Re: New Member question

  • ebrucehunter
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 18, 2013
      For those looking for small quantities of Varsol solvent (Shell), I had it on excellent authority that the company sold the same product as charcoal lighter fluid.  This was in the 1990s. In California, charcoal lighter fluids might currently be formulated a little differently  as they seem to have less odor than the older fluids (or age is crippling my sense of smell).

      bruce
    • Dennes Forsmo
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 18, 2013
        I've found that toluene was a great solvent for cleaning up my 101.07301 that had a lot of old oil and grease on it/ I also found that wd40 and Scoth Brite pads with some elbow grease do a good job on rust.

        Dennes Forsmo

        On Sun, Aug 18, 2013 at 4:34 PM, Ed <edcetera@...> wrote:

        Thanks guys

        I used alcohol as suggested below that works well and then I read about the LPS which I have here already, I used the LPS after cleaning with alcohol, its getting there, lots of things to clean and adjust.

        Thank you all for your suggestions.

        Sincerely / Ed

        --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, "stevewatr" <stevewatr@...> wrote:

        > Had to laugh reading about the broken handles because the lathe I just bought has a modified mid 70's car window crank as a replacement. Teenagers would not even notice it, but others havre gotten a chuckle. Photos of my lathe are coming soon as time permits......it's a rare model.
        >
        > Steve.
        >
        > --- In atlas_craftsman@yahoogroups.com, Scott Henion <shenion@> wrote:
        > >
        > > On 8/18/2013 10:10 AM, Ed wrote:
        > > > 1/ Cleaning: This machine was the only metal working device in a 2 car garage full of wood working equipment.
        > > > I see it this way, Oil film on lathe and wood sanding dust all over it baked on by mid Florida heat and humidity, this thing has an abrasive feeling and I want to clean it as easily as possible without harming the paint, decals or the quick change legend plate.
        > > >
        > > > What do you use to clean a dirty lathe ? I know from experience a lot of damage can occur at this point...
        > >
        > > I start with denatured alcohol. Has always worked well and does not
        > > effect paint. If I need a more aggressive cleaner, I use mineral spirits.
        > >
        > > > 2/ Crank knobs broken on cross slide, where to get them ?
        > > > Is there a for sale section I havent found yet
        > > > both 10d-308 and L2-61
        > >
        > > You can find them on ebay for insane prices. Both the cross slide and
        > > compound handles were broken on mine. I managed to fix one and made
        > > another from scratch .
        > >
        > > One I made from an old weed trimmer engine flywheel I turned down to a
        > > disk. Another was just a square bar I drilled and put a bolt on the ends
        > > and handles. Only hard part was cutting the keyway and I used a jig saw
        > > with 2 blades.
        > >
        > > Here's an example on making handwheels:
        > > http://www.mini-lathe.com/Mini_lathe/projects/handwheels/handwheels.htm
        > >
        > > You can get generic handwheels from places like enco (use-enco.com).
        > >
        > > --

        > > Scott G. Henion
        > > Craftsman 12x36 lathe: http://shdesigns.org/Craftsman12x36
        > > Welding pages and homemade welder: http://shdesigns.org/Welding

      • inspiro_creo
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 18, 2013
          One solution that I have been successful with is Mineral Spirits. I've used it to clean out decades of crud inside of old electric motors and just recently my Atlas Shaper 7B. I've re-used the container many times by letting the dirty used mineral spirit sit overnight. The crud would settle to the bottom, then I would carefully pour the upper cleaner solvent through a coffee filter. Just a thought, David-NJ

          > I've found that toluene was a great solvent for cleaning up my 101.07301

        • Clockguy2
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 19, 2013
            Walmart has a cheap version of WD-40 in an 8oz. can marked Super Tech "lubricant". You can find it in the auto care section near the oil additives. An old tooth brush helps loosen up tough spots. Rust comes off with WD-40 and #0000 steel wool or scotch brite pads. The last two are abrasive so use caution on bed ways and sliding parts that wear. wipe the grime off with paper towels. The lubricant is also handy in machining aluminum.

            Bryan Smith
            Summerville, SC