Re: [atlas_craftsman] new bearing races

    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 24, 2013
      It might, but given that pulling the cup straight out wouldn't or shouldn't do that, you may be talking about a gouge on one or two sides.  If that happened, the new cup might be distorted or moved sideways which would affect the alignment.

      In a message dated 08/21/2013 09:38:13 AM Central Daylight Time, jerster1959@... writes:
      If while removing the old bearing. If any material was removed would that cause a loose fit

      Robert Downs - Houston
    • jerry Herrera
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 26, 2013
        Thanks..next question.I noticed that on the rear pully shaft that runs thru two brass bushings. On top there is a threaded hole on each side. Im guessing its to oil the shaft. Only the hole doesn't go thru. It look like it stops on top of the bushing. Shouldnt it go thru so oil can get to the shaft.

        ------------------------------
        On Sat, Aug 24, 2013 1:46 PM PDT wa5cab@... wrote:

        >It might, but given that pulling the cup straight out wouldn't or shouldn't
        >do that, you may be talking about a gouge on one or two sides. If that
        >happened, the new cup might be distorted or moved sideways which would affect
        >the alignment.
        >
        >In a message dated 08/21/2013 09:38:13 AM Central Daylight Time,
        >jerster1959@... writes:
        >> If while removing the old bearing. If any material was removed would that
        >> cause a loose fit
        >>

        >Robert Downs - Houston
        >wa5cab dot com (Web Store)
        >MVPA 9480
      • Scott Henion
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 26, 2013
          On 8/26/2013 4:28 PM, jerry Herrera wrote:
          > Thanks..next question.I noticed that on the rear pully shaft that runs thru two brass bushings. On top there is a threaded hole on each side. Im guessing its to oil the shaft. Only the hole doesn't go thru. It look like it stops on top of the bushing. Shouldnt it go thru so oil can get to the shaft.

          I believe those are sintered bronze bushings. So, they are porous and
          will absorb the oil.

          I replaced the shaft on mine and did not see any hole in the bushings. I
          still see oil dripping down from the ends.

          Scott G. Henion
          Craftsman 12x36 lathe: http://shdesigns.org/Craftsman12x36
          Welding pages and homemade welder: http://shdesigns.org/Welding
        • jerry Herrera
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 26, 2013
            Thank you.

            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 26, 2013
              As Scott already wrote, the bushings aren't brass, they are sintered bronze.  If you already bought brass bushings from the local auto parts place, you need to find something else to use them for..

              Oiling procedure/practice is to keep the oil cup full.  Or put another way, don't ever let them run dry.  And unlike on the spindle bearings, the oil cups should not have felt in them.