Re: [atlas_craftsman] new bearing races

  • jerry Herrera
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 20, 2013
      I setup a angle plate secured to the ways parallel to the spindle head.side view.

      ------------------------------

      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 20, 2013
        Seems to me that either the angle plate isn't perpendicular to the ways or the cup isn't bottomed in the counterbored hole.

        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 21, 2013
          If while removing the old bearing. If any material was removed would that cause a loose fit

          ------------------------------

          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 24, 2013
            It might, but given that pulling the cup straight out wouldn't or shouldn't do that, you may be talking about a gouge on one or two sides.  If that happened, the new cup might be distorted or moved sideways which would affect the alignment.

            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 26, 2013
              Thanks..next question.I noticed that on the rear pully shaft that runs thru two brass bushings. On top there is a threaded hole on each side. Im guessing its to oil the shaft. Only the hole doesn't go thru. It look like it stops on top of the bushing. Shouldnt it go thru so oil can get to the shaft.

              ------------------------------
              On Sat, Aug 24, 2013 1:46 PM PDT wa5cab@... wrote:

              >It might, but given that pulling the cup straight out wouldn't or shouldn't
              >do that, you may be talking about a gouge on one or two sides. If that
              >happened, the new cup might be distorted or moved sideways which would affect
              >the alignment.
              >
              >In a message dated 08/21/2013 09:38:13 AM Central Daylight Time,
              >jerster1959@... writes:
              >> If while removing the old bearing. If any material was removed would that
              >> cause a loose fit
              >>

              >Robert Downs - Houston
              >wa5cab dot com (Web Store)
              >MVPA 9480
            • Scott Henion
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 26, 2013
                On 8/26/2013 4:28 PM, jerry Herrera wrote:
                > Thanks..next question.I noticed that on the rear pully shaft that runs thru two brass bushings. On top there is a threaded hole on each side. Im guessing its to oil the shaft. Only the hole doesn't go thru. It look like it stops on top of the bushing. Shouldnt it go thru so oil can get to the shaft.

                I believe those are sintered bronze bushings. So, they are porous and
                will absorb the oil.

                I replaced the shaft on mine and did not see any hole in the bushings. I
                still see oil dripping down from the ends.

                Scott G. Henion
                Craftsman 12x36 lathe: http://shdesigns.org/Craftsman12x36
                Welding pages and homemade welder: http://shdesigns.org/Welding
              • jerry Herrera
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 26, 2013
                  Thank you.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 26, 2013
                    As Scott already wrote, the bushings aren't brass, they are sintered bronze.  If you already bought brass bushings from the local auto parts place, you need to find something else to use them for..

                    Oiling procedure/practice is to keep the oil cup full.  Or put another way, don't ever let them run dry.  And unlike on the spindle bearings, the oil cups should not have felt in them.