Re: [atlas_craftsman] OT New to me chuck

  • Heath Boyer
    Message 1 of 34 , Aug 13, 2013

    I have meant to do this for a long time but all the talk of rust removal prompts me to mention a remarkable product I stumbled over after I bought my Atlas 07403 with a huge assortment of rusty bits and pieces.

    I have used naval jelly and other corrosive stuff in the past and didn’t want to go there again. Electrolysis scares the poop out of me.   I found a product called Evaporust which is an environmentally friendly, non-toxic, non corrosive liquid.  Less than 30 bucks a gallon.  You can put your hands in it, and you can put it in your septic. The chemistry relies on chelation.  I have no connection to the company except as an amazed and happy customer.  Soak the bits for anywhere from a few hours to overnight, rinse and wipe dry.  Burnishing or brushing is optional.  I then sprayed with WD40.  The solution is re-usable until it stops working.  It assumes a dark color and gives off a very faintly metallic odor. I pour it into plastic containers of various shapes and sizes depending on what I want to clean. That way I can cover it and leave it.  The chuck in the photo I put in the solution on edge to show the contrast.  I shared some before and after samples with my pals around here and none of them had ever seen anything like it.  All my 70 year old gear looks like new.  When I did my three chucks I soaked them, drained them and then disassembled and cleaned and lubed before reassembly.  Smooth as butter and dead nuts true.

    Check it out here: http://www.evaporust.com/evaporust.html?gclid=CJXj3LOH-7gCFYOe4AodsA0ADg

    I took some before and after stuff to my local hardware guy who promptly said he was going to get True Value to carry it.  I can’t find it retail except by mail.  Amazon carries it.

    I’ve attached some before and after photos of my stuff.  There is a lot more, but these give you a pretty vivid sense of what happens.

     Good luck

    Heath

  • James Irwin
    Message 34 of 34 , Aug 15, 2013
      Re: [atlas_craftsman] OT New to me chuck I checked with all/most of the Lowes all around Austin, and found them all at $8.98 per Qt.

      FWIW

      Advantage Auto Parts is very near and right across the street from Tractor Supply, so I guess I’ll buy there!
      Advantage has it online for $8.99 per qt and $22.99 per gal

      Thanks for the thread and “revelations”.

      Jim

      On 8/15/13 1:52 PM, "James Irwin" wrote:

      Wow!  When I opened this I got $8.98, but it was from my local store. I changed my store to Allen and got $4.49.
      Way crazy this!

      Jim I

      On 8/15/13 5:28 AM, "Wayne Kube" wrote:

      OK, here is the link to the Lowes in Allen, TX with the Evapo-rust at $4.49/qt:
      http://www.lowes.com/pd_253358-37650-ER004_0__?Ntt=evaporust&UserSearch=%22evapo+rust%22&productId=3711108&rpp=32

      In case that link is too long and gets truncated, here is a Tiny URL version:
      http://tinyurl.com/lzec3kg

      Local Tractor Supply also has it for $21.99/gal

      Wayne Kube
      Lucas, TX