if the subject of copyright is pursued!  Please buy one
                        of the 12 remaining issues from Village Press, which will encourage
                        them to continue publishing a valuable resource for our community,
                        otherwise, I suggest no one post a public request for theft.

                        I propose that if you are not willing to spend $5.75 in pursuit of
                        this device, you will never build it and will never really use the
                        information from the article.  It's the "buy-in" (whether dollars or
                        the spark of interest or dedication) that motivates us to actually get
                        off our computer and go to the shop and build a project, or invent a
                        derivative.

                        If you "just want to see .........", then the search [ "automatic shut
                        off" lathe ] will yield 2.8 million results, so there's no reason to
                        limit your curiosity to a questionable request for a copyrighted
                        article.

                        I'm personally in the middle of the road on these situations.  The
                        original request seemed valid to me, because someone had a direct
                        interest in a specific old article that some degree of research had
                        led him to, hence, the implication he was seriously pursuing that
                        device.  The other requests give me a bad feeling..., especially as
                        they were posted to a public forum, with the implied message that it's
                        OK to ask for multiple copies of questionable content.

                        A very good friend and his wife make a living as musicians in a niche
                        field.  They sometimes lose money on tours, so their CD's and online
                        sales are pretty much their ENTIRE income.  When the songs on a CD
                        start getting copied all over the web, the remaining stock of CD's
                        become a loss of investment, essentially wasted money that could have
                        paid for food.

                        Let's not do the same thing with old articles from Village Press,
                        please.  If they dump all those old magazines because we are
                        publishing copies, I, for one, will lose a very valuable resource!

                        Wishing all of you the best, with no personal attacks intended,
                        Rex

                        Rex Bosse
                        Portland, Oregon

                        >I wish you would not violate the copyright. It is stealing to make copies and give them out.
                        >
                        >Rick

                        Robert & Susan Downs - Houston
                      • Guenther Paul
                        Message 11 of 27 , Sep 6 4:06 PM
                          Robert
                          I just mailed George it will be tomorrow before he answers

                          GP

                          Does anyone who has a legit copy happen to know whether the method used in the article for the 6" would be relatively applicable to the late 12"?  If so, what's the phone number for Village Press?  And what was the month and year of the issue involved?

                          Robert D.

                          In a message dated 09/06/2013 12:40:33 PM Central Daylight Time, rexarino@... writes:
                          The entire magazine issue in question is available from Village Press
                          for the very small price of $5.75 in the USA.  The wonderful lady I
                          talked to was knowledgeable, friendly and saw some humor in the
                          situation, which is MUCH better than this discussion is likely to
                          devolve into if the subject of copyright is pursued!  Please buy one
                          of the 12 remaining issues from Village Press, which will encourage
                          them to continue publishing a valuable resource for our community,
                          otherwise, I suggest no one post a public request for theft.

                          I propose that if you are not willing to spend $5.75 in pursuit of
                          this device, you will never build it and will never really use the
                          information from the article.  It's the "buy-in" (whether dollars or
                          the spark of interest or dedication) that motivates us to actually get
                          off our computer and go to the shop and build a project, or invent a
                          derivative.

                          If you "just want to see .........", then the search [ "automatic shut
                          off" lathe ] will yield 2.8 million results, so there's no reason to
                          limit your curiosity to a questionable request for a copyrighted
                          article.

                          I'm personally in the middle of the road on these situations.  The
                          original request seemed valid to me, because someone had a direct
                          interest in a specific old article that some degree of research had
                          led him to, hence, the implication he was seriously pursuing that
                          device.  The other requests give me a bad feeling..., especially as
                          they were posted to a public forum, with the implied message that it's
                          OK to ask for multiple copies of questionable content.

                          A very good friend and his wife make a living as musicians in a niche
                          field.  They sometimes lose money on tours, so their CD's and online
                          sales are pretty much their ENTIRE income.  When the songs on a CD
                          start getting copied all over the web, the remaining stock of CD's
                          become a loss of investment, essentially wasted money that could have
                          paid for food.

                          Let's not do the same thing with old articles from Village Press,
                          please.  If they dump all those old magazines because we are
                          publishing copies, I, for one, will lose a very valuable resource!

                          Wishing all of you the best, with no personal attacks intended,
                          Rex

                          Rex Bosse
                          Portland, Oregon

                          >I wish you would not violate the copyright. It is stealing to make copies and give them out.
                          >
                          >Rick

                          Robert & Susan Downs - Houston
                        • Rick Sparber
                          Message 12 of 27 , Sep 6 4:31 PM
                            GP,

                            I talked to George this morning. Here is some of what he said:

                            "Our articles are protected under First North American copyright laws. I do not have time to go back and read through everything in the law, but I am quite certain that there is no magic “10% rule” that allows the unauthorized use of portions of a publication. Also, there is no loophole that allows you to get around copyright law by only copying one article out of a magazine. The guy is just plain wrong on this.

                            With our articles, the author holds the rights to his content and must give permission for any second use of the material. In the case of copying the article, Village Press must also give permission, as we hold the rights to any layout, editing, and drawing work we may have put into the article. It makes no difference whether the author had previously posted his content on the internet, his material is protected by copyright and cannot be used or distributed without his permission.

                            Obviously, articles get shared without permission all the time; that’s just part of the business. However, those who take the time to contact us for permission will find that we, and the authors, are very helpful when it comes to sharing with fellow enthusiasts. Village Press has had a long-standing policy to not charge for second use of articles when used for educational purposes or for club newsletters, etc."

                            Rick

                            Robert & Susan Downs - Houston
                          • James Irwin
                            Message 13 of 27 , Sep 6 4:57 PM
                              Re: [atlas_craftsman] Re: Looking for a "Projects in Metal" article One is allowed to make a copy of an article for his own use within the copyright law.

                              Jim Irwin

                            • Guenther Paul
                              Message 14 of 27 , Sep 6 5:01 PM
                                Thanks Rick
                                Does the atlas-craftsman group qualify for a free article ? My guess would be no

                                Robert & Susan Downs - Houston
                              • Rick Sparber
                                Message 15 of 27 , Sep 6 5:28 PM
                                  GP,

                                  No harm in asking.

                                  Rick

                                  On Sep 6, 2013, at 5:01 PM, Guenther Paul <paulguenter@...> wrote:

> [...]

                                  A very good friend and his wife make a living as musicians in a niche
                                  field.  They sometimes lose money on tours, so their CD's and online
                                  sales are pretty much their ENTIRE income.  When the songs on a CD
                                  start getting copied all over the web, the remaining stock of CD's
                                  become a loss of investment, essentially wasted money that could have
                                  paid for food.

                                  Let's not do the same thing with old articles from Village Press,
                                  please.  If they dump all those old magazines because we are
                                  publishing copies, I, for one, will lose a very valuable resource!

                                  Wishing all of you the best, with no personal attacks intended,
                                  Rex

                                  Rex Bosse
                                  Portland, Oregon

                                  >I wish you would not violate the copyright. It is stealing to make copies and give them out.

                                  Robert & Susan Downs - Houston
                                • Rexarino
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Sep 6 11:18 PM
                                    Robert, the design in the April 1998 issue uses an activating cam mounted below the apron, clamped to the machined bottom surface of the lathe bed.  No machined or unmachined surface extends below the apron on my 12" Craftsman, so there is no obvious way to adapt that design to a 12 inch lathe.  One could add a rod sticking out at an oblique angle from the engagement lever - as was done in the original - and arrange some (likely quite different) method to mount a cam and push/pull block for activation, but the design would be quite unlike the unit that Edward Badger created.  The original design is not simple to adapt to the 12 inch lathe.

                                    A solenoid mounted on the apron to disengage the feed lever and a sensitive switch triggered by the carriage to operate the solenoid through a relay would be a quick and effective way to disengage the feed lever.

                                    An ideal mechanical activation would have some means that "snapped" the feed lever off with some kind of "over-center" mechanism that gave a clean quick disengagement.

                                    Best wishes,
                                    Rex Bosse
                                    Portland, Oregon

                                    Robert & Susan Downs - Houston

                                  • stevemetsch
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Sep 7 11:17 AM

                                      I have such a device on my 10F probably installed y my father in law in the 80s. It works well and dependably.  I took some photos and will try to post them. If I don't succeed and you want them just reply to me directly at stevemetsch@....

                                      Robert & Susan Downs - Houston