Re: [atlas_craftsman] changing timken bearings

    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 4, 2013
      auag85201@... wrote:

      > what is the proceedure for changing the spindle bearings on an old 10
      > inch atlas lathe?...also how do you set the preload on them?
      Scott has pointed you to the instructions. But, I recommend making a pair
      of discs on the lathe before tearing it apart, or using another lathe.
      One fits in each end on the spindle, with a step to center it in the
      bore and prevent
      slipping, and a center drill hole in the other side. Then, you need a
      gear puller.
      This makes it very easy to push the spindle out through the bearings.
      Also, make
      sure the area where the bearings will slide over the spindle are clean of
      grit, and maybe wipe a little oil on those areas. Dealing with the Woodruff
      key in the bull gear is a bit tricky.

      Jon
    • auag85201
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 4, 2013

         thanks guys,,since they changed the forum around i can find anything,,robert....i cant find the owner written report you mentioned..can you send a link?...

        --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, <atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

        auag85201@... wrote:

        > what is the proceedure for changing the spindle bearings on an old 10
        > inch atlas lathe?...also how do you set the preload on them?
        Scott has pointed you to the instructions. But, I recommend making a pair
        of discs on the lathe before tearing it apart, or using another lathe.
        One fits in each end on the spindle, with a step to center it in the
        bore and prevent
        slipping, and a center drill hole in the other side. Then, you need a
        gear puller.
        This makes it very easy to push the spindle out through the bearings.
        Also, make
        sure the area where the bearings will slide over the spindle are clean of
        grit, and maybe wipe a little oil on those areas. Dealing with the Woodruff
        key in the bull gear is a bit tricky.

        Jon
      • jerry Herrera
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 5, 2013
          I just completed the install of my bearings using Scotts WEB page as referrence.  It was alot of help. If you have ever repacked the wheel bearings for a car basically the same process.