Re: [atlas_craftsman] This should be easy: Fair value guestimate on 101.07383

  • Mike Heidrick
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 29, 2013

      Someday you will kill to be able to give that lathe away to him for free.

      On Aug 27, 2013 1:49 PM, <yaeffinhoo@...> wrote:

      Afternoon everybody,
      I'm upgrading and will be selling my old Craftsman 12x36 lathe (probably) to my father.  I know about what I'd like to get from it as a "family deal", but I want to make sure that I haven't missed the mark drastically so I don't overcharge him.  I've checked craigslist and ebay, but there seems to be a lot of high asking prices and not a lot of examples showing what they actually sell for.

      Anyway, this is a 101.07383 model with babbitt headstock, and no power cross feed.  It is in very good condition.  Not pristine but it's seen remarkably little use considering its age.  I'll be selling it with a steadyrest, 3 and 4 jaw chucks, lantern toolpost, probably a 4 way quick change tool post, a couple tailstock drill chucks, various centers, faceplate and drive dogs, lots of tool steel, spare motor, milling attachment, two+ sets of change gears and probably a few other odds and ends.

      Forget asking prices, I'm curious to know what everybody thinks a reasonable selling price would be for a combo like this after negotiating with a buyer/seller.  I'm going to get a fair amount less than market value since its staying in the family, but I would like to have a solid idea of market value to begin with.

      Thanks for the input.
      Scott

    • yaeffinhoo

        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 30, 2013
          yaeffinhoo@... wrote:

          > Is there a major difference between the value on the roller bearing
          > units and the babbitt units?
          Badly worn babbit bearings are a disaster. I had one, and upgraded to a
          roller
          bearing headstock. But, good babbit bearings are fine, as long as you
          keep them lubed.
          And, if the roller bearings go bad, it is simple shade-tree mechanics to
          replace them.

          Jon
        • yaeffinhoo
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 30, 2013

            Condition will affect the value of any unit.  I guess I was asking if there's that much of a difference in value just based on the fact that it's not a roller bearing unit in spite of its good condition....   FWIW, the headstock in mine still has most or all of the adjusting shims under the bearing caps.  It's seen very little use over the years and is in great shape.  When I originally got it I was thinking about upgrading like you did Jon.  But the general opinion I got here and elsewhere was "don't bother, it's not worth the cost/effort unless yours is shot".  I actually sold a roller bearing lathe I purchased on the cheap because it was sloppier than my babbitt unit (not only the headstock, the ways and leadscrews as well).

            --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, <elson@...> wrote:

            yaeffinhoo@... wrote:

            > Is there a major difference between the value on the roller bearing
            > units and the babbitt units?
            Badly worn babbit bearings are a disaster. I had one, and upgraded to a
            roller
            bearing headstock. But, good babbit bearings are fine, as long as you
            keep them lubed.
            And, if the roller bearings go bad, it is simple shade-tree mechanics to
            replace them.

            Jon
          • a8050266
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 30, 2013
              Although mine is a 10" model. Seems the same question has come up.
              is their a difference. pros / cons
              My first lathe was a 10 Babbit style setup.
              Upon inspection the bearings were pretty damaged. and needed replacing imho.
              after weighing my options. I replaced the entire headstock with a bearing style unit. I too inspected the bearing to find they were in excellent shape.
              So for me. The bearings offered a viable/NOW solution. Also, Im confident I can replace the bearings if need be in the future. As for the babbit bearings? I didnt feel the need to become an expert in pouring them too. as my plate is full of other projects. So can it be done? surely. is it feasible? this entirely depends on the user.
              in the end Im pro bearing.
              again fwiw.
              best luck
              Sam

              --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, Jon Elson <elson@...> wrote:

              > yaeffinhoo@... wrote:
              > >
              > > Is there a major difference between the value on the roller bearing
              > > units and the babbitt units?
              > Badly worn babbit bearings are a disaster. I had one, and upgraded to a
              > roller
              > bearing headstock. But, good babbit bearings are fine, as long as you
              > keep them lubed.
              > And, if the roller bearings go bad, it is simple shade-tree mechanics to
              > replace them.
              >
              > Jon

            • James Smith
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 30, 2013

                Thoughts on Babbitt. I just joined the group this month and have been watching with interest the different posts. I purchased an Atlas 10" TH54 with an assorted amount of tooling at auction for $400.00 it has the Timken bearing head and seems to be in very good shape. I can see several new bearings and everything seems to be tight. It is replacing an older lathe that had a Babbitt head. I had no problems with the Babbitt head except a little heat buildup if running at higher speeds. I have a friend who for years was an active member of an old engine club. Many old engines have Babbitt bearing that need replacing. If you need new Babbitt bearing look for an old engine club in your area and most likely someone will pour you new bearings for the price of the Babbitt. Depending on the Babbitt type (compound of metals) it can be spendy.

                JS